Sabrina and the Herding Ranch Dog trial - July 15-16, 2017

obbanner

Hot Topics Subscriber
I knocked off another bucket list item on Sunday. I always liked watching herding dogs work and admired the videos of dogs working flocks. The American Herding Breeds Association has a course called the Herding Ranch Dog course with 10 sheep with a variation called the Ranch-Large Flock which uses 30 sheep.

The course is to take the sheep from a pen, take them on lanes over a bridge to a grazing area. The sheep have to actually graze for 5 minutes while the dog holds them within the area, then the flock is taken out onto the lane and to a road. The flock has to be held at the road while the handler checks for traffic. Then the flock is led onto the road and back to the pen. We're allowed 25 minutes to do it. See the map below. We grazed in area 1. At all times, the flock must be within defined boundaries, including the entrance and exit of the graze area. Other than the pen, there is no fencing and the dog does the work.

Our Sheltie Sabrina did the course once before on a Fun Day and, through error, I learned what to do and what not to do on the course. So I entered her with the object of having a brag that I was in a ranch dog trial. The little stinker did the course with only three points deducted and beat the Border Collies. She did it in 16 minutes of the 25 allowed.

Sabrina won the prize of a decorated herding stick (see below) that was brought back from India by the host clubs president because she had the highest score of all the Herding Ranch Dog and the Ranch-Large Flock entries.

She won even though she was docked 10 points because she was at the entry level, not the advanced level, which has to do a shed. Her highest possible score was 90 and the other classes had a maximum score of 100.

Sabrina also got a leg in the Herding Trial Dog course (the other blue ribbon) and on Saturday, earned her AKC title for Herding Started B Course Ducks and her first leg for Herding Master title on the A Course.

That run will be one I'll remember forever because it was what I love about training dogs. We worked perfectly as a team. She saw what I was doing and moved to her position perfectly. She adapted her pace to push the flock without making them run me over. On her own, she moved to keep the sheep online when one would start veering towards the lane boundary. I saw when she needed a bit of help and moved myself to where I could help her.

RS_20170716_163536good.jpg

CourseMap.jpg

Attachments

• CourseMap.jpg
    CourseMap.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 0
  • RS_20170716_163536good.jpg
    RS_20170716_163536good.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
That's awesome, Art.:thumbsup:

More pics!!

Thanks!

Since you asked...

I'll go into detail for this trial because DOBERMANS ARE ELIGIBLE TO TITLE in the American Herding Breeds Association. I plan to enter my Anna in herding trials and am now teaching her the fundamental commands.

Jeri showed up for my last run of the trials and video'd my duck run. Sabrina Q'd, but it's a terrible run. We were both worn out from two days of trials, but it's fun to watch because we can't keep the ducks together. There's one place where one duck keeps running around a panel and Sabrina can't get it to rejoin the flock. The run itself is over when I straighten up after stopping the ducks and the judge shouts, "That's a hold!". Then we put the ducks in the pen as a convenience for the duck wranglers, but even that doesn't go smoothly.

This is a short video of Sabrina working as a stock dog at a fun day. She's getting the sheep out of the fields so we put them three sheep to a pen. The incredibly obnoxious sound you hear in the background is my Anna in the car who's upset because she's not able to enjoy the fun. (The sheep would be in California by now if I let her loose on them at her current level of training.)

This is the score sheet for Sabrina's run. Herding judges have to watch the action continually for long periods, so they get assigned a scribe whose job it is to do the paperwork. The judge will say what deductions to make and the scribe writes it down. A typical judges comment is "Half off on the outrun." meaning to take half a point off.

RS_AHBA-HRD-I-JudgesScribesSheet.jpg

This is two pages from the premium list with the classes and prizes. The classes are as follows -

JHD - Junior Herding Dog - a testing class, not a trialing class. It's a pass/fail, not scored class.
HTAD - Herding Trial Arena Dog - the class is run in an enclosed area. For sheep, it's the size of a football field. For ducks, it's the size of a basketball court.
HTD - Herding Trial Dog - the class is run in an open field with obstacles
HRD - Herding Ranch Dog - the class is run in an open field in a simulation of an English country village.
RLF - Ranch Large Flock - identical to HRD, but with 30-100 sheep instead of 10.

RS_AHBA-PremiumList-AllPrizes.jpg

Update - A funny story. Recap - this picture has the decorated herding staff Sabrina won and the orange stuffed toys she won for first prizes in two classes.

I had a mug made for my wife (Sabrina is technically Jeri's dog, she just lets me play with her) for her birthday. She has it on her desk at work. A visitor to the office was looking at it from a distance and asked Jeri in a very puzzled voice, "What does your husband hunt???" He thought the herding staff was a shotgun and couldn't figure out what game is orange! :):):)

RS_A_20170823_094104.jpg

Update - A funny story. Recap - this picture has the decorated herding staff Sabrina won and the orange stuffed toys she won for first prizes in two classes.

I had a mug made for my wife (Sabrina is technically Jeri's dog, she just lets me play with her) for her birthday. She has it on her desk at work. A visitor to the office was looking at it from a distance and asked Jeri in a very puzzled voice, "What does your husband hunt???" He thought the herding staff was a shotgun and couldn't figure out what game is orange! :):):)

View attachment 76725
The coffee cup story is funny. Although at first glance my mind registered gun and game. Hahahaha

Back