Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

5 months, how do these ears look?

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by ginab0188, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Glad you heeded @AresMyDobie advice. Both her and @MyBuddy are right. These folks here have years of experience. Just look at their picts.

If the bridge is kept on too long, it can develop pockets and cause the ears to tee-pee in.
    9BBBD921-3046-4813-8348-CF2344251A5D.jpeg

With bridge off, the post/ears will flop around. This is normal and okay. Remember that the ears will not be straight vertical all the time, usually only when they call them on alert.

• Like Like x 2
  2. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I’m glad you’re moving in the direction of posting yourself, I don’t think you’d be offending your vet 4-5 months of weekly posting is a lot of time and money. Ask for a lesson. Let them do one ear and you do the other. Although their posting job is rather unique it almost looks like half posts with zip-tie at the top. Can you take a side pic of the post?

Hey @Kaiser2016 didn’t you have your vet do all the posting? Was there that much tape? I know each dog’s ears are different but how long did you post for?

• Like Like x 1
  3. ginab0188

ginab0188 New Member

Okay great thank you for all the advice.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ginab0188

ginab0188 New Member

Yes that’s a good point I can definitely say it’s getting too expensive. Yes I can I’m not home at the moment but when I am I will post a pic.

5. ginab0188

ginab0188 New Member

I agree! Thank you so much for all the advice I appreciate it so much!

6. ginab0188

ginab0188 New Member

Oh and yes they are zip ties at the top

7. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I would use the backer rod method it’s very simple.
    You can order closed cell 1/2” backer rods on amazon along with everything thing else you need.
    This would be my list:
    1/2” closed cell backer rods
    Gorilla tape ( to strengthen the rods, 2 pieces per rod leaving a 1/2” inch of rod out, that’s the part that goes in the canal)
    Kendall curasilk tape ( for back taping aka sticky side out the rod)
    Zonas tape by Johnson and Johnson ( to wrap around the ears)
    Unisolve adhesive remover ( to remove the back taped ear)
    Baby powder ( for the backs of the ear)
    70% isophoric rubbing alcohol ( to clean the ear in between postings, drys fast doesn’t hurt.)
    Cotton rounds ( to clean ears, also can cut into rectangular shape and wrap bottoms of posts to prevent post run)

That’s all I use :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yay :) yes I think this looks much better and you’ll have straighter ears :)

9. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

We met a retired Dobe breeder who did all the consulting prior to cropping and then did the posting for us (and tons of others). It was either $5 or $10 each time. Kaiser got a medium crop with thin ear leather so we were done by 5-ish months. Just in time for Christmas. We expected one more posting and got a good surprise when she said he didn't need it. Hers lasted 2 weeks but they sure looked ragged by the end.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

10. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

The only thing I would add to the supply list is surgical scissors. I think I got mine at CVS. Probably a bit over the top but I like that they could cut through anything and had a rounded tip.

• Agree Agree x 2