5 months, how do these ears look?

Glad you heeded @AresMyDobie advice. Both her and @MyBuddy are right. These folks here have years of experience. Just look at their picts.

If the bridge is kept on too long, it can develop pockets and cause the ears to tee-pee in.
9BBBD921-3046-4813-8348-CF2344251A5D.jpeg

With bridge off, the post/ears will flop around. This is normal and okay. Remember that the ears will not be straight vertical all the time, usually only when they call them on alert.

I’m glad you’re moving in the direction of posting yourself, I don’t think you’d be offending your vet 4-5 months of weekly posting is a lot of time and money. Ask for a lesson. Let them do one ear and you do the other. Although their posting job is rather unique it almost looks like half posts with zip-tie at the top. Can you take a side pic of the post?

Hey @Kaiser2016 didn’t you have your vet do all the posting? Was there that much tape? I know each dog’s ears are different but how long did you post for?

Glad you heeded @AresMyDobie advice. Both her and @MyBuddy are right. These folks here have years of experience. Just look at their picts.

If the bridge is kept on too long, it can develop pockets and cause the ears to tee-pee in.
View attachment 85151

With bridge off, the post/ears will flop around. This is normal and okay. Remember that the ears will not be straight vertical all the time, usually only when they call them on alert.
Okay great thank you for all the advice.

I’m glad you’re moving in the direction of posting yourself, I don’t think you’d be offending your vet 4-5 months of weekly posting is a lot of time and money. Ask for a lesson. Let them do one ear and you do the other. Although their posting job is rather unique it almost looks like half posts with zip-tie at the top. Can you take a side pic of the post?

Hey @Kaiser2016 didn’t you have your vet do all the posting? Was there that much tape? I know each dog’s ears are different but how long did you post for?
Yes that’s a good point I can definitely say it’s getting too expensive. Yes I can I’m not home at the moment but when I am I will post a pic.

Don't feel bad. I've been on this board for 10 years and I've heard my share of vets who do not know how to post. They may be excellent at cropping but the aftercare sometimes is something to be desired. I would listen to people here who have posted for a long time, on many dogs, and whose ears are standing beautifully! I've had a doberman in my life for about 25 years but have only posted on my very first. So it's not my expertise anymore LOL. But for a lot of people on here, it is! The one thing I've learned is it does not take a lot of tape to do it correctly. And the funny thing is, most pictures that I have seen where a vet has posted ears, they are completely covered in tape! It doesn't have to be that way to be done correctly. Not only is it a waste of tape, but I feel covering the complete ear with tape is counterproductive. Your boy is gorgeous and taking out the centerpiece was a good idea. Doing it yourself can be frustrating at first but it won't be long before you are a pro! If you run into trouble, just ask someone here. There are many people here to help you!
I agree! Thank you so much for all the advice I appreciate it so much!

Oh and yes they are zip ties at the top

I would use the backer rod method it’s very simple.
You can order closed cell 1/2” backer rods on amazon along with everything thing else you need.
This would be my list:
1/2” closed cell backer rods
Gorilla tape ( to strengthen the rods, 2 pieces per rod leaving a 1/2” inch of rod out, that’s the part that goes in the canal)
Kendall curasilk tape ( for back taping aka sticky side out the rod)
Zonas tape by Johnson and Johnson ( to wrap around the ears)
Unisolve adhesive remover ( to remove the back taped ear)
Baby powder ( for the backs of the ear)
70% isophoric rubbing alcohol ( to clean the ear in between postings, drys fast doesn’t hurt.)
Cotton rounds ( to clean ears, also can cut into rectangular shape and wrap bottoms of posts to prevent post run)

That’s all I use :)

I took it down. That’s his ears alert. I’m holding a toy to get his attention. Good? Now I see why everyone is encouraging me to do it on my own three pieces of tape and a rod thingy and it’s done. I go back to the vet Friday and don’t want to offend him lol. So after I’ll do it on my own.

View attachment 85150 View attachment 85149
Yay :) yes I think this looks much better and you’ll have straighter ears :)

We met a retired Dobe breeder who did all the consulting prior to cropping and then did the posting for us (and tons of others). It was either $5 or $10 each time. Kaiser got a medium crop with thin ear leather so we were done by 5-ish months. Just in time for Christmas. We expected one more posting and got a good surprise when she said he didn't need it. Hers lasted 2 weeks but they sure looked ragged by the end.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The only thing I would add to the supply list is surgical scissors. I think I got mine at CVS. Probably a bit over the top but I like that they could cut through anything and had a rounded tip.

Back