Rubie in Barn Hunt

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Awww, I hope it gets better! I do get it though. You've both gotta be having fun to make it worth it, that's for sure. I can see Rubie's mindset with learning something new is fun, the rinse & repeat not so much. Maybe the experienced folks here will have some ideas to make it fresh?

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Well...

We entered a TINY trial yesterday. There were 4 dogs total in Open. Not 4 blinds... 4 DOGS. Spent almost 3 hours in the car round trip and was on-site for about 45 minutes total. But hey, I was home before 10:15am!!

We timed out on our first run which has been Rubie's M.O. Find one rat, tunnel, climb, time out.

I think I was so eager to get our 3rd Open Q that when she pawed a tube in our second run, I called RAT. Pawing a tube is not her (typical) indicator :facepalm: Left empty handed and me calling my first wrong tube in trial.

I don't think any of the other dogs in Open Qed across either run. It was hot even though it was early and none of the dogs seemed particularly ramped up. The other 3 ladies were talking while we were in the blind and it sounds like they've all been in Open Purgatory for a while.

I'm sort of thinking we won't get very far in Senior (if we ever get there hahahahaha). Timing out in Open gives me little hope we can work fast enough in Senior. I've already sent premiums in for two upcoming barn hunts but that may be it for Rubie! She's getting into the same mindset that she got into in Agility. Training is fun for her, trialing is a struggle. Unfortunately, I can't justify spending all that time and money on either if we're not going to progress.
And that's ok. Have fun where and when you can. When it's not fun anymore, move on and maybe come back later to see if there's a different approach and mindset to get progress. If not, that just may be her limits. That's ok!

LifeofRubie

Awww, I hope it gets better! I do get it though. You've both gotta be having fun to make it worth it, that's for sure. I can see Rubie's mindset with learning something new is fun, the rinse & repeat not so much. Maybe the experienced folks here will have some ideas to make it fresh?

That's almost exactly what it seems to be. Something is fun and new and exciting and we Qed 3/3 for our Novice Title! In Open, we've Qed 2/8, I think. Those are like Masters Level Q rates :rofl: She just gets into a trial environment and has zero motivation (EXCEPT WITH FCAT!!!). I know it's not about Qs but she just doesn't look like she wants to be there.

And that's ok. Have fun where and when you can. When it's not fun anymore, move on and maybe come back later to see if there's a different approach and mindset to get progress. If not, that just may be her limits. That's ok!

I appreciate that. I feel we have all the basic titles down but then you get into more advanced stuff and she's like, NOPE! Someone probably looks at her titles and goes, Wow, they don't stay committed to anything (I don't doubt it in the dog world!). Maybe we'll stick to FCAT for a while!

obbanner

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
I appreciate that. I feel we have all the basic titles down but then you get into more advanced stuff and she's like, NOPE! Someone probably looks at her titles and goes, Wow, they don't stay committed to anything (I don't doubt it in the dog world!). Maybe we'll stick to FCAT for a while!

I found Dobies get bored and taking a break can help. It can help you as well. I try very hard not to enter the ring with a negative attitude, which was very difficult when AJ had the Gabapentin episode. One way that helps is to think let's find one rat. Only one rat. When one is found, we scored a victory even if we didn't Q. Then if we find more (or all), it's a huge victory. I try not go get ahead of myself mentally in the ring.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
One way that helps is to think let's find one rat. Only one rat. When one is found, we scored a victory even if we didn't Q. Then if we find more (or all), it's a huge victory. I
That's exactly what we did at our first trial between days. It really helps you walk away feeling accomplished because you set goals that are achievable! Ripley hit a litter tube the first time and played with the pool noodle so I said, let's hit one rat and out the noodle when told. Not leave it alone, because I knew it would be too tempting until we could work on it at home, but I knew she knew how to out. Adding the tunnel in for a Q was too much to ask. Needed more work at home with the board added in. The next day she outted the bumper AND found the rats in both trials! We didn't Q but we both left happy, which is really refreshing. A break is always a good thing too.

@LifeofRubie I don't look at the novice titles as not being able to focus on one thing. I see it as being able to train and have fun as a team in multiple things. There is no race or bar you need to hold yourself against. You do things at your pace, at Rubie's pace and what sounds fun to you and what she finds fun. If she isn't having fun in anything, take a breather and come back to it. What can you do to make it more fun? Trial stress is a real thing and I've read so many times how the Handler's stress and pressure can be felt right down to the dog to where the dog does great at home but doesn't in trials because of this new pressure.

Rosa

Hot Topics Subscriber
Now, what did I say earlier about Shylah being perfect for lizard hunting. This is her second lizard (that I've seen her catch)...the last one got away because she put it down to look at it. This time, she didn't take any chances. Of course, when we released it, she was like, "Hey, I caught that; that's mine!"

Attachments

• Lizard Hunt 2.jpg
    Lizard Hunt 2.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Lizard Hunt 3.jpg
    Lizard Hunt 3.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Lizard Hunt 4.jpg
    Lizard Hunt 4.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Lizard Hunt 5.jpg
    Lizard Hunt 5.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Lizard Hunt.jpg
    Lizard Hunt.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 3

Rosa

Hot Topics Subscriber
What did I say about hunting rats earlier?? Well, here is one rat that didn't get away! Shylah really wanted it; it was much more exciting than lizards.

Attachments

• IMG_8401.JPG
    IMG_8401.JPG
    426.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8404.JPG
    IMG_8404.JPG
    422.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8424.JPG
    IMG_8424.JPG
    581.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8440.JPG
    IMG_8440.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 4

Rosa

Hot Topics Subscriber
Rubie would love to get her paws on one that wasn't in a tube :rofl:
Poor Twilight almost went crazy when she caught a wiff of that rat...but it was out of reach. I won't let them get at them because I don't know if they have eaten poison. But it was with Twilight that I learned to deal with rats barehanded.