Two new titles for Rip

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Ripley earned two new titles this week. Trick Dog Advanced and Rat Instinct for Barn Hunt!

UCH Melrae's Houston We Have A Problem CGC TKA RATI

Hopefully we have better luck on our Novice trials tomorrow. Ripley didn't even know what a rat was a week and a half ago or what she was supposed to be alerting me to! She's been doing very well in practice in such a short time frame. On Thursday, for the first time I let my husband hide the rats without me knowing where they were and let her alert me. She hit every hide 5/5 times and hit them hard while ignoring the litter tubes even though she breezed over them. She's a fast learner!

New place and people however was VERY exciting for her. She hit the rat in Instinct hard, good girl!! Then she hit a litter tube hard in Novice (every novice dog did too but one and also NQ'd like us). Must've been some smelly litter. The second run she decided to grab the pool noodle protecting the edge of the tunnel to carry around 🤣. She outted it right away when asked but I did not realize I couldn't touch it to gently set back on top of the tunnel so I was informed at the end. I have to *try* to get her to out and leave it alone on the ground while continuing to hunt...prayers the confident, wanna have a good time puppy leaves it alone tomorrow. 😌 She had a blast though!!! I think with time she will learn she's supposed to hunt rats in other places too!

Here is our Trick Advanced submission because I know some are probably curious what that looks like. She has more tricks she knows (can't repeat the 20 tricks she knows from her other two titles) plus more advanced ones but either she needs a little more time perfecting them or we didn't need them and are saving for the next title! Enjoy 😁

:thumbsup: !!
Everyone who wants a huge smile on their face watch this video!
Their eagerness to learn truly uplifts the spirit.

:thumbsup: !!
Everyone who wants a huge smile on their face watch this video!
Their eagerness to learn truly uplifts the spirit.
She is truly a blessing!! She tries so hard and these guys are so smart. I keep doing the trick titles because she seems to really enjoy the daily challenge of learning new tricks.

She is truly a blessing!! She tries so hard and these guys are so smart. I keep doing the trick titles because she seems to really enjoy the daily challenge of learning new tricks.
I feel my own deficiency in measuring up in ability to teach my Dobe so much of what he is inherently capable of learning! He gets so excited when we train that he can't almost contain himself.
It's easy to get caught in the daily routine. You and Ripley are an inspiration and good reminders.

Last edited:
Omg Kaiser would love the shoe trick. He already loves to steal our flip flops the moment we pull our feet out, wrestling them off our feet would be even better lol. Love the speed of execution. It shows the side of them that IS eager to please.

The ‘head down’ trick, my hb taught that one but calls it ‘respect’ and he gets Kaiser to do it to my mom and she totally eats it up thinking the dog is actually respecting her :rofl: Plus he gets brownie points from my mom and then it buys him forgiveness when he doesn’t show up for events with my family:rolleyes:

He gets so excited when we train that he can't almost contain himself.
Oh gosh Ripley too. Some days I say, not today. Or I try to keep it really simple and short. Get progress in one tiny step and call it good before it gets too crazy. I have to be very careful with all that excitedness that I dont reward the wrong behavior 😅 Like gently tapping a bell with her nose to accidentally turning into her slamming the bell across the floor with those hulk paws LOL

He already loves to steal our flip flops the moment we pull our feet out, wrestling them off our feet would be even better lol.
Yes! That's exactly why when I saw the trick on the list I knew she would love it. She loves to carry anything and everything in her mouth like she's a retriever, including my shoes. Teach it as a trick and Im giving her permission to take them on my watch haha. Like teaching a dog to quiet you gotta teach them to speak first.

he gets Kaiser to do it to my mom and she totally eats it up thinking the dog is actually respecting her :rofl:
That's great 🤣 That's why I love these tricks. Multifunctional haha :rofl:

I have to be very careful with all that excitedness that I dont reward the wrong behavior 😅 Like gently tapping a bell with her nose to accidentally turning into her slamming the bell across the floor with those hulk paws LOL
:rofl:Hahaha that's too funny. Exactly, yes the timing and the need to watch oneself, amazing task in itself hoho. I have to admit that training sessions mentally tires me too like nothing else does :rofl:.

Last edited:
Ive been wanting to teach Skynyrd the play dead. How did you teach Ripley? Did you do one move at a time? And what about pivot? That's a great one I havent seen!

Ive been wanting to teach Skynyrd the play dead. How did you teach Ripley? Did you do one move at a time? And what about pivot? That's a great one I havent seen!
I started her in the down position and taught her to roll on her side with luring. No command. Got her comfortably doing that with luring then pointed my finger and begin luring but stop my luring half way through to let her finish the motion on her own. Heavy praise. Then make the finger gun with no luring and praise when she flopped on her side. Now I add the command in. Once she's doing it on command from the down position, I ask it when standing, with some luring her into a down until she connects the dots. Then fade the luring out completely and now you have a dog that will play dead from a stand still! It's her FAVORITE trick and she often will try to default to it when I ask her to do something new. She likes to add in a touch of dramatic style to her "death" too. 😝

Pivot I taught the foundation when she was a puppy for teaching rear end awareness for heeling nice tight turns and circles. Use any kind of platform, livestock rubber dishes are nice but a mixing bowl turned upside down can work too. Use your left hand with a treat tucked into your thumb/palm and lure the head. Turn the head to the left just enough to where their rear swivels to the right. Build on that until you have them pivoting with no lure! It takes practice and many sessions!

I started her in the down position and taught her to roll on her side with luring. No command. Got her comfortably doing that with luring then pointed my finger and begin luring but stop my luring half way through to let her finish the motion on her own. Heavy praise. Then make the finger gun with no luring and praise when she flopped on her side. Now I add the command in. Once she's doing it on command from the down position, I ask it when standing, with some luring her into a down until she connects the dots. Then fade the luring out completely and now you have a dog that will play dead from a stand still! It's her FAVORITE trick and she often will try to default to it when I ask her to do something new. She likes to add in a touch of dramatic style to her "death" too. 😝

Pivot I taught the foundation when she was a puppy for teaching rear end awareness for heeling nice tight turns and circles. Use any kind of platform, livestock rubber dishes are nice but a mixing bowl turned upside down can work too. Use your left hand with a treat tucked into your thumb/palm and lure the head. Turn the head to the left just enough to where their rear swivels to the right. Build on that until you have them pivoting with no lure! It takes practice and many sessions!
Awesome!! Thank you!! Im going to start today! By the way, how did you learn how to teach all of these? You have done such a great job. What would you say is the average amount of time/days it took Ripley to learn each new trick?

By the way, how did you learn how to teach all of these?

I like to try and figure it out on my own but some of them I use you tube for and then tweak my own style that works for my dog. A lot of what I have learned is either from in person classes or online seminars for diff training methods. There's lots of valuable resources on the net!

What would you say is the average amount of time/days it took Ripley to learn each new trick?
About 1-3 days with 10-15min sessions, depending on the difficulty of the trick. Some take her only a day! Then a week of practicing it to where she can effortlessly do it on command. It was two months between her Trick Intermediate and Trick Advance but it wasn't all time focused on tricks. We had shows every weekend and training for that. I did take time to work on a Rally Novice Q and some heeling work but the weather went coooold so we started on her tricks since we can do those in a cozy home. 😁 Good luck!!! You will have to let us know how it goes!!

Wow she's excelling at everything!

Phoebe heard all of the "good girl!'s and came right up on my lap to see what her sister was doing. LOL

Phoebe heard all of the "good girl!'s and came right up on my lap to see what her sister was doing. LOL
That's adorable! I can't watch these videos in front of Ripley either or she's in my lap wondering why Im telling her she's a good girl so much. She must know something is up because she's not a good girl THAT much 😅 Can't wait to get these two together one day!

@Rits, this is just awesome! So proud of what you and "the kid" have accomplished and at such a young age. Having fun with it is the whole enchilada. Beautiful!!!

Ripley earned two new titles this week. Trick Dog Advanced and Rat Instinct for Barn Hunt!

UCH Melrae's Houston We Have A Problem CGC TKA RATI

Hopefully we have better luck on our Novice trials tomorrow. Ripley didn't even know what a rat was a week and a half ago or what she was supposed to be alerting me to! She's been doing very well in practice in such a short time frame. On Thursday, for the first time I let my husband hide the rats without me knowing where they were and let her alert me. She hit every hide 5/5 times and hit them hard while ignoring the litter tubes even though she breezed over them. She's a fast learner!

New place and people however was VERY exciting for her. She hit the rat in Instinct hard, good girl!! Then she hit a litter tube hard in Novice (every novice dog did too but one and also NQ'd like us). Must've been some smelly litter. The second run she decided to grab the pool noodle protecting the edge of the tunnel to carry around 🤣. She outted it right away when asked but I did not realize I couldn't touch it to gently set back on top of the tunnel so I was informed at the end. I have to *try* to get her to out and leave it alone on the ground while continuing to hunt...prayers the confident, wanna have a good time puppy leaves it alone tomorrow. 😌 She had a blast though!!! I think with time she will learn she's supposed to hunt rats in other places too!

Here is our Trick Advanced submission because I know some are probably curious what that looks like. She has more tricks she knows (can't repeat the 20 tricks she knows from her other two titles) plus more advanced ones but either she needs a little more time perfecting them or we didn't need them and are saving for the next title! Enjoy 😁
Loved seeing Ripley showing her stuff. Jazz is outside at the moment so didn't hear all the "good girls". :D

Back