Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Rubie's Agility Career

Discussion in 'Schutzhund and Ring Sports' started by LifeofRubie, May 27, 2018.

1. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

Alrighty!

We had so much fun today! I signed up for just 3 runs today because I don't think Rubie can handle a full day of trialing, mentally.

First up: Jumpers! Complete the course as numbered within the time limit and without faults. Nothing exciting here but a fun way to start the day! For #8, the tunnel in the corner, you can take either side as the entrance; that's why the number is in the center.
    IMG_20180729_072957-01.jpeg

Next: Jackpot! This was intimidating but ended up being really fun. Clearly defined start (#1) and to end the run, you just need to get a paw on the table. Each obstacle has a point value assigned (jumps = 1, contacts = 5, tunnels = 3, weave poles = 6 [I think]) and there is the 5 point combo identified. This was non-traditional so an obstacle taken after a tunnel was worth double points. All levels compete on the same course but your level determines how many points you need to Q. Also, big dogs had 30 seconds to collect points and then a timer buzzed and you had 18 seconds to get back to the table to end the run. Very interesting having only a rough plan and kind of winging it, waiting for the buzzer, making sure you had points without being greedy, etc. We needed 32pts and got 44pts with time remaining and no faults!
    IMG_20180729_111130.jpg

And last: Standards! A super fun and fast way to end the day on a good note! Again, very straight forward. Complete the course in the time allowed with minimal faults. We did get a fault because I sent Rubie back over Jump 2 instead of to Tunnel 6 when we were coming back over the A-frame. Got back on course and finished in plenty of time!
    IMG_20180729_072948.jpg

Rubie is also getting a lot better with learning to relax in her crate between runs which is almost just as important. That's the only way you can get up to 5 runs in a day, I think!

No one to take any videos and no Photographers today so just my picture of my goodest girl when we got home :)
    IMG_20180729_145047.jpg

• Wow x 6
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Wow!!!

A superstar and a movie star....

Congrats there Rubie!!!

Thanks so much for your detailed description.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That Rubie is a star athlete!! I love seeing her wins!!

4. blacknrust

blacknrust Notable member

Congratulations! You must be so proud of beautiful Rubie!

5. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Wow for Rubie! :thumbsup2:

I see a moose trying to share the limelight :tongueclosed:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. LifeofRubie

Thank you! It's as much for my memory of events as for anyone else who is interested in how these things go so a little self-serving :D

Thank you! I was trying to compare her times to other dogs and I THINK we're not the slowest so could still do well if we had some competition! It will happen sooner than I think, I'm sure, so I'm enjoying our uncontested wins for the time being. At least we can Q even if we don't place so no need to be so greedy :woot2:

I am SO PROUD! I love when we get such positive comments, too, after a run. People have said that we're a really great team, she's so fun to watch, she looks like she's having so much fun, etc., and that's what it's all about at the end of the day. The judge yesterday was very adamant that if you did ANYTHING in any sort of negative way toward your dog, she'd find out and there would be consequences. There were a couple of dogs who got their C-ATCH titles yesterday and everyone claps and cheers and I cry a little. It takes so much time and teamwork to get to that point that you can't help but be overcome with emotion!

One of these days, we will bring him to watch! The place we've been going is a bit of drive so hopefully we can get into a closer event, soon. Then I'll have a camera man, too! Here, he's really just mooching for treats - I mean... supporting his sister :rolleyes:

So I have another premium going out today to register for a Trial on September 15th. Two of the courses will be at Level 2 (Standard and Wildcard) and two will still be at Level 1 (Colors and Full-House) - anything highlighted we've completed, underlined with what we're registering for. We're still missing a Snooker run to totally complete our Level 1 so I'll have to find a way to sneak that in. I guess I can technically throw a CL1-R at the end of Rubies name, now, too!

[​IMG]

I love sharing this adventure with you guys. I get so proud of other members when they share their accomplishments like I'm right there with them and I know you guys feel the same about us. I just love this community!

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  7. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Awesome Job! :wow: :congrats:

8. LifeofRubie

Well, we are all signed up for our third trial! September 15th and we've moved up to Level 2 for a couple of the courses! If we qualify in the two Level 1s we're signed up for, we'll get our CL1-H and CL1-F (Handler and Fun titles, respectively) and need only a Q in Snooker to finish our Level 1 Title, CL1. Level 2 requires twice as many Qs as Level 1 so will take a bit more time to get through but well within our capabilities, I think.

No trials in August but we are going to do a fun run on Saturday - hopefully some of our agility class friends will be there, too!

• Like Like x 3
  9. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Good LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Ddski5

Moved up to Level 2....

How many levels are there?

There are more Q’s involved but do the obstacles get harder?

Great job!! And good luck!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. LifeofRubie

You've opened a can of worms!! :D I only know how CPE works, unfortunately.

There are technically 6 Levels in CPE but once you complete Level 5 (C-ATCH titles), you enter Level C (C-ATE).

There are a minimum and maximum number of obstacles allowed on each course depending on the level and the 'game' (course). Level 1-2 are also allowed to have 10 faults per run but still Q; Level 5 you can have 5 faults and Q; once you get into Level C, clean runs ONLY will Q.

For some of the other games like Jackpot and Wildcard, you need to earn points by completing obstacles on the course to Q. So the Wildcard run that Rubie and I did during our last trial, Level 1 needed 32 points to Q but we actually ended up getting 44 which was a Level 45C qualification score (still only counts as completed at Level 1).

Level 1 does not have weaves; Level 2 can have a maximum of 6 weave poles; Level 3 and higher have 12 weave poles.

It's not that the obstacles get more difficult but the courses definitely do! I'll get some pictures of a Level 1 vs Level 45C courses at our next trial. And then, yes, you need more Qs to move up.
    So Level 1 altogether requires 8 Qs
    Level 2 16 Qs
    Level 3 22 Qs
    Level 4 28 Qs
    Level 5 40 Qs
    Level C 140 Qs (for 3000 points) are defined but you need an additional 2000 points (80-130 Qs in handlers choice) to Title

CPE, in general, has a pretty relaxed and laid back vibe. I'm usually one of the youngest people competing. When you get into your USDAA and UKI and even AKC, it get's a lot more competitive and I think attracts a younger, more glory-bound competitor.

CPE doesn't do 'backsides," where you have to send your dog around the back of the jump, so if you have a dog that does distance, you can literally stand in the middle of the course and point at the obstacles. There are several ladies I've seen at trials who can do this with their dogs. The shuffle out there with their border collies and just get them going in the right direction and the can run a whole course super quick.

It's been a great venue to compete in as newbie. I'm not sure I have any desire to go onto something super competitive like the USDAAs or UKIs. One of our trainers does USDAA a lot and you really do have to train, train, train and make it a lifestyle.

This video popped up a few weeks ago and this team is just AMAZING. They do a lot of backsides here - where it looks like the dog goes around the jump before jumping it. We practice them a lot but don't see them in competition.

AND since this is a Doberman Forum! - this is the team that made me think agility would be an absolute blast! They're not competing anymore, though...

This looks like USDAA with the number of obstacles and the total non-sense appearance of the course

And then AKC

Sorry for the very lengthy response but it got me to reading the handbook, at least!!!!

12. Ddski5

Wow.... Agility can get really up there and be super competitive.

Looks like the handler gets a lot of exercise also.

Amazing how the dog is hauling ass but at same time has the mind and ability to look at handler for the next direction to task.

Fun to watch those videos and thanks for taking the time to explain all this

• Like Like x 1
  13. LifeofRubie

It was absolutely my pleasure! Thank you for asking! And yes, it's been a very good bonding experience for us :D

14. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow I totally missed this first time around but this is awesome and Rubie is kicking some serious butt!!! :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NikiL02

NikiL02 Formerly Nlr02 $ Forum Donor $

Thanks for sharing the vids. I can't wait for the results from Rubie!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. LifeofRubie

It's definitely not the prettiest run we've ever done but not terrible. Obviously weaves will be something we work a LOT on in the next few weeks.... Luckily this is just a fun run and not a trial run.

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  17. Ddski5

BUT.....

She looks so graceful with those jumps and patient with the see-saw.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. meriberi_00

meriberi_00 Jr Member

Congratulations to you both!!:D

19. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Looking awesome. The girl is an athlete for sure!!

20. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I just adore watching Rubie doing Agility. She’s a natural:)