• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Which should i choose?

Jory

Hot Topics Subscriber
I find myself in a position to buy really good dog food, at least for now.
I'm torn between home cooked Farmers Dog and Steve's Real food raw. The convenience of the home cooked does edge it up.
My dogs are:
Sunny 12 year old American Eskimo with few teeth left, in perfect health.
Teddy 10 year old Chihuahua with good teeth and a bad heart murmur 4/6.
Tony 7 year old small terrier mix seems in good health his veterinarian dig will start in 2 months.
Arabelle 6 month old 50% Dobermann, 20% German Shepherd, Boxer, Australian cattle dog, and border collie. She carries one DCM1 gene although embark was unsure if the other breeds would protect her.
I would like to feed them the best I can during this time at least. Which would you choose and why?

I will add that the Farmer's would be delivered to the door and I would have to drive 50 miles round trip for the Steve's.

If it's between the two, I would stick with the raw, personally, but they look to both be highly rated on Dog Food Advisor (Except Steve's Raw Chicken, for some reason?).

If convenience is what you're after, take a look at BARF world. We get their frozen raw patties to supplement our dogs food and they deliver!

Either way, I'll be they'll love it!

My coworker was feeding Farmers Dog and wasn't happy with their service or the way they kept changing the formula.

Okay, I've found a grooming shop that sells both Steve's Real food and Northwest Naturals so I can cycle through many protein combinations.
I've also found a butcher shop near me that sells poultry feet, tripe, and mixed chop.

Okay, I've found a grooming shop that sells both Steve's Real food and Northwest Naturals so I can cycle through many protein combinations.
I've also found a butcher shop near me that sells poultry feet, tripe, and mixed chop.

Did they have the Raw Goats Milk?

Yes, on a rotational diet of as many different proteins you can. You can even try rotating between Steve's and the Northwest.
You also can add a Raw Organic Egg and shell 2-3 times a week. We just crush the shell with our fingers.
Canned sardines (in water) are also good to give a couple times a week. Just drain and mix them in the food.
We also give Omega 3 Fish oil.
Iceland Pure Unscented Pharmaceutical Grade Sardine Anchovy Oil and get it on Amazon.
Also, a good Raw Meaty Bone once a week. Add a Banana and or Blueberries couple times a week.
Let us know on how the feeding goes.

I have my own milk goats and milk sheep. I also have free range chickens so they already get these protein sources.

I actually raw fed for years until raised gas prices and we could no longer afford it.
It's different now that I no longer have to work and use very little gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Farmer's Dog review
I went ahead and tried the Farmer's Dog at 60% off for 2 weeks. Then I immediately canceled the subscription. Here's what I got.
A few packages not labeled.
One of Teddy's chicken was labeled for Sunny. She doesn't get chicken.
One of the Doberman packages was labeled for the Chihuahua. It was pork and I didn't order pork for Teddy.
Once I got done playing the matching game and figured out what goes to who, Tony is short of 4 days worth of food.

Ah well, I was warned. I'm going to use what I have to help build their gut and ease them onto the raw.

Update, Farmer's Dog has given me a full refund and assured of another trial in the future. They responded to my email within 48 hours.

Canned sardines (in water) are also good to give a couple times a week. Just drain and mix them in the food.
For what it’s worth (and brands may vary?) in reading the labels the sardines in water had more sodium than those in the olive oil.

My dogs love them but BOY! does it produce some bad breath for a while after😂

Back