• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Worms... Gag...

Took my pup to the vet yesterday for her first round of shots and deworming. This morning I woke up and her poo was full of worms. So much I almost picked it up bare handed thinking it was a piece of blanket she chewed off. Is this normal for pups to have worms? Is it normal that they pass like this right after deworming? Any health concerns for me?

I normally have a cast iron gut but I was gagging....parasites...shivers...

How old is she? , usually she should have been de-wormer two or three times by the time she is eight weeks, for the worm to be that big it sounds like she has not been done at all by the breeder, yes it is normal for puppies to have worms and can really pull their health down if you do not keep up with it, you should have her done in another couple of weeks as the wormer only kills the worms and not the eggs, this is one thing I really keep on top of especially when you start walking her I have just done mine today they get done approx every four months as adults, nice to meet you and congrats on your new puppy:)

The breeder didn't start her shots or deworming. She's 9 or 10 weeks now. I have another dose for her in 4 weeks.

She has been scratching a lot but has no fleas. Could that have been the worms?

That's too bad the breeder didn't do the essential worming and vacs. Yes worms are very common in pups so it's good you're taking care of it now. I can't remember if you have other dogs or not, but be sure to pick the poop up right away so other dogs don't contract them too.

You're also going to want to be very careful about where you take her and be sure never to let her down on the ground in a public place since she hadn't been started on her shots because she can be very vulnerable to many things right now.

I don't "think" the scratching could be caused by the worms, but I could be wrong too.

there are many symptoms of worms, it's such a shame your breeder failed their puppies on every level

Symptoms of Worms in Dogs

Worms are one of the most common health problems for dogs. There are five types of worms that generally affect dogs: heartworms, roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms, and whipworms. Certain types of worms are easier to spot than others. For example, if your dog picks up a tapeworm, it’s common to see what resembles grains of rice in its stool. Heartworms, on the other hand, are harder to diagnose and an infected dog will often show only subtle symptoms until the disease has progressed to a more advanced stage.

Here are the 11 most common symptoms of worms in dogs:
1. Dog Coughing
One of the advanced stage symptoms of heartworms in a dog is coughing. Dogs with hookworms and roundworms may also develop a cough.

2. Dog Vomiting
Dogs that have worms will often throw up. Roundworms can sometimes show up in a dog’s vomit.

3. Diarrhea in Dogs
Soft stools and canine diarrhea can be the result of worms. In addition to diarrhea, dogs with hookworms may have blood in their stools.

4. Low Energy Dogs
Symptoms-of-Worms-in-Dogs2.jpg

Dogs that are lethargic and less active than normal may be showing symptoms of having worms.
5. Pot Bellied Appearance
If your dog starts to appear pot bellied or bloated, it may have contracted worms. This is commonly seen in puppies that have picked up worms from their mother.

6. Dog’s Change in Appetite
If you notice a sudden change in your dog’s appetite, he may have come into contact with roundworms. Dogs that are infected often lose their appetite. As worms steal a dog’s nutrients, a dog with worms may also show a sudden increase in hunger.

7. Dog Losing Weight
If your dog shows signs of rapid weight loss, he may have a tapeworm or a whipworm.

8. Dull Coat
A healthy dog should have a shiny thick coat. If your dog’s coat begins to dull and dry out, he may have picked up a form of worms. Loss of hair or the appearance of rashes can also denote worms.

9. Dog Itching and Signs of Skin Irritations
Symptoms-of-Worms-in-Dogs1.jpg

Dogs that show signs of skin irritation may have a severe infestation of worms.

10. Dog Rubbing Its Bottom on the Ground “Scooting”
While this can often be caused by problems with the anal glands, dogs with worms will occasionally rub their rear ends on the floor in order to relieve themselves of the itch due to worms in the area.

11. Visible Worms in Fur or Fecal Matter
Some worms, such as tapeworms may appear as small moving segments in the fur or area around dog’s anus. Roundworms can often be seen in a dog’s stools.

If left untreated, worms can damage your dog’s internal organs and lead to loss of consciousness and death. If you suspect that your dog has worms, take it to your nearest veterinary office. Most worms are easy to treat and your veterinarian will prescribe a medication based on the diagnosis.

Read more: http://www.cesarsway.com/heartworm-awareness/Symptoms-of-Worms-in-Dogs#ixzz2y3GRcbb0

Totally normal for a worms and for a puppy. Just means she was full of them. She should have been dewormed before coming to you, but that's a separate story :)

Yes, if it is a severe infestation they can be itchy. What kind if worms did she shed, did they look like grains of rice, or spaghetti? If grains of rice they are tapeworms, which require an intermediate hosts like fleas, so make sure she is also flea free, which can also cause them to be itchy.

The life cycle of the worms is 21 days, which is when you want to retreat. After which you want to be sure you treat monthly with a heartworm treatment that also has a dewormer, or a straight dewormer.

Worms are zoonotic (transmittable from species to species) so I would pick up all her poop and make sure you sanitize your hands frequently.

PS: Also a strong stomached medical person and worms make me cringe. Yuck!

...also they can live on the soil for a long time and continue to reinfest so I would scoop her poop as she goes. I would also continue to scoop two weeks after her second treatment to make sure you cover your bases.

It was spaghetti. Haha gross! Like I said I almost picked it up barehanded thinking it was a shredded piece of blanket or pieces of my gillie suit I'm working on.

Appreciate the advice. I have another dose from the vet to give her in a couple weeks.

I don't know what it is but parasite make my skin crawl just thinking about it. Anything that can live by feeding off me internally. Ick. Even if I didn't have to scoop her poop for her Id do it just so I don't puke looking at it.

I know the tapeworm rice. Did a necropsy on one of my rattlesnakes that did and found a massive intestinal infestation of them. Gotta day dosing a dog is a lot easier than a venomous snake haha.

She is definitely flea free. I am hypersensitive to fleas. If there is one single flea I will be bitten a million times and swell up. Going to get her frontline next week to be safe.

just be careful with the Frontline, before putting the full dose on her just put a little test piece on her skin to make sure she is not going to have a reaction to it some dogs have sever reactions to the drop on flea remedies.

Pets and Pesticides: Severe Reactions to Common Pet Treatments Increase Dramatically
May 28, 2009
By: DAVID KERLEY, TONI WILSON and SADIE BASS
DAVID KERLEYMore From David »
Correspondent

via WORLD NEWS

It happens tens of thousands of times a day. People treat their pets with over-the-counter, topical treatments used to kill fleas and ticks. But reports of severe reactions have spiked dramatically in the past year.

Forrest Desmond and his wife own five dogs. They bought a spot-on treatment and used it on all five of the dogs.

"Within a half-hour, all five of them were sick, agitated, throwing up, coughing, wheezing," Desmond said. "These dogs are the most important things in our lives. ...These are our children."

The Center for Public Integrity, a non-profit, investigative journalism organization, has documented these cases and pushed the government to release numbers. In 2008, more than 44,000 severe reactions and 1,200 deaths were reported, a 50 percent increase from the year before, according to the center.
abc_wn_dogs_090528_wn.jpg

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, which regulates topical pet treatments and says it is "intensifying" its evaluation of such products.

"Pretty quickly, we decided that it was important for us to inform the public that there was something going on with these products," said Jim Jones of EPA's pesticide program.

EPA posted information for consumers on its Web site, and initiated an internal investigation to determine the cause of the reactions.

Aw... Ok I will thanks.

Is it normal that her appetite has gone down considerably? I'm guessing without all the worms to feed she doesn't need to eat as much?? She also seems skinnier. But then again, a lot of worms are gone and i'm probably just used to seeing her bloated..

Is it normal that her appetite has gone down considerably? I'm guessing without all the worms to feed she doesn't need to eat as much?? She also seems skinnier. But then again, a lot of worms are gone and i'm probably just used to seeing her bloated..
Yes they definitely get the pot belly thing going when they are infested with worms. It could be that the wormer made her a little queasy if her appetite is less. Usually if they have worms they will be underweight so they will eat as much to try to put it back on.

I would be worried the puppy might be anaemic if it had that many worms , I would also be giving her a pro biotic to help her tummy, as the worm detach themselves from the stomach lining leaving it a little raw, this is why she has lost her appetite, if you are unsure the best thing is to take her back to the vet to get her checked out.

Her appetite is about one third. She used to eat all 3 meals. Yesterday she ate one then didnt eat again. This morning she nibbled but didn't finish it.

Is a vet necessary? She is still a ball of energy and seems very happy.

The drontal, or whatever they gave to deworm causes upset stomach and diarrhea. I would attribute that to why she is a bit off. I second the probios and prebios. Plain grek yogurt is always a good way to start, but some dogs do get stomach upset from dairy, so it might be more of a hinderance than help. Can you pickup some OTC probios from your vet?

I wouldn't call the vet just yet and that is saying something because I am usually the first one to jump and pickup the phone to call ours when our dogs are just burping..lol :bag:. I would watch her and call if she starts to become lethargic, loses her appetite and has vomiting, or if she has diarrhea that lasts.

Keep us posted. Sorry she is a bit under the weather.

Just a heads up, my pup (12 weeks now) had a pretty bad worm infestation. Blood work showed that he was severely anemic. I would recommend having a blood test run. At my vet it is $17, not to expensive. It will show red and white blood cell count so you can also find if there are any infections and find out if he should be on an iron supplement. Mine took the iron supplement for 2 weeks, dewormed once more and he shot up in height and weight.

Back