Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

10 month old uncontrollable off leash

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by dsut, Oct 1, 2019.

1. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Most of the time we mean outside. But you can keep something like this on her in the house...
    They make some that don't have a handle on the end. Or you can just cut it off I guess . Then you can just leave it hang and not worry about it being caught on something. But you will be able to grab it to give a correction when needed.

But unless they have the recall down pat, leaving them loose outside only shows them that they can play keep-away! Put her on a long line and practice recall by giving the command and reeling her in to you. Make yourself the most interesting and fun thing outside! LOL she'll want to come to you! 10 months old is a trying age as they are testing boundaries. Keep those boundaries! Make her work for everything.

What is she doing that makes her unmanageable in the house? Work on things like making her sit when you answer the door. Or just sit and be calm for a moment. You yourself must become too. I know how it is when they are getting rambunctious and you're trying to correct them and you're getting excited too. They're not listening, you're grabbing for them and perhaps raising your voice. It's an exciting situation that's only riling them up more. Plus making it into a game to them.

We have a bullmastiff next door to us who is about 5 years old and still acts like a puppy! They never really taught him not to jump or pull on the leash, and that's fine for them. But not when they greet other people. I love the dog and he loves me and when she walks him past our property and I am outside, he practically drags her over to me! I'm always happy to see him and probably rile him up a little bit loving on him. But he can get rough only because of his size and weight and happy attitude! He's like a bull! She has to hold him back so he doesn't knock me down. :wideyed: And usually I will stand up and put my finger up like Cesar Millan and say HEY! Shhhhhh! :tap: I make him sit calmly and only then will I come and pet him. And he usually reacts! He knows if he wants me to pet him he better sit calmly. So you can see they can react to your demeanor and what you are expecting. When he first comes to me I am baby talking and petting him. But when he starts to get over-excited and wanting to jump up on me or run his paw down my leg :)wideyed: I often have a long black and blue mark from that!) I back off, take a breath and a stance that says, calm down !

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dsut

dsut New Member

Thanks so much for above advice. We keep a short leash on her in the home as she is relatively calm and well behaved some of the time and then turns for no apparent reason and starts nipping, jumping, barking & bolting away. I know she wants to play and if I fetch her tugtoy and play with her she’s fine, but if I can’t play at that point she’s very difficult to ignore. Her bites and jumps hurt and she won’t listen to commands in that mood. My Dogwalker walks her off leash on the mountain a few times a week with other dogs and he says she’s great 80% of the time and always friendly to dogs and people, but out the blue she will become uncontrollable and jump
    Up on him and nip so he has to put her on a leash. He says he’s never experienced this before. She gets like that at dogtraining as well when she’s off leash. Trying to find a reason for this erratic behavior and wonder if other dogs behave like this

3. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Plenty of psycho puppies lol, too many! I believe that’s how they are designed ;) I do find it unusual that a female is this out of control because it seems the males take the longest to mature. Do you do any mental stimulation?

4. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Well, this sounds a lot like Jazz when she was a pup. She was at the height of this at about 4 months, but it took constant effort and consistency on my part to put a stop to it. She knew full well that it was not acceptable behaviour, but her need for interaction on an intense level overrode all. Sort of akin to zoomies in the frenzy of it. One of the things that helped was to teach her to expend that sort of energy on something else, like her jollyball. This she could herd and chase, bark and growl at without getting in trouble. A good hard chuckit game or session with the flirt pole before walks make things so much better. She was over a year old before this completely stopped. I am a first timer with Dobe behaviour and maybe took longer than I should to get on top of this but it seems some pups are just more intense!