Tug Suggestions - What do you prefer?

Curing

Looking into getting some new tugs, our old one was handmade and is now pretty sad so I've decided its time to invest.

Trying to decide on the proper one to fit my needs, but with so many out there I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the different sizes, materials, and designs.

I'm thinking about getting something softer and something a bit harder. I liked the fleeceish type tug we used at the club because it was good for my lower drive female. Was also looking at just some bite rags too, but I know I'll need a nice solid one for my male that really allows him to get a nice full bite.

Nothing rope because he mouths it.

For training I always use flat jute tugs. You can usually get 2 fir under $20 off amazon they are by Redline. For soft I would think a fleece tug similar to what a lot of the agility people use. Maybe check agility training sites.
These are the jute tugs I use. You can also get them as a solid roll jute.
B940B9CF-2A10-4B88-8B18-E77F2103A437.jpeg

For training I always use flat jute tugs. You can usually get 2 fir under $20 off amazon they are by Redline. For soft I would think a fleece tug similar to what a lot of the agility people use. Maybe check agility training sites.
These are the jute tugs I use. You can also get them as a solid roll jute.
View attachment 93264
Thank so much! I just ordered them. Mind if I shoot you a PM to ask another quick question?

If you're looking for something softer, Rush to Tug and Snuffles and Tug are two great online stores with either tug leashes, tug toys, etc. Can get them made with faux fur or balls and what not to make them extra fun!

I ordered my tug, the kind with a handle at both ends, from a website called for dog trainers dot com.

I chose the fire hose material. Mistake. I recommend you do not choose fire hose material. My boy was put off by the snapping sound it made as his teeth slid over it, and perhaps by the feel of it. I subsequently spoke with my breeder and they cautioned me against fire hose material.

I very much recommend a tug with a handle on both ends. This, to me, supports the effort to get your Dobe to bite it square-on like a bite sleeve; and it allows you to use both your arms to hold it.

I actually use an assortment of different tug material and stiffness depending on what we are working on with the dogs bite. Most are jute since that is what they bite in competition. Fire hose is much harder for them to grip so will use one of those if the dog has a chewy bite to teach them to bite down and hold. Leather is much easier to grip do use those when transitioning younger or new dogs to something a little firm to progress up to a wedge or sleeve. Most tugs cone with handles but I cut them off on the longer tugs. Short tugs I may grab around them but do not stick hands or fingers inside them. This can be dangerous, I have actually had fingers broken when letting the dog have the tug. The dog whipped its head as I was letting go and it twisted around my finger. My finger was then caught in the strap and as the dog whipped its head back and forth running away it bent my finger back the wrong way. So be careful if you use the handles.

Thanks everyone, definitely a lot to look through! I did go ahead and order the flat jute ones by redline, and then I got a bite rag too for the shepherd since we're just working on drive really.

Would a rolled tug be good too?
My guy bites hard and enthusiastically, but has a bad tendency to go for the thinner parts of toys we play with. i.e when we played with the handmade one he'd go for the braided rope unless I choked up the hold. I think this is a training issue so I'd like to use something that will encourage him to bite the actual tug.
On the upside he doesn't bite shallow, I just think he's going for what he thinks he can have the tightest grip on.

Well, great that he goes for deep bites.

It's a tendency in a lot of dogs to want to bite thinner stuff. Many people actually start to work on the bite using a rag in fact. It depends on what your individual dog can handle. Ever notice that a lot of bite sleeves have that wedge-shaped bite bar on them?

In my mind, the ideal bite work candidate would not need these hand-holdings along the way; but we deal with what we're dealt.

Thanks everyone, definitely a lot to look through! I did go ahead and order the flat jute ones by redline, and then I got a bite rag too for the shepherd since we're just working on drive really.

Would a rolled tug be good too?
My guy bites hard and enthusiastically, but has a bad tendency to go for the thinner parts of toys we play with. i.e when we played with the handmade one he'd go for the braided rope unless I choked up the hold. I think this is a training issue so I'd like to use something that will encourage him to bite the actual tug.
On the upside he doesn't bite shallow, I just think he's going for what he thinks he can have the tightest grip on.
He is just trying to grip the easiest place he can. it is training and teaching him where to grip that will be the most fun and rewarding.

Back