Toilet training - 5 months

BeckyTownsend

Novitiate
Hi Everyone,

Just wondered what your advice would be for toilet training. Our pup is 5 months old now, he holds his pee all night. He will also hold his pee when crated in the day up to 6 hours which happens once every three weeks when I have to go to the office while my partner is on morning shifts. Otherwise I work from home.

We’ve struggled with toilet training from day one. Chief just seems to pee for England while outside the crate and has done since he was tiny but always holds in the crate and overnight. We implemented bells at the back door and we stopped having accidents which was great however he was demanding to go toilet every 20-30 mins and he would pee every single time. To clarify when he rang the bell, he would go into his potty pen, no playing and straight back inside. We think he’s worked out that he can just demand to go toilet whenever he wants rather than holding it which is no good when I’m in meetings all day. I tried ignoring the bells when rung excessively however we started to have accidents.

Ideally how long should he be holding it outside the crate? We’ve taken the bells away now and I’m taking him out once every hour, I’ve had no accidents today so far. How long would you recommend we extend this to? Do you think we’ve done the right thing with taking the bells away? We don’t believe it’s a health problem as he holds it in the crate and overnight.

Any advice would be much appreciated. We know he can hold it, he just chooses not to because unfortunately we made the mistake of allowing him the freedom to demand to go out whenever he wanted (our fault)!

Yeah…I did the bells with Ragnar. He hit the bells so damn hard and often that it really became annoying. Didn’t take long and off with the bells.

Keep doing what you are doing taking him outside. It’s a lot of work, but he will get it.

When you are in meetings- crate him. When you are not, watch him like a hawk and when he sniffs or presents to pee- scoop his little arse up and take him outside. He pees, then have a party to show approval- then back inside (unless at 2am-no party).

Ragnar got it fairly quickly.
It took a while for Freyja- just have to stay on it and be consistent. Can’t turn your back/head or he will pee and you won’t catch him in pre-action. I don’t think any of my dogs actually “wanted” to pee inside their house…they just didn’t quite get it. Pattern it enough by scooping him up to pee outside and it will become a permanent behavior outside the household.

Good luck and welcome from Louisiana.

Some people say the bells are a great idea for dogs wanting to go out, but I have never thought they'd be a good idea for the Doberman breed. LOL, give them an inch, they'll take a mile.

Everything @Ddski5 said. ^^^^ At 5 months your pup shouldn't have to go out every hour, but for sure keep a watch on him or put him in the crate. Simple rule of thumb: Immediately take him outside after a play session, after waking up, and after eating. Those 3 things usually trigger the urge. Take him out on leash, say the potty word & praise when he does the deed.

I agree with @Ravenbird, I don’t do the bells myself. Just outside everytime the come out of the crate, or wake up, eating, training, playing ect…
I would add treat once they go outside along with praise, mark the behavior with a word (good potty, go potty ect…) this way you can train them to go and they will understand you took them out to potty not play.

I agree with everyone also. Instead of bells, our Sasha comes to us with a certain whine that tells us she needs to go out. Also, I believe that you will need to change up his free time habits. He may not be marking yet, but any lingering scent of urine may trigger what is becoming a learned behavior. For example, morning time out of the crate might include breakfast and a walk or other activity. Crate for work, out with you for lunch etc. Send him out to potty immediately after he comes out of crate. He will begin to associate being out of his crate with quality time with you instead of his current routine. Our pup is good with going out to do her business, but I can’t trust her alone and free if I have work to do.

Never did bells. Just often just come out of the crate, after eating, playing.
Our two will now come up to us and hit you with their front paw or come up and stare at us and whine some.
Then praise :woot: like the biggest thing that ever happened!

Dogs should be able hold urine for about 1hr for every month old they are until 8mo old. Wouldn't go beyond 8hrs.
But very young puppies we took them out sometimes every 1/2hr. to begin with.

Hi Everyone,

Just wondered what your advice would be for toilet training. Our pup is 5 months old now, he holds his pee all night. He will also hold his pee when crated in the day up to 6 hours which happens once every three weeks when I have to go to the office while my partner is on morning shifts. Otherwise I work from home.

We’ve struggled with toilet training from day one. Chief just seems to pee for England while outside the crate and has done since he was tiny but always holds in the crate and overnight. We implemented bells at the back door and we stopped having accidents which was great however he was demanding to go toilet every 20-30 mins and he would pee every single time. To clarify when he rang the bell, he would go into his potty pen, no playing and straight back inside. We think he’s worked out that he can just demand to go toilet whenever he wants rather than holding it which is no good when I’m in meetings all day. I tried ignoring the bells when rung excessively however we started to have accidents.

Ideally how long should he be holding it outside the crate? We’ve taken the bells away now and I’m taking him out once every hour, I’ve had no accidents today so far. How long would you recommend we extend this to? Do you think we’ve done the right thing with taking the bells away? We don’t believe it’s a health problem as he holds it in the crate and overnight.

Any advice would be much appreciated. We know he can hold it, he just chooses not to because unfortunately we made the mistake of allowing him the freedom to demand to go out whenever he wanted (our fault)!
Hi Becky,
I feel your pain, I'm going through the same thing with my 4 month old. I was letting my Brooklyn out anytime she wanted to go out, and sometimes I would let her stay out for like 10-15 minutes bc she was having fun playing with her toys. Okay, but then...she would come back and poop or pee absolutely anywhere in the house. Here lately I have started going out with her on her leash, but she is stubborn and does not want to use it while I'm holding the leash! My other Dobie was so sweet and not stubborn at all, but this one is something else! I know I gave this one too much freedom. I think I was just used to my old lady Doberman and forgot that I had to be firm.
Oh, one more thing she is doing is eating her poop (and dirt, and twigs and anything she finds on the ground). I thought she had stopped doing this but she threw up yesterday and it smelled like sh-t! At least Chief isn't doing this!

Back