• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Reoccurring UTI

Lenny717

Novitiate
Hey everyone!
I have a 6 1/2 month old (63 Lbs) male red and rust, I got him from a very reputable breeder, and he is AKC registered. Since he was about 2.5-3 months old he has been getting a UTI every 2-3 weeks and no amount of or different antibiotics will take it away for an extended period of time, tomorrow will be our 8th vet visit about this problem. So far the urinalysis's shows bacteria and sediment but the urine cultures (we have done four) come back negative. The vet thinks it may be congenital, due to him being so young. I've done ALOT of research which have led me to two different avenues, A) kidney disease; its possible one of his kidneys did not form correctly in the womb and B) "Benign prostatic hypertrophy & Prostatitis (prostate infection) which would cause reoccurring UTI's; the only fix to this would be getting him neutered. Ive also read about waiting 18-24 months before neutering dobermans, haven't found information on why but I assume it has to do with growth hormones and overall development. I guess my question is what would be the better of two evils? getting him fixed at 7 months old or riding this out until he is at least 13 months old? his current symptoms are occasional blood in the urine, incontinence, FOUL breath, very frequent licking, and more recently has wanted to sleep on the couch versus in bed with me. Thank you so much for reading, any ideas or thoughts?

IMG_4307.jpegIMG_4374.jpeg

Has he had a complete workup to show if there is kidney disease or failure? I recall from working at a vet clinic years and years ago that there is a breath odor that comes with kidney failure and it's very distinct. Unless your young dog has a tooth problem - maybe not losing one of his baby teeth? - he should not have repulsive breath. I would try to find the exact cause of the UTI's before neutering as it is much healthier for your dog to remain intact until at least 18 - 24 months. I also recall somewhere on this forum (I think) someone had surgery on their dog and found out it only had one kidney... so maybe it is a hereditary thing in Dobes? I don't know, just speculating the kidney thing. Perhaps someone else with more experience will chime in.

Nice looking boy in your photos!

Has your breeder been made aware of the ongoing issues you've been having? If so, have they recommended anything? If not, they need to be made aware of it.

Other then antibiotics, has your vet suggested a diet change or dietary supplement?
Cran-Tri-C is a daily supplement that supports a healthy urinary tract.... might be worth checking out.
Dogzymes Cran-Tri-C Cranberry and Vitamin C Blend 1418mg per Teaspoon - Nature's Farmacy

*** I'm not a vet and I don't work for Nature's Farmacy, so I'm not trying to sell or push anything. AS ALWAYS, CHECK WITH YOUR VET ANYTIME YOU ADD A SUPPLIMENT TO YOUR DOG'S DIET***

When my Dalmatian was 3mo - 8mo, she had several UTI's and all the vet did was push antibiotic. A breeder friend suggested I try the Tri-Cran-c. After 2 mo, no more UTI. I kept her at recommended dose (1/2 tsp daily) for 6 mo, then dropped her down to half a dose daily. She hasn't had a UTI since and she'll be 3 this yr. (WHAT WORKS FOR ONE DOG, MIGHT NOT WORK FOR ALL DOGS)

I've done ALOT of research which have led me to two different avenues, A) kidney disease; its possible one of his kidneys did not form correctly in the womb and B) "Benign prostatic hypertrophy & Prostatitis (prostate infection) which would cause reoccurring UTI's; the only fix to this would be getting him neutered.
I would totally disregard that thought and wait to get him neutered. Some of the research can be way off base and with this breed it's much better to leave them intact as long as possible.

I agree that trying the natural supplement is a great place to start.

So sorry your boy is going through health troubles at such a young age. Have you had a second opinion? I wasn't sure if 8th vet visit was all under the same vet. I would think they would be able to locate his kidneys on an x-ray or ultrasound?

I used Cran Tri C for my girl shortly after she came home until she was a little older than 12 months. It was recommended to me by a friend of my breeder for my puppy's knuckling issues at a young age, plus it has good kidney support since puppies can be more prone to UTIs. Nature's Farmacy is a great brand. I use their complete supplements now that she's older.

Yes, I would probably wait to Neuter.

Surprised with the urine cultures they couldn't determine what bacteria is causing it to choose the correct antibiotic.
Would also maybe add Dandelion and Milk Thistle. They can help support the Kidney's and Liver.
Would also add a good Probiotic since all the antibiotics will also upset the microbiome in the gut. Because antibiotics also kill good bacteria.

You can also try D-Mannose it comes in capsules and powder. You can also give the Cran Tri-C Cranberry at the same time.

UTI Pets Pure D-Mannose Powder​

UTI Pets Pure D-Mannose Powder is:

1. Sourced in Ireland, NON GMO ORGANIC Corn
  2. Contains NO toxic chemicals, 100% Pure D Mannose
  3. Vegan Product
  4. Kosher
  5. Especially aimed for pets that tend to suffer with bladder issues.
  6. Urinary Tract Infections are relieved safely and quickly without the use of antibiotics.*
  7. UTI Pets D Mannose helps urinary tract infection (UTI) quickly and safely by causing the bacteria to be flushed right out of your pets system.
  8. 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
UTI Pets Pure D-Mannose Powder is a wholly absorbable sugar that you feed to your pets. UTI Slip D-Mannose can be include in your pet's food . It's a non-metabolized sugar, which means it does not interfere with your pet's pH balance or blood sugar, it does not prompt additional pancreatic stress (insulin release), and it does not change the level of good to bad bacteria in your pet's digestive tract.

Your pet absorbs the sugar wholly and it is excreted through the kidneys and into the bladder. Bacteria are attracted to an energy source, so when UTI Pets Pure D-mannose is present in the urine, the bacteria leave the lining of your pet's bladder, clinging to the UTI Pets Pure D-Mannose, and your pet voids out the bacteria.

It's not a true antibiotic but UTI Pets Pure D-Mannose absolutely has anti-microbial properties, which means it does a great job of fighting infections, naturally. To simplify, The bacteria stick to the D-Mannose and when your pet urinates, the bacteria flush out.

Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are uncomfortable and extremely painful. They tend to be more common in cats than dogs and can be caused by bacterial infection, bladder stones or urolithiasis (stones in the urinary tract). UTI's often recur and can lead to more serious kidney infections if left untreated.

Conventional treatment of UTI's will depend on the specific cause of the problem. In many cases, antibiotics are prescribed. However, antibiotics tend to have a general weakening effect on the immune system which can cause further problems, especially in the long-term and particularly if they are prescribed regularly for recurrent infections.

UTI Pets Pure D Mannose Powder is a natural remedy that addresses symptoms of urinary tract infections at the cellular level, stimulating the body's own healing mechanisms to overcome the symptoms naturally while effectively promoting harmony, health and balance in your pet's bladder and urinary tract.

UTI Pets D Mannose Powder for Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). UTI Pets comes in a powdered form, that mixes easily with water or in wet food.

Serving size: 1/2 teaspoon. Suggested use for an an infection: Day 1, one serving with water every 2 hours, maximum of seven servings. Day 2, one serving with water every 3 hours, maximum of five servings. Day 3, one serving with water every 4 hours, maximum of three servings. Suggested use for daily maintenance: One serving daily with water.

65 grams per Jar. Safe. Effective. Fast. Affordable. Treat urinary tract infections without the use of traditional antibiotics.* We have an unconditional money back guarantee for our UTI Pets D Mannose!

Urinary tract infections are painful for pets as well as humans, and if left untreated can progress to the bladder and kidneys, resulting in a much more dangerous infection that can lead to death. Unfortunately, controlling and preventing UTIs in pets are subject to major challenges, as both diagnosis and treatment can prove to be difficult.

Since pets cannot simply tell us what they're feeling, a UTI in a dog or cat can be hard to diagnose until symptoms are visible. You should always keep a close eye on your pet's behavior so you can identify changes that can be the first signs of health issues. Symptoms of a UTI include drinking extra water, struggling to urinate, bloody or cloudy urine or urine with a strong smell, frequent urination or incontinence. Other symptoms include more general symptoms that come with many illnesses, such as fever and lack of energy.

Treatment presents its own difficulties, as getting an animal to take a pill can be a challenge. Antibiotics can cause a new set of problems such as diarrhea due to the killing of beneficial gut bacteria along with the infection. Plus, the UTI can return in a matter of weeks and many dogs and cats suffer them chronically.

D-Mannose Powder is a natural alternative to antibiotics that works by preventing certain bacteria from adhering to the urinary tract. Our UTI Pets Pure D-Mannose Powder is made from non-GMO corn and does not include any harmful ingredients like xylitol which is toxic to dogs. It is safe to use for daily maintenance and can be added to food or water.

*Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.

UTI Pets D-Mannose

Hello everyone… I’m going thru the same thing with my 1 1/5 year old rust spayed female, they have tried antibiotics on her, cleared it up for about two months, and they just keep reoccurring! Now their saying it’s bacteria and put her on prednisone.. that caused her to wet the bed while she was sleeping. They have done ultrasound and her kidneys are fine and no stones. This last time they took swaps of her vagina and sent it to a lab, we’re now waiting for results. It’s so frustrating to see my baby girl having discomfort, and not knowing what the heck is going on. Hopefully when the results come back, they will know something. I will keep all posted on results… meantime I have put her on the Cran-tri C in hopes this helps!

Hello everyone… I’m going thru the same thing with my 1 1/5 year old rust spayed female, they have tried antibiotics on her, cleared it up for about two months, and they just keep reoccurring! Now their saying it’s bacteria and put her on prednisone.. that caused her to wet the bed while she was sleeping. They have done ultrasound and her kidneys are fine and no stones. This last time they took swaps of her vagina and sent it to a lab, we’re now waiting for results. It’s so frustrating to see my baby girl having discomfort, and not knowing what the heck is going on. Hopefully when the results come back, they will know something. I will keep all posted on results… meantime I have put her on the Cran-tri C in hopes this helps!

Have they also done urine cultures?

Back