Reactivity?

Took Pepper to a park today I knew would have dogs and be fairly busy. There are horses there too kept in the barns close to the park.

I went with hotdogs and some kibble to be prepared. ☺️

She saw many dogs on leashes and we made distance each time, I let her look, she made the right decision and turned to me or responded to her name. This happened multiple times. We then turned a corner near the barn, about 5 feet ahead of us were 4 dogs on leash in a pack. I did not panic. I said - hey this way Pepper!

We turned back and she happily came to me and didn’t react to the dogs. She sat and watched them pass by and turned to me again.

We watched the horses from some distance she was intrigued, but did not bark. She made the decision to look and come to me when she wanted or I said her name.

Today was a win! Hope we can keep working towards that. IMG_3609.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3610.webp
    IMG_3610.webp
    610.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3603.webp
    IMG_3603.webp
    1 MB · Views: 2
Took Pepper to a park today I knew would have dogs and be fairly busy. There are horses there too kept in the barns close to the park.

I went with hotdogs and some kibble to be prepared. ☺️

She saw many dogs on leashes and we made distance each time, I let her look, she made the right decision and turned to me or responded to her name. This happened multiple times. We then turned a corner near the barn, about 5 feet ahead of us were 4 dogs on leash in a pack. I did not panic. I said - hey this way Pepper!

We turned back and she happily came to me and didn’t react to the dogs. She sat and watched them pass by and turned to me again.

We watched the horses from some distance she was intrigued, but did not bark. She made the decision to look and come to me when she wanted or I said her name.

Today was a win! Hope we can keep working towards that. View attachment 143756
Oh hell yeah!!!
Fricking love it…that kind of progress took me months with Ragnar.

Great job!
 
That’s great!
With my Ragnar, I don’t know if it was specific training outside the dog park but rather desensitization being exposed to that kind of stimulation…I guess that could be considered training. It just took a long time of going out there very often.
 
That’s great!
With my Ragnar, I don’t know if it was specific training outside the dog park but rather desensitization being exposed to that kind of stimulation…I guess that could be considered training. It just took a long time of going out there very often.
I think we just have to keep at it and in different places. We walked for awhile and I let her explore before we went to the bark park. I was anxious a bit, but tried to not let her know. She did really well and idk what triggers her at times. Like I’m the car she’ll bark at people. Yet we stopped at the acme grocery store today and watched people she as totally fine.
I’ve been telling her “yes, I see it” when I see a dog or person or person on a bike. She then sees whatever it is and looks at me and I say “yes, good girl”. I got that from you :) thank you! lt is working as she knows I got it and I see it so we are good.
 
I don’t know if it was specific training outside the dog park but rather desensitization being exposed to that kind of stimulation…I guess that could be considered training. It just took a long time of going out
And all of us need to remember that some dogs are more wired to react to stimulus/strangers than others and need way more to come down to the level we require of them! Great perseverance on your part for making Ragnar the best he could be. And you too, @MichiH - your work will bring out the best in your girl!
 
rather desensitization being exposed to that kind of stimulation…I guess that could be considered training.
I really like desensitization training. It can be really easy too. I just think about being deliberately clumsy around my dog. Whoops, I dropped my keys, whoops, I dropped my clipboard, Oh dear!, I knocked over the broom and it fell and made noise! Oh my! the cardboard box from Amazon just fell off the counter! :rofl: Not much surprises her anymore as far as sudden movements or loud noises. The same should all apply with new dogs, areas, horses?

She did really well and idk what triggers her at times. Like I’m the car she’ll bark at people. Yet we stopped at the acme grocery store today and watched people she as totally fine.
I do not know if this is widespread among Dobermans, but we can drive past a pedestrian in our car, and Katyusha will lose her mind. Especially if the person is walking a dog, but even if they aren't: mind lost. This is the same dog that would meet literally anyone in a lobby or anywhere else not in the car or at home with "hey can I meet you and maybe help you take some stress off?" I think for Katyusha, It is mostly a matter of what she believes she "owns". Our house, our car, I think she holds a higher value on protecting those areas. Other places, not so much. I am not excusing her behavior, but at home and in the car, it's only likely to bother folks who should feel bothered. In public, she doesn't display the behavior to bother anyone, so, no harm no foul. I choose to let her do her thing this way, not to say that others wouldn't want different outcomes. In our case it was do I want to win every single training battle with her, or do I just want to win the war?
And you too, @MichiH - your work will bring out the best in your girl!
I agree here. You are thoughtfully raising up your Pepper and the rewards for that are not far around the corner!
 
I really like desensitization training. It can be really easy too. I just think about being deliberately clumsy around my dog. Whoops, I dropped my keys, whoops, I dropped my clipboard, Oh dear!, I knocked over the broom and it fell and made noise! Oh my! the cardboard box from Amazon just fell off the counter! :rofl: Not much surprises her anymore as far as sudden movements or loud noises. The same should all apply with new dogs, areas, horses?


I do not know if this is widespread among Dobermans, but we can drive past a pedestrian in our car, and Katyusha will lose her mind. Especially if the person is walking a dog, but even if they aren't: mind lost. This is the same dog that would meet literally anyone in a lobby or anywhere else not in the car or at home with "hey can I meet you and maybe help you take some stress off?" I think for Katyusha, It is mostly a matter of what she believes she "owns". Our house, our car, I think she holds a higher value on protecting those areas. Other places, not so much. I am not excusing her behavior, but at home and in the car, it's only likely to bother folks who should feel bothered. In public, she doesn't display the behavior to bother anyone, so, no harm no foul. I choose to let her do her thing this way, not to say that others wouldn't want different outcomes. In our case it was do I want to win every single training battle with her, or do I just want to win the war?

I agree here. You are thoughtfully raising up your Pepper and the rewards for that are not far around the corner!
@Katyusharocket exactly how Pepper reacts in the car and our yard. Otherwise she is happy as can be and wants to greet people. I haven’t let her for the most part working on keeping her engaged when we are walking. Good points made and that makes a lot of sense about what they own.

And thank you for you kind comment and @Ravenbird as well ❤️
 

Back
Top