• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Separation Anxiety, The Dog Park and some cute pictures

All the other dogs I had including ones that I adopted at around a year I was able to crate train easily. However, none of them were dobermans which seems to make a big difference. I could zip tie the cage so that she can't get out but I don't want her to get hurt trying to escape. She doesn't respond to treats in her cage at all, she ignores them. I left her out of the crate while I went to the store for about 2 hours and she didn't do any damage but I would like to be able to crate train her if I ever need to put her in one for whatever reason. So do you guys think the best way to go about this would be to put her in there more when I am home?

We crate trained all our dogs while we were home so we could let them in and out frequently to let them know we would always come back, we also give them a treat anytime they go in their crates. With 5 dogs 4 being Dobermans there are always a couple dogs in crates throughout the day. They have all learned to think of their crates as a good place and usually when they are tired, even if they are free in the house they go to their crates to nap.

So do you guys think the best way to go about this would be to put her in there more when I am home?
I think so personally. That way she'll know you're near and she won't associate the crate with you leaving, and I'm sure she'll eventually start feeling more secure in there and learn to find it a nice place to call her own. :)

So do you guys think the best way to go about this would be to put her in there more when I am home?
Oh, most definitely. That's the best time. How else would you know when they have settled down if you can't be there to listen? Remember the 'time and distance' from page 1 here? Apply that here as well. I wouldn't want to put a puppy that's never been crated into a crate for the first time for hours on end. Unless they came from a breeder who had already introduced them to crating, which would be great! But if not, short intervals when you are home to supervise is the best time. As soon as you can tell (listen or sneak a peek!lol) that they have settled, really settled, go back and act like nothing happened and release! Do this several times, lengthening the time as the pup/dog shows improvement in there reaction to it.

Gino started damaging his crate when he hit 8 months. He was not happy to stay there. We decided to confine him to the kitchen area and he was perfect.
If all else fails, confining to a certain area might be the only way. I'm surprised, though, that Gino would be fine in the crate until a certain age? I wonder why? Usually if they are used to it for months, they don't suddenly hate it. :scratch:

If you guys remember I always say you want to set the dog up to WIN. So how we approach things canmake all the difference in how the dog behaves. So first is you need to be 100% on board and convinced it is the best thing for the dog in the long run.

So take the dog out for a long walk - play burn off some energy time. Make sure she has pottied and bring her back inside and get a good treat and crate her turn and leave the room. Now here is the part where most people fail. Ignore her til she is quiet for at least a few minutes. So it could be 15 minutes, it could be an hour. I usually start with the crate right in the main traffic way so I am in and out. But never even look at the crate. Never look at them or talk to them in the crate. Then take her out to potty without talking to her other than to say - Lets go out and potty. Duty first and then greeting after the duty is done.

It is hard for puppies to get it at first because they are used to so much attention. But usually by day three my puppies love to come in for their little nap in the crate before playing more. I start them with nap time AM and PM always giving them a doggie biscuit when I put them in the crate. Once they are napping calmly even if I walk through the room they don't fuss I know we are succeeding.

For an older dog it is harder but you just have to stick with it. So she only gets out when she is quiet. In the long run crate training is a safety feature for the dog. A dog shoujld be comfortable being by itself and confident not anxious. Often dogs that are not crated as puppies become anxious because the area you a leaving them in is too big and this causes fright. Since dogs are den animals they are more comfortable with a small confined area of safety. Puppies do not wander far from the den. They know it is not safe so by giving them a den to relax in gives them peace and security.

If all else fails, confining to a certain area might be the only way. I'm surprised, though, that Gino would be fine in the crate until a certain age? I wonder why? Usually if they are used to it for months, they don't suddenly hate it. :scratch:

I don't have a good explanation... my puppies were always fine in the crate. It was their safe haven.
When they mature they need more freedom... or maybe they don't feel comfortable not to be able to protect the property? Personally I think it's against Doberman nature to lock a dog in the crate when nobody is around.

I see troubles are coming with Asha.... she was always comfortable in her crate. Now I see sad eyes and unhappy look when I crate her.

Does anyone have an explanation?

If you guys remember I always say you want to set the dog up to WIN. So how we approach things canmake all the difference in how the dog behaves. So first is you need to be 100% on board and convinced it is the best thing for the dog in the long run.

So take the dog out for a long walk - play burn off some energy time. Make sure she has pottied and bring her back inside and get a good treat and crate her turn and leave the room. Now here is the part where most people fail. Ignore her til she is quiet for at least a few minutes. So it could be 15 minutes, it could be an hour. I usually start with the crate right in the main traffic way so I am in and out. But never even look at the crate. Never look at them or talk to them in the crate. Then take her out to potty without talking to her other than to say - Lets go out and potty. Duty first and then greeting after the duty is done.

It is hard for puppies to get it at first because they are used to so much attention. But usually by day three my puppies love to come in for their little nap in the crate before playing more. I start them with nap time AM and PM always giving them a doggie biscuit when I put them in the crate. Once they are napping calmly even if I walk through the room they don't fuss I know we are succeeding.

For an older dog it is harder but you just have to stick with it. So she only gets out when she is quiet. In the long run crate training is a safety feature for the dog. A dog shoujld be comfortable being by itself and confident not anxious. Often dogs that are not crated as puppies become anxious because the area you a leaving them in is too big and this causes fright. Since dogs are den animals they are more comfortable with a small confined area of safety. Puppies do not wander far from the den. They know it is not safe so by giving them a den to relax in gives them peace and security.

Good training. Will you feed me a biscuit if I'm quite? Lol No crate though...they don't make crates big enough for me to get comfortable.

Cya

Good training. Will you feed me a biscuit if I'm quite? Lol No crate though...they don't make crates big enough for me to get comfortable.

Cya
Oh yes they do. I wish I had a photo of the crate Spock's brother has. This thing is big enough to keep 3 human adults in fairly comfortably. I could stand up in it without ducking.

If you guys remember I always say you want to set the dog up to WIN. So how we approach things canmake all the difference in how the dog behaves.
Like, like, like! lol This makes all the difference in the world!:thumbsup:
Perfect! Especially the 'not looking/talking at them'! :)

Back