• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Adult dog and a puppy

Kalinka

We have a 8 year old female Doberman, who is a sweet nice dog. She knows all the basic commands and done some agility training. She is great with people and dogs ( went to multiple day cares, dog parks and dog beaches). We’ve never had any problems with her, she accepted our baby greately and became his best friend. The only thing I can remember is that for some reason she doesn’t like small Neighbor’s dog, barks at her and tried to chase her once. She also had an experience living with other dog earlier in life. We just got our new Doberman puppy and brought her home. Our dog does not shows any signs of aggression, however acting a little weird. After brief smelling the puppy she avoids any contact with him, tries to stay in a distance and overall looks really nervous and not too thrilled. It makes me really worried what could happened next and could she possibly attack the puppy, what can we do to prevent that? Overall what would be the best way to help them get along? Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you!

Wow, I have no personal experience here but hope others will come onboard with advice soon. I would suggest that it might be best to not force interactions and let your older girl choose her times, always under supervision. And keeping your own attitude as down to earth and ordinary as possible may reassure her that all is well and it's nothing to worry about. It is important to not set up anything negative at the start so slowly, slowly with the interactions while still giving quality individual time to your good older dog so she feels part of the family still. Puppies can be all consuming of time and effort! Hopefully she settles down very soon. :) Is your pup a boy or girl? If a girl it might become a problem as she matures with same sex aggression, but that is another subject!

I wonder if what you’re seeing is just a senior dog not liking the new puppy because, that’s usually how it is. They typically have less tolerance for puppy antics and puppies can be hard on the older dogs body. Agree that you should act normal and not think about that past neighbor dog. Others with more experience will be able to comment further.

If shes never been aggressive in situations just supervise and let them work it out. Just stick to the same boss position and give them both structure. Ive always staggered my dogs age wise in order to keep a similar behavior pattern. It works for pooping in discrete places well.

I have a 9 year old labrador who was getting exhausted with my then 10 week old puppy. Hes nipped him many times. But in a way to tell him to knock it off. Hes also hidden in corners or escaped to rooms to get the hell away from him. They love playing fetch together and getting their after dinner greenies together. If youre not dealing with an unpredictable dog and can at least get them to walk together, or eat from seperate hands at the same time, then theyll get along with your direction.

Back