Random Pet Photo of the Day - 2026

Today is beautiful after we’ve had cold weather and a ton of rain for days!

We found a stuffed beaver in the open space lol I panicked at first and was ready to fight, but apparently Pepper was too 😂 and check out the water she was zooming up!
Ready for the water to dry up over it 😑


View attachment 163695View attachment 163696
Ha ha, great pic! I can hear the gears whirring:

Racoon? "Nope"
Bunny? "Nope"

WTF is it?...
"Danger Will Robinson Danger..."
 
Rehomed my flock of chickens and we moved into town for the winter. This will be new. Have the boys at the shop with me today. They were rowdy indoors, don't usually allow it, but not much to do at the shop for them. First time ever that they've slept together, not separated by bars! 😁 I'll take that as a successful day.
1000039023.webp
 
Ought to be interesting - not having to chop ice for water or climb boulders for exercise and eating kelp to survive...j/k 😉

And how you get your steps in with them in town vs on the island...

One thing I do like about these dobes is they DO have an off switch... happy to be couch loving cuddle bugs as needed - just want to be with you...
 
Here's BYB Bonnie at one of our favorite places- its a drive but go once every 2-3 weeks as it has so many useful distractions good for socialization and reinforcing self control, focus on owner, for CGCU, SD type stuff.

And she LOVES watching the duck pond, so practicing loose leash heel passing them resting in grass four feet off path, or in an extended "down, settle" at a dozen feet watching them feeding and gabbling at lake...

Reinforcing self control and "raising threshold..." is what I think is the idea...amiright? She loves it, and its good practice.

Its a multi-use trails County Park with a nice little quiet RV camp in the middle, nice trails and roads locates in between formerly ag, and semi rural horse property, with suburbs, schools nearby...
so we get to pass by elderly hikers, dog walkers, kids, the younger mtbikers and runners getting a workout in, and school kids commuting whizzing by on ebikes,

and at certain times of the day if we are lucky we can meet some horseback riders...on trail. (So envious, me🙃!)

Bonnies only been close to horses two times, and she is very interested in, hackled up but not barking...not interested in chasing, so very proud of her basic mannners so far...

my goal is to continue to habituate her in a positive way, to quietly calmly walk by (or politely pull off to side in a leashed sit or heel-stay) routinely enough that she takes that in stride too, as all the other stuff.

And a Couple off property roads we can sbeak in some off leash training too..."investigate" things on command...
IMG_2437.webp
I may need to dust off my bike and put it on the car bumper rack, now that I think of it...gotta get a harness etc. She could use a little more exercise than my feet can suffer getting our steps in...🧐
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2440.webp
    IMG_2440.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Ought to be interesting - not having to chop ice for water or climb boulders for exercise and eating kelp to survive...j/k 😉

And how you get your steps in with them in town vs on the island...

One thing I do like about these dobes is they DO have an off switch... happy to be couch loving cuddle bugs as needed - just want to be with you...
Going to be interesting is right! But it's also an opportunity to work on building on-leash skills, which was quite difficult on the island, and he's only had a bit here and there with trips in town. He had a big scare today with a semi truck barreling down the road at 45mph and Butters wasn't with us to help keep him centered, so he panicked...I'll need to keep him walking on LOW speed limit streets for a while...unless I want to end up in a ditch again...Oops 😆 culture shock is real
 
Going to be interesting is right! But it's also an opportunity to work on building on-leash skills, which was quite difficult on the island, and he's only had a bit here and there with trips in town. He had a big scare today with a semi truck barreling down the road at 45mph and Butters wasn't with us to help keep him centered, so he panicked...I'll need to keep him walking on LOW speed limit streets for a while...unless I want to end up in a ditch again...Oops 😆 culture shock is real
Yup! Much prefer off leash hiking.
Much more fun but a challenge to find safe and (cough cough) legit...

Here Bonnie is saying "hurry up old fat man!"
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2427.webp
    IMG_2427.webp
    483 KB · Views: 1
IMG_2644.webpIMG_2643.webp
We fulfilled our scientific mission looking for shoreline erosion or Kelvin High Tides...nope.

Big waves from Rachel, er...nope!

I dont put her at risk in the "bigger than what she can broach" waves and watch very carefully for rips. When the tide is in flood with clean incoming saltwater to fill the lagoon, I've been extending her range and nerve, further out, stronger current, add distractions nearby -see the teenagers snorkling...she pauses, thinks about it, and commits...

BYB Bonnie is still pretty social but only with the right dogs- this one was a sort of pushy but acceptable 2yr old dobe/chow rescue per owner.

And interesting odd wildlife spotted due warmer water?

A lone pelican fishing inside the break, unconcerned by swimmers or a little black sea lion looking dog retrieving her favorite high value tug reward training item - orange floaty kong on a rope. Usually you will see these guys dropping in as a group of a "boil" of bait fish at the surface. Coulda sworn I saw a sea lion working just outside the beach break the other day but may have been a snorkler looking for lobster. Rec season started Oct 2, commercial opneing Oct 7.



She's brave enough to swim past the breakers but smart and learned what she can broach vs hold back, wait to break and motorboat thru the washing machine...IMG_2662.webpIMG_2636.webp
 
Last edited:
IMG_2576.webpIMG_2568.webpIMG_2570.webpBonnie started off as my soldier sons dog, he decided he needed a truck dog after his tour end in the sand box...then he got a job/scholl up north so Bonnie became BWs dog...her Emotional Support Animal I joke- "and I'm just the handler..." so Bonnie gets lots of attention and dog buddy play time at the Happy Place.

But I think dobes remember important things a long time. My son is a surfer and she still looks for him outside the break...or maybe she spotted that sea lion...or is it a snorkler? Body surfer? She's got that sight hound eye for things, always has since a puppy.

People ask "wut kinda dog is theyt!" And I say its a labrador sea-lion pup cross in a dobe skin suit...

Ya, I am weird.
 

Back
Top