Puppy Advice - 9 weeks

BeckyTownsend

Novitiate
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here but I just wanted to check in to ask for your advice around general puppy training. Our European Dobie is 9 weeks old.

He’s slept through the night in his crate from the very first night due to our crate training. We’ve had no accidents or whining. We were advised in the day that he will need lots of naps so we’re currently doing 30mins - 1 hour play and then a 2 hour nap, I work from home so it’s important that we teach him to switch off. Eventually I’m hoping that he can switch off on the sofa when he’s older. With the crate, in the day, most of the time he’ll maybe whine for a second and then go straight to sleep, there will be once or twice throughout the day where he will whine for about 20 mins and if he’s being a real monkey it’ll be 40 mins at max on and off (not constant) - is this normal?

Also what’s your best advice for biting? At the moment we’re redirecting with toys. If he then continues with biting, we’re doing 20 second time outs in the kitchen - is this okay at this age or just stick with redirecting?

His potty training seems to be going well, yesterday was the first day with 0 accidents in the house. We tend to take him out just after coming out of the crate and then before he goes back in the crate.

We’ve also been keeping him on a lead at all times inside the house, this allows us to break play and guide him away from any furniture that he decides to bite.

Training is also going well, he’s got sit, lie down, leave it, we’ve started heel training and also focus (eye-contact) training.

Any more advice would be really appreciated or any criticism, this is our first puppy and although I’ve done extensive research I would really appreciate the input of the experts. 116CD011-9FA8-4190-9134-C2B1FEDD5880.jpeg

Oh and we’re also hiring a professional Doberman trainer for his obedience, that should start in the next few weeks.

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Just keep on what you've got going. It will not be perfect and you will have some challenging days. Do lots of short sessions and toss in some brain games. Mental stimulation works wonders on wearing them out. Get a couple of sturdy puppy tugs, and when he wants to bite at you direct him to the bite-toy and let him tug that with you on the other end. Many times they just want you involved in the play and need interaction (thus biting you - it gets interaction!). Begin naming his toys (another brain game) so you can initiate the game before he bites at you demanding your attention. Unfortunately whining has become a thing with the breed and I'm at a loss to a cure for that - just don't give in to him while he's doing it.

Keep up with the pictures and stories of his progress! Are you going to do sports or show him? Sounds like you are very keen on making him a great trained companion.

Welcome from Minnesota and congrats on your adorable new pup! What's his name?

It sounds like you're doing everything right and it sounds like he's doing great for his age. They will go through a lot of different stages as they mature so as long as you stay on top of it you'll easily get through them. It's also good you found a trainer who knows the breed since they are a bit different than other breeds.

Welcome from Norfolk U.K.
From what you’ve written you’ve made a great start. Are you “marking” (voice or clicker) his obedience? If so, at that age you could add “place” (As in… “go to your place”) very easily, which is one of the foundations of obedience that you’ll use his entire life.
Regarding the “Doberman trainer”. Just make sure that you are on the same page regarding expected outcomes & methods to be used to achieve them. I’ve met a few “trainers“ that I wouldn’t let near a dog of mine. (Usually it’s the owner that needs training, with minimal trainer/dog interaction).
Check out Tug E nuff products. Their powerball bungee tugs are fantastic interactive training toys…our favourite is the one with sheepskin. The power ball itself is virtually Dobie proof!!
Good luck🙂

welcome from Minnesota! you are doing lots of great stuff as far as i can tell! (i am on my first doberman, so novice level here.)

I read about NILIF (nothing in life is free) training here on doberman-chat, and that was a very good thing for me and my Dobie. She and I are also just doing a weekly training session at a pet store, and that has been good for us both, and i often recommend it to other pet owners if they ask. But if you like the one you will meet, great!

handsome boy you got there!

Thanks everyone for your lovely replies. Our pups name is Chief, he’s around 4 months old now. Training is going very well. Appreciate all the advice, we’re currently at 16 and a half weeks and he’s already 20kg, he’s massive 🤣🤣 It’s been really tough but he’s fully toilet trained, got him trained to nap throughout the day, he’s got sit, down, roll over, leave, drop and paw down to a T. He loves other dogs so we firmly have him on a long line or he’d be making friends all day long 😂

We are considering working him because the trainers have mentioned how well bred he is. He’s been a shock to the system for us but a wonderful addition to the home.
22C35F60-D182-4884-9489-7DF43D7B9903.jpeg

What a handsome boy you have there. Thanks for the pic & update. It sounds like you’ve laid some great foundations Becky which will stand you in good stead for the Doberteens. They all love to work (& please), if you have the time it will make your lives together even more fulfilling.

Sounds like your training is going great! He's looking good! Since he's going to be a really big boy, keep him on the slim side, especially as he's growing so fast. Much better on his developing bones & joints. Thanks for the picture & update! I hope you do go into sports of some kind - he's definitely bright-eyed and looks willing!

Welcome from Ohio!
Great looking boy!

He hasn't had any potty accidents in his crate.
One thing I would do with the potty breaks. Good you're taking him out coming right out of the crate. I would add taking him out after playing with him in the house and also right out after feedings.

Back