• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Which Prong Collar Do You Use?

RexsMom

Notable member
The prong collar I've been using on Rex has been just a generic one from Petsmart because I wanted to test it out first to see how he would react (since he has had a bad expect with a choke chain before).
Now that he is completely desensitized to it, I'm looking to buy a good quality one. I know the Herm Sprenger brand is what the majority of Dobie owners use, but there is so many to choose from :shock: Thank you!
I'm currently looking into this one:
Issues Killer Chrome Plated Prong Collar with Swivel and Quick Release Snap Hook (2.25 mm x 16 inches) [HS34#1091 50136 (02) (2.25) Quick release prong collar with swivel] : Prong Collars, Pinch Collars, Dog Training Collars, Curogan Collars, Chain Dog Collars, Fur Saver Collars, Choke Dog Collars, Herm Sprenger Collars, Dog Muzzles

Side note: I've had trouble with the prongs, so looking for a quick release one.

Last edited:
Herm Sprengers are my fave! Very good quality and worth the pricing imo.

What kind of trouble did you have?

Herm Sprengers are my fave! Very good quality and worth the pricing imo.

What kind of trouble did you have?

Do you have a link to which one you use? I'm not sure the size inch wise to get :banghead: I do know that I will need a 2.25mm with Rex, he is still a scrawny little noodle :p

The main issue I had was just taking the links apart. I'm very dainty & weak :oops: Every time I used it (out of the 2 times before I exchanged for quick release) I had to get my boyfriend to put the collar/take it off because I was unable to.

I use this one: Ultra Plus Training Collar - Black

Have you learned how to properly take the links apart?
I personally don't trust the quick release ones because I know dogs that have escaped them if they pulled hard enough. They used the PetSmart brand for that too though, so I'm not sure if that'd still happen for higher quality ones like Herm Sprenger.

That’s the same one I use but bought off different site.

The black color is lasting longer than I thought too- going on a years use.

I use this one: Ultra Plus Training Collar - Black

Have you learned how to properly take the links apart?
I personally don't trust the quick release ones because I know dogs that have escaped them if they pulled hard enough. They used the PetSmart brand for that too though, so I'm not sure if that'd still happen for higher quality ones like Herm Sprenger.

I have, and whenever I struggle putting it on/taking it off, it just scares Rex (he's still only 8 months). :( He isn't too bad with pulling, it's more for wandering. He is constantly trying to swivel in front or behind me to pee on anything he can.

I have, and whenever I struggle putting it on/taking it off, it just scares Rex (he's still only 8 months). :( He isn't too bad with pulling, it's more for wandering. He is constantly trying to swivel in front or behind me to pee on anything he can.
The prongs sold at PetSmart/PetCo are all crap.

I bought my first HS in the larger sized link for my older dobie had to take out so many links I hated using it. Well fast forward 2 yrs and dobie #2 I went and purchased a non HS at PetCo/PetSmart. It was total crap I too couldn’t open the links and these were the smaller sized links. Returned both and ordered 2 HS through Amazon. It really does make a difference. Buy the smaller link and several extra links - I think I bought 4 extra links. You probably won’t need the quick release with a HS - it’s that much easier.

Good luck.

The main issue I had was just taking the links apart. I'm very dainty & weak :oops: Every time I used it (out of the 2 times before I exchanged for quick release) I had to get my boyfriend to put the collar/take it off because I was unable to.

I'm in the same boat. My fingers just don't work well. I don't like the quick release because there is a high risk of the dog breaking free. But a member here came up with a great way to fix that. @Doberman Gang got pics of your brilliant engineering?

Herm Sprenger is the best. Dobermans need the 2.25 mm size.

I use covered Prongs from Keeper Collars. Basically a covered HS

I noticed on sites it has an options for ‘inches’ most of them being 12-18 or so. Does anyone know how many inches their’s is?

I noticed on sites it has an options for ‘inches’ most of them being 12-18 or so. Does anyone know how many inches their’s is?

I've had mine a long time so I really don't remember. Rex is young so he still has plenty of growing to do. I would just measure his neck and get as close as you can, you can always add prongs as he grows. Remember the collar should fit snugly at the top of the neck just below the ears to be the most effective. If you are not familiar with the use I would read up on how to use one properly while you wait on it's arrival. It really is a great tool when used correctly.

I'm in the same boat. My fingers just don't work well. I don't like the quick release because there is a high risk of the dog breaking free. But a member here came up with a great way to fix that. @Doberman Gang got pics of your brilliant engineering?
Here is how I Change mine for quick on and off.
A40EFAAF-319E-4C43-9A52-6BC63C009301.jpeg 63C47BBD-922F-4192-B5AC-3E976A5E3D36.jpeg
My wife also has some like this that she uses for taking dogs in and out of shows where prongs are not allowed. Many of the handlers do it, but they are not good when it comes to training. They must be adjusted just right and they don’t have a good pop to give a good picture of what is needed in many training exercises. If your dog is a harder dog it will probably still pull you with this on.
9BCD8F11-E2A6-4106-BFE4-283E1AFD41D3.jpeg

I bought this for Ragnar when he was 9months. Collar and package of three links. I have added two links since then Ragnar is now 17months.

5A74220E-B766-46E4-9806-E57979869DAE.png

788C9CE0-EE5F-416D-8948-54AF3B8ED0B8.png

I always use Herm Sprenger with a leash with two clasps. One hooks to the prong, one to either a flat collar or slip collar. Just for the extra safety. I never had a quick release one but I am contemplating on getting one in a few months. Im not worried about it failing since I use the extra collar.

Leergburg has a nice leather "Prong leash" which has a split end to attach to a backup collar. I have bought a few things from them with no issue. Great quality leather!

I vote for Herm Sprenger. I have the exactly same collar for the last 24 years in the small links.

This is an old thread- but ill add just be careful buying on amazon if you want a true Herm Sprenger. Many are fake. They should have the proper stamp and the orange “tab” on the dead ring. There could be more to it but I just buy from their website to avoid fakes.

Back