Best food for Doberman's

Griff

Hello community,
I am coming here with a heavy heart but on a mission to educate myself. I lost my 6.5 year old beloved Dallas to DCM. Since he was diagnosed on Friday 8/13/2021 (sadly passed the following Tuesday) I have some doubts about the pet food I have bene using. I was very confident Natural Balance, no grain, limited diet Potato and Duck was the very best I could give my baby, but now I am not sure after learning about a dog's need for Terrine, which is missing in non grain dry and wet food. I still have his niece and she is doing well at 3.5 years, however, after reading up on VASTLY different opinions from various sites, I decided to come here and get insight from actual Doberman owners. I am also reaching out to different reputable Doberman breeders in my journey of educating myself before I get another Doberman. Any and all feedback, experiences shared and insight are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm so sorry about your loss. :sorrow:

Unfortunately DCM is a big problem with this breed and it can happen with the best of care. The taurine thing still isn't researched enough (there are tons of "opinions") but if the food is working for your other dogs, I'd stick with it since there's no proof that the food was the cause of the DCM. You could always add a taurine supplement if you want though.

SO very very sorry for your loss.....I have lost 2 to DCM...very heartbreaking. You can add Taurine, I have "heard" that it will not hurt, but always good to discuss with your vet. There is alot of info on food and supplements for Dobermans online....what I have learned from Cardiologists that I have been to, is fish oil is a beneficial supplement to add to a Dobermans diet. Just throwing it out there...I use Krill Oil daily.

I'm so sorry about your loss. :sorrow:

Unfortunately DCM is a big problem with this breed and it can happen with the best of care. The taurine thing still isn't researched enough (there are tons of "opinions") but if the food is working for your other dogs, I'd stick with it since there's no proof that the food was the cause of the DCM. You could always add a taurine supplement if you want though.
Thank you for taking to time to respond. That's a good idea to add supplements I will explore. Thx

SO very very sorry for your loss.....I have lost 2 to DCM...very heartbreaking. You can add Taurine, I have "heard" that it will not hurt, but always good to discuss with your vet. There is alot of info on food and supplements for Dobermans online....what I have learned from Cardiologists that I have been to, is fish oil is a beneficial supplement to add to a Dobermans diet. Just throwing it out there...I use Krill Oil daily.
Thank you for the response and wow! Two dogs lost to DCM. I cannot imagine the pain. Still dealing with my sadness over one. At any rate, my breeder mentioned he gives his dogs salmon fish oil, so I think I will add that to their diet. Works for humans, so can't be bad for our poochies. Have a good one.

Sorry for your loss, we lost our girl Prada this year to DCM. She was 7 years old. Unfortunately, I don’t believe diet plays a roll as much as genetics do. If that were the case we would have lost all of our dogs. All 6 at the time eat Diamond extreme Athlete with Vertex. Redman passed at 11 years our other 4 still all doing fine. Azula 8, Iroh 7, Blaze almost 5, Picasso 4.

Sorry for your loss, we lost our girl Prada this year to DCM. She was 7 years old. Unfortunately, I don’t believe diet plays a roll as much as genetics do. If that were the case we would have lost all of our dogs. All 6 at the time eat Diamond extreme Athlete with Vertex. Redman passed at 11 years our other 4 still all doing fine. Azula 8, Iroh 7, Blaze almost 5, Picasso 4.
That puts a well needed smile on my face to read 11 years and the 8yr and 7yr old going strong. Thank you. As I am reading more and more, I am seeing there is no hard core evidence about diet. Just stick to quality brand that works for their tummy. :) I am ordering a DNA kit for Dakota, his 3.5yr old niece. If she has any DCM or any other potential harmful traits, I wanna know now so I can get her treatment early rather than later. Again, thanks for chiming in.

I am ordering a DNA kit for Dakota, his 3.5yr old niece. If she has any DCM or any other potential harmful traits, I wanna know now so I can get her treatment early rather than later. Again, thanks for chiming in.
You won't know that without echo and holter. The DNA kit simply detects markers only 2 of however many that we don't even know about. And being positive for the two doesn't mean they'll ever get DCM. Echo and holter is the best way to go for early detection.

You won't know that without echo and holter. The DNA kit simply detects markers only 2 of however many that we don't even know about. And being positive for the two doesn't mean they'll ever get DCM. Echo and holter is the best way to go for early detection.
Thanks. I will Google that and check it out. I am not necessarily looking for a magic tell all crystal ball, but any DNA test (which I already ordered) will give me more insight than I have now.

So very sorry for your loss, having lost my dear boy on August 2nd this year I can aged 8 1/2 understand your heavy heart, there definitely isn't any magic crystal ball as this horrible illness can be so different how and when it shows any symptoms if any in our furry friends, would definitely have regular echo and holter testing along with the dna test, wishing you all the best I know i would search for everything to help any chance off earlier detection if I could.

I don't remember where I copied this from originally; probably Doberman Diversity Project, but I share with people curious about DCM.
The genetic testing helps breeders with making choices. You don't want to breed "homozygus' to homozygus because it is 2 copies of the one gene x 2......in an ideal world, wouldn't want to breed any of them with the genetic marker, but then we wouldn't have any dobermans!

Recommended Testing Protocol for Cardiac Disease. Annual echocardiograms (an ultrasound of the heart), together with 24 hour Holter Monitoring, provides a snapshot of a dog's current heart health at that moment in time. Your vet can also perform a simple blood test that measures the concentration of NTproBNP in your dog's blood and is a good indicator of heart health. It is important to understand that test results can be normal one year and a dog can show signs of DCM the very next year. This is why breeders must perform ANNUAL heart screening. Two DNA genetic tests are available; they identify two mutations (PDK4) and DCM2) that are thought to be associated with DCM. The tests involves a simple cheek swab and don't necessitate a veterinary visit.

Genetic testing for cardio problems is, at present, an incomplete science. Geneticists do not yet have a firm understanding of what causes DCM in Dobermans. That said, there are two genetic tests for mutations known to be associated with DCM. Note that an association is not the same as causation or prediction. These two mutation tests are called PDK4 (sometimes referred to as DCM1) and DCM2. We believe that the DNA tests for the DCM1 and DCM2 genetic mutations, while not conclusive as to future health, are likely of some value. Two "negative" DNA test results (PDK4 and DCM2) in any dog may be the BEST result possible, but should not be considered to be a prediction or conclusive evidence that a 'clear' dog will not develop DCM. There is no such thing as "DCM Clear."

If you look at the ingredients list on a bag of Kibble Taurine in not listed (but on some Taurine is listed). But Methionine and Cysteine are listed these two amino acids are synthesized in the Liver in to Taurine.

Some studies you need to research much further and ask questions.
#1 Is this a totally independent funded study with NO Ties to any pet food company. Because you will find deception by just following the $$$$$

This was posted on another post.

Dr. Dodds reports on the recent findings

FDA and DCM in Dogs Updates August 2021​

August 27, 2021 / Nutrition / By Hemopet

And this article makes it more confusing.

DEBUNKING PET FOOD MYTHS AND MISCONCEPTIONS​

DCM and grain-free pet foods: 3 strikes and you’re out!​

Last edited:
I appreciate you posting the second confusing article on grain free & DCM. Confusing yes, but as you said: follow the money. Purina supporting studies, yet nobody discusses the problem of genetically modified corn and soy in Purina. That can't be good for dogs....
I feed Canidae grain free because my dog stopped doing well on Fromm Gold after being on it for a few years. It was the chicken he has developed a sensitivity to, found out by trial and error.

I appreciate you posting the second confusing article on grain free & DCM. Confusing yes, but as you said: follow the money. Purina supporting studies, yet nobody discusses the problem of genetically modified corn and soy in Purina. That can't be good for dogs....
I feed Canidae grain free because my dog stopped doing well on Fromm Gold after being on it for a few years. It was the chicken he has developed a sensitivity to, found out by trial and error.

Yes GMO's and Glyphosate (Roundup) may kill the healthy bacteria in the gut, leading to a bacterial imbalance. Which can cause Allergies or Sensitivities. GMO crops causing a separation of gut cells leading to a leaky gut. Hence leaking into the blood stream.

Also it goes beyond food what other things cause Allergies or Sensitivities. Giving your or putting on Pesticides on our pets. Over vaccinations is another. They don't cause Allergies but can trigger them.

Two things to spin all these pet food companies minds is to call them and ask 1# How many GMO Grains or Veggies are in their foods? #2 Are their foods tested for Glyphosate? They will be doing this :pullhair:

I understand that we humans have alarmingly high amounts (Powers that be claim "acceptable" levels) of glyphosate in our systems :wtf3:. I can't even imagine what our dogs have :shock:

I totally agree with avoiding cheap food, but again, DCM in the Doberman breed is clearly genetic and a better diet will only help, but not prevent DCM. I personally try to avoid non-meat portions, especially peas & lentils. As stated above, find a breeder who understands genetics and that both sire & dam have genetic testing to avoid doubling up on a common gene and that they both have had recent / yearly Holter & Echo heart tests. And then cross your fingers when you bring your puppy home. @Griff I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I hope you do find room in your heart for another Doberman one day. If you do, step on those breeders toes for proof of being dedicated to improving the Doberman breed by doing all they can for the litter they are producing and refuse to buy from back yard breeders who don't have a clue. I'm one of those who purchased from someone who did all the right things and I was happy that my girls DNA came back with no markers for the DCM1 or DCM2 gene.... then her sire died of sudden death at age 7. So even testing only goes so far. But it's the only breed for me and I don't think I'll ever change.

Had the same experience years ago....no DCM1 or 2 in parents, and our girls sire died at 7 from DCM.....so even if they don't have the gene, no guarentees due to many other factors we can only pray they discover. Found out by snooping around on Dobequest. Thankful that people are posting cause of death....and like you; ONLY breed for me as well. Just have to love them each day and live in the moment with them.

We found that feeding King freshly prepared food off natural foods ie, brown rice or wholemeal pasta along with offal fish and vegetables was more beneficial to him around removing all store bought pet foods, we knew exactly what he had in his diet every day no added crap from food manufacturers.

More about Glyphosate and GMO's

1630588857661.png

Back