1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

So about the pit bull attack

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by GennyB, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Hate to say it but I believe they're both responsible. The HS and the owner.
    The owner has home owners insurance I assume?

He needs to decide if he wants to cut his losses and move on or spend more money and time to chase it legally.
    A case with the HS is going to be costly.
    A case with the insurance co will too, but I imagine the HS will be worse.

2. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

She does. However when her husband passed away her kids came in town and made some changes. The insurance co claims there is some sort of exclusion for dog bites. Her kids were trying to cut down on some expense and may have gotten carried away with the knife. Details are still coming to light so I guess we'll see.
    We have an appointment on thursday with an attorney. I figure it's worth a few bucks to get it all sort out. He is a friend of a friend that has taken on HS before.

3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

She probably does but we hate to make claims because your rates will go up dramatically. I wouldn't want to put an elderly woman through it either when they probably can't afford it and it wasn't her fault. I put the blame on the rescue when they weren't careful about the placement of the dog.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

This is precisely why people, especially women, need to learn to manage these things on their own. Kids as adults start nickel and diming like it's already their money. Have they been around since the bite occurred? If their mother would get sued that might be a good lesson for them and their cost-cutting measures.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. GennyB

Her kids are jerks! She has 3 and none live in town. One is in New York and I forget where the other 2 are now. They don't have time for their Mom unless it involves money. :(

• Empathetic Empathetic x 4
  6. GennyB

Finally some good news. :) My son is healing and the signs of infection are all but gone. The bite actually looks pretty good. Can't believe I'm saying that after seeing it at its worst.
    We meet with an attorney. Looks like HS will be paying the bills. Apparently this is not an uncommon occurrence and they have a fund just for this kind of thing. Anyone surprised? IMO, HS means just another dog broker. As bad as any irresponsible breeder I have ever seen. What I have learned from this experience has just reinforced what I thought all along. I would say to anyone that wants to adopt a dog that research is just as important as researching a breeder. Be very careful of what you are supporting. I would look to breed specific rescues or to responsible breeders looking to rehome only!

• Like Like x 3