Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Update and question about leashes

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Josht87, Jul 20, 2019.

1. If they are, maybe a head harness or a front clip harness to reduce pulling might help!

2. crypticintent

crypticintent Hot Topics Subscriber

Could look at making your own with climbing grade d-rings....

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I can't believe how much he's grown and what a handsome boy!
    The head harnesses really aren't recommended for our breed since they can damage the neck when they put them in an unnatural position.

It does indeed sound like he's pulling too much if he's breaking the hardware so the first goal is to stop getting him to pull, which I know isn't the easiest task.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Good to know! I’ve heard the head harness is ok for other breeds and works but glad to know it’s not good for Doberman’s ! Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  5. Josht87

Josht87 Member

Hi there, thanks!

Nope no prong collar. I’m just using a normal padded leather collar.

6. Josht87

Josht87 Member

He doesn’t pull on a regular basis it’s just when he sees a squirrel or another dog that he wants to play with he lunges. And it’s the momentum of the lunge that breaks the hardware.

7. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

A prong collar would solve that. In Australia it isn't illegal to use a prong collar in most states, but it is illegal to import one. There are loop holes though and I managed to buy a prong collar online and it was a game changer! Now there is never any lunging and hauling on the lead, and I only need the prong collar when in a new or exciting situation. :thumbsup2:

8. CRDobe

CRDobe Notable member

After the 2nd face p!ant with my previous 90 lb. boy, I got a prong collar. A miracle, he got it instantly, and no more lunging.

9. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

Get a horse lead for that horse! D0832F86-58D8-415A-B77B-8B666DC18193.jpeg

10. C908

C908 Member

We recently purchased a Keepers Collar which covers the prongs which is a nice touch.