Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Featured Signs of Doberman Obsession!

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by jazzies mum, Nov 17, 2018.

1. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Member

Hmmmm......................Yep, I have this condition big time!

I wasn't obsessed when I decided to welcome a Doberman/Ridgeback into my home. The decision was made with much thought and having met some (adult!) Dobermans who impressed me mightily. Their looks, their intelligence and general attitude, serious but with a joyful side too. The decision to look for a cross breed was thought out too as I live in a pretty harsh environment and I was worried about whether a pure bred would be tough enough. Went into it with my eyes open to the insane energy levels of a pup needing both mental and physical stimulation, I thought, but I had NO idea really. This is something you have to experience firsthand to get any idea at all! :shock:

So, now we are nearly a year and a half down the track, surviving puppyhood, adolescence and unforeseen circumstances beyond what a young dog is usually exposed to.............and I am obsessed! Yep, absolutely. All the signs are there.

1......I am always talking about my beautiful pup. This is boring for non-Doberman people, and sends non dog people into a coma!

2......I need my daily fix of DC. Get a kick out of most of it, and am always learning something new. Also love encouraging new owners to hang in and wait for the magic, and feel the pain of those who have lost their friends! Obsessed!!!

3......A collar fetish. Flat collar x 2, Prong collar, choke chain, plastic prong collar imitation and a car harness. And I still like the look of other collars people post pics of!

4......Another fetish for winter warmies for her. Sweaters, coats and blankets. Not to mention a willingness to wake up and replace a blanket in the middle of the night! :facepalm:

5......Have become a hypochondriac on her behalf. So much so that I have to ration health related reading to just the basic facts, or I start to worry over every little twitch and dry nose, or slightly loose poop! Obsessed!!!

Okay, that is just 5, and just the tip of the iceburg. Jazz has sold me on Dobermans and I am addicted, (not sure how much of her shows ridgeback traits, possibly an added hard headedness as a puppy and an instinctive fronting up to scarey things) she does show a lot of the Doberman specific behaviours, both good and bad!

Who can add to the list? I'm sure I am not the only one with some obsessive tendencies! :whistle:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  2. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Awesome list and I can relate to all of them.

Adding to:
    6- Use to plan activities around my children. Now I plan activities around Ragnar. I’ve done this so much that the rest of the family does it also.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Years ago, I tended to buy any little trinket I ran across with a Doberman on it. I'd give it a scan: Is that Rott? Nope, pointy ears! I want it! Key chains, even a fanny pack!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Obsessed. Must get the right collar, a prong collar and the ecollar with different color and style of neck gators to cover all the collar before we leave the house. (Their camo gaiters are my favorite). Different harnesses and Xdog vests. All to take them with me to places.

Must be brushed everyday with two types of brushes just to see their shiny coats.

Going to the vet at the drop of a hat for anything.

Obsessed with quality and content of poop. Washing/soaking their paws everyday, wiping them down each evening so they are clean for bed.

Planning trips and adventures around them. Taking them with me proudly everywhere I go.

Planning my work schedule around them and their daily exercise regime. Planning my life around them. And constant photos of them that friends finally get bored looking at.
    Yes I understand obsessed.:D

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Wow x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Member

Ah, yes, the photos! Lots and lots of photos. How could I have not included that!

The planning life around your Dobe sort of becomes just a fact of life that you forget you are doing most of the time. It just is! In Australia it takes a special effort to find accommodation that includes your dog! :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

When we leave them to go on vacations and think about them 100 times or more every day!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

1. When you include them in family portraits and also include their names on birthday & Christmas cards to family members & friends!! If they don’t like it then tough titties :D

2. You have their picture as your backdrop on your phone/tablet/computer.

3. When you spend more on their grooming than your own.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
  8. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Said the kitties when the milk ran dry!:p

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Lol, this is a trick question, I am supposed to complain about Dobermans! :woot2:

Yes obsessed. Both of us! More than I would have ever guessed after dealing with a psycho puppy. In addition to what has already been mentioned, adjusting our lifestyle to include quality time with him speaks volumes for us. It's a pretty major mind shift to think about his needs ahead of ours.

Getting him his own freezer was a bit of a crazy dog lady move and people look at me like I'm nuts if I mention it :D

How else do I know? We've never forgotten to feed the cat. When we got Kaiser, we agreed to feed her before him as part of pack structure, but guess what we've been doing lately :screamcat:

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Lol, this is so true! The Doberman is so fascinating you almost need to discuss and compare in order to fully understand them. They're so emotive and sensitive. I certainly didn't expect this from 'a dog'.

I confess I have looked at little kids luggage for carrying all of Kaiser's gear and then I realized even that wouldn't be big enough :spit:

Now that I think about it, Kaiser has had more pedicures than my hb and I combined over the past 2 years :scratch:

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Great thread and I can relate to all of these!

One more is that we position ourselves in bed so the dogs have room in their own spots so they can sleep comfortably too, not to mention that we will always have a king size bed so we can all fit without being crowded or falling off.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wow x 1