Signs of Doberman Obsession!

Hmmmm......................Yep, I have this condition big time!

I wasn't obsessed when I decided to welcome a Doberman/Ridgeback into my home. The decision was made with much thought and having met some (adult!) Dobermans who impressed me mightily. Their looks, their intelligence and general attitude, serious but with a joyful side too. The decision to look for a cross breed was thought out too as I live in a pretty harsh environment and I was worried about whether a pure bred would be tough enough. Went into it with my eyes open to the insane energy levels of a pup needing both mental and physical stimulation, I thought, but I had NO idea really. This is something you have to experience firsthand to get any idea at all! :shock:

So, now we are nearly a year and a half down the track, surviving puppyhood, adolescence and unforeseen circumstances beyond what a young dog is usually exposed to.............and I am obsessed! Yep, absolutely. All the signs are there.

1......I am always talking about my beautiful pup. This is boring for non-Doberman people, and sends non dog people into a coma!

2......I need my daily fix of DC. Get a kick out of most of it, and am always learning something new. Also love encouraging new owners to hang in and wait for the magic, and feel the pain of those who have lost their friends! Obsessed!!!

3......A collar fetish. Flat collar x 2, Prong collar, choke chain, plastic prong collar imitation and a car harness. And I still like the look of other collars people post pics of!

4......Another fetish for winter warmies for her. Sweaters, coats and blankets. Not to mention a willingness to wake up and replace a blanket in the middle of the night! :facepalm:

5......Have become a hypochondriac on her behalf. So much so that I have to ration health related reading to just the basic facts, or I start to worry over every little twitch and dry nose, or slightly loose poop! Obsessed!!!

Okay, that is just 5, and just the tip of the iceburg. Jazz has sold me on Dobermans and I am addicted, (not sure how much of her shows ridgeback traits, possibly an added hard headedness as a puppy and an instinctive fronting up to scarey things) she does show a lot of the Doberman specific behaviours, both good and bad!

Who can add to the list? I'm sure I am not the only one with some obsessive tendencies! :whistle:[/
Hmmmm......................Yep, I have this condition big time!

I wasn't obsessed when I decided to welcome a Doberman/Ridgeback into my home. The decision was made with much thought and having met some (adult!) Dobermans who impressed me mightily. Their looks, their intelligence and general attitude, serious but with a joyful side too. The decision to look for a cross breed was thought out too as I live in a pretty harsh environment and I was worried about whether a pure bred would be tough enough. Went into it with my eyes open to the insane energy levels of a pup needing both mental and physical stimulation, I thought, but I had NO idea really. This is something you have to experience firsthand to get any idea at all! :shock:

So, now we are nearly a year and a half down the track, surviving puppyhood, adolescence and unforeseen circumstances beyond what a young dog is usually exposed to.............and I am obsessed! Yep, absolutely. All the signs are there.

1......I am always talking about my beautiful pup. This is boring for non-Doberman people, and sends non dog people into a coma!

2......I need my daily fix of DC. Get a kick out of most of it, and am always learning something new. Also love encouraging new owners to hang in and wait for the magic, and feel the pain of those who have lost their friends! Obsessed!!!

3......A collar fetish. Flat collar x 2, Prong collar, choke chain, plastic prong collar imitation and a car harness. And I still like the look of other collars people post pics of!

4......Another fetish for winter warmies for her. Sweaters, coats and blankets. Not to mention a willingness to wake up and replace a blanket in the middle of the night! :facepalm:

5......Have become a hypochondriac on her behalf. So much so that I have to ration health related reading to just the basic facts, or I start to worry over every little twitch and dry nose, or slightly loose poop! Obsessed!!!

Okay, that is just 5, and just the tip of the iceburg. Jazz has sold me on Dobermans and I am addicted, (not sure how much of her shows ridgeback traits, possibly an added hard headedness as a puppy and an instinctive fronting up to scarey things) she does show a lot of the Doberman specific behaviours, both good and bad!

Who can add to the list? I'm sure I am not the only one with some obsessive tendencies! :whistle:
Oh, my, can I relate to this!!! When our dachshund was killed by the neighbor's GSD, I wasn't handling it. My husband didn't want another dog, but I wasn't settled on that idea. So, I started looking for another dachshund and just psychologically, watching my little Anna's attack and being helpless to end it, I couldn't go the small dog again. My husband has always loved dobermans (prior owner of two), so when this pup needed a home, I needed this pup! At times, I thought maybe I was insane. My husband knew doberdogs were very active, but I had absolutely no clue just HOW active!!! I was tempted to let our trainer have her! (I would never have been able to go through with that, though!) We're slowly seeing her mature, so I think we will survive this puppyhood.

FYI.......with proper training early on.......IMO something magical happens with Dobermans around two years of age ...it seems to me all the repetitive training starts to some together........and they finally get their forever brains.
Plus ALL OF US actually get a full nights sleep!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh .......bliss......

FYI.......with proper training early on.......IMO something magical happens with Dobermans around two years of age ...it seems to me all the repetitive training starts to some together........and they finally get their forever brains.
Plus ALL OF US actually get a full nights sleep!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh .......bliss......
Oh, how I pray this is true. Yesterday was one of the most trying days with her. It rained ALL day so we couldn't walk her or get her the usual outdoor exercise. She was barking at me like crazy not only at me but my husband, too. He was getting VERY irritable and I thought he wanted to give up on her. Tonight, I realized her barking was because she wants me to fill her Kong with her kibble. This happened several times. She stops barking when I pick the Kong up. I am so uncertain whether I am creating more chaos by doing what she is requesting.

Thank you for some reassurance. I sometimes don't think I will make it through. She is good but headstrong. She recently started to bark at people going up the road. She never did that before. If we were to approach them, she would be friendly. It is so confusing what to allow and what not to allow. Goodness, does it really get easier????

There is a really good book that I read and the techniques worked great for me......it's called
"When Pigs Fly" ..........dogs are always reading us ...trying to figure out what we actually want.........this book will teach you so much..........consider this......I wished I had read this at pups 6 months of age versus 2 years..........

Thank you. I will certainly get the book. I feel like we are responsible people. The first thing we lined up for her was a good trainer. We talked to so, so many people and this guy was recommended and he covers several counties here, so he's busy. We lined him up for as soon as he felt she was ready. We started her training a little over 4 months old. Somehow, I thought this investment would cure all - LOL. Not so. Looks like I have more training to do. I realize it is an ongoing thing just like kids. I will certainly order the book. :)

It's amazing what dogs and humans can do together when effective communication is established...........what I liked about the books techniques :
Easy....to understand.....and easy to incorporate into my daily life. Few minutes here and there!!!
quick results for the person that practices daily.........
My husband was amazed by day 2............you just have to be willing to do the 3 minutes morning, afternoon, and PM.........I hope you get this book..........Promise you will not regret it........

I actually looked for a dual cab utility, (small truck), to buy so Jazz had room inside, and I had to travel 1500 km to get one!

Okay...now I know I have found my second home and my true peeps......four months ago my 2500 Dodge quad cab truck went belly up on me, when I went to replace it the only thing on my mind was something big enough for the "boys" to be comfy.

I'm taking my lap top to the dealership to show the guy this thread...cuz he told me I "might have a some helicopter type mommy O.C.D. issues when it came to my boys".

HA! Take this ya silly car guy!!:)

...Tyty takes more supplements, purely for a shiney coat, than I ever have in my life.

Don't tell the hubby, but they are 60%-40% skin/coat supplements vs healthy human foods I add to his food just to treat him. I'll let you all guess the actual ratio.

...Tyty takes more supplements, purely for a shiney coat, than I ever have in my life.

Don't tell the hubby, but they are 60%-40% skin/coat supplements vs healthy human foods I add to his food just to treat him. I'll let you all guess the actual ratio.
Our dogs do tend to get the best! I just got back from a quick trip for supplies..............and came back with no special things for myself, but several new dog toys! :rofl: This might not be so much a sign of obsession and more of a sign of self preservation in these times of social isolation and lock down. That is my excuse anyway! :bag:

Our dogs do tend to get the best! I just got back from a quick trip for supplies..............and came back with no special things for myself, but several new dog toys! :rofl: This might not be so much a sign of obsession and more of a sign of self preservation in these times of social isolation and lock down. That is my excuse anyway! :bag:

Ezri's food, snack and toy bill on Sunday far exceeded what we paid for grocery and supply restock n

Okay...now I know I have found my second home and my true peeps......four months ago my 2500 Dodge quad cab truck went belly up on me, when I went to replace it the only thing on my mind was something big enough for the "boys" to be comfy.

I'm taking my lap top to the dealership to show the guy this thread...cuz he told me I "might have a some helicopter type mommy O.C.D. issues when it came to my boys".

HA! Take this ya silly car guy!!:)

@BamMoMoMommy Where you been???

Back