• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Questions about Thyroid / blood testing

EricA

Both of my girls have thyroid problems and are currently on medication (thyrotabs / levothyroxine) for it (and have been for a while). Both girls are already somewhat dialed in on their dosages their bodies need to be at the middle range of the normal level for their T4 (been on the same dosage for a year or more (depending on the dog) and still test right about middle of the normal range at their annual blood work / thyroid level testing.

Currently they each get their particular thyrotab pill at 7:30am and 7:30pm and their normal meal time is about 8:30pm. (meds supposed to be given on an empty stomach or at least 1 hour before a meal)

For the sake of convenience and cost am switching their annual blood testing to a different Vet closer to the house here and the new Vet wants to do the blood draw 4 hours after they have had their meds. (and like all the other Vets they want to do the draw on an empty tummy)

Why is that 4 hour thing? Have not had any other Vet ask me to do that as yet. In the past we would always hit the Vet for the blood work at the end of a work day (about 8 to 9 hours after their first dose of the day and on an empty tummy)

Is there a noticeable difference in the T4 numbers when comparing 4 hours after a dose and 8?

Once a dog gets dialed in on their correct dosage and has been there for a while - Does that tend to change as the dog gets older?

Mostly just curious and trying to get better educated here.

Appreciate any insight :)

I think the time frame is just before or 4-6hrs post when pill is given to check T4 levels. To show there is a good level and meds can be adjusted.

Some vets look at blood work and if it shows lower but still in the Normal Range, they may not prescribe meds. But I tell them NO it's a Doberman and they are different. And why wait until it drops below Normal?

Yes, over time levels may change.

Lots of information

A good book By Dr. Jean Dodds, DVM she is an expert in the Thyroid.
s-l400.jpg

Some vets look at blood work and if it shows lower but still in the Normal Range, they may not prescribe meds.
Yep, this was Ripley. We tested her for health clearances about 9 months ago and her TSH levels were high, OFA said to recheck in 3 months. Vet didn't want to put her on meds because she was "normal". Retested 3 months later, still high, T4s now low normal. We pushed to have her put on meds because she started to massively lose her coat, dull coat, low energy levels etc. On a low dose now. Immediate turn around! Her coat looks amazing again and energy levels returned.

Both of my girls have thyroid problems and are currently on medication (thyrotabs / levothyroxine) for it (and have been for a while). Both girls are already somewhat dialed in on their dosages their bodies need to be at the middle range of the normal level for their T4 (been on the same dosage for a year or more (depending on the dog) and still test right about middle of the normal range at their annual blood work / thyroid level testing.

Currently they each get their particular thyrotab pill at 7:30am and 7:30pm and their normal meal time is about 8:30pm. (meds supposed to be given on an empty stomach or at least 1 hour before a meal)

For the sake of convenience and cost am switching their annual blood testing to a different Vet closer to the house here and the new Vet wants to do the blood draw 4 hours after they have had their meds. (and like all the other Vets they want to do the draw on an empty tummy)

Why is that 4 hour thing? Have not had any other Vet ask me to do that as yet. In the past we would always hit the Vet for the blood work at the end of a work day (about 8 to 9 hours after their first dose of the day and on an empty tummy)

Is there a noticeable difference in the T4 numbers when comparing 4 hours after a dose and 8?

Once a dog gets dialed in on their correct dosage and has been there for a while - Does that tend to change as the dog gets older?

Mostly just curious and trying to get better educated here.

Appreciate any insight :)

I forgot to add lots of vets just test for T4. I always mention is to do a Full Thyroid Panel if they never had one done.

Yep, this was Ripley. We tested her for health clearances about 9 months ago and her TSH levels were high, OFA said to recheck in 3 months. Vet didn't want to put her on meds because she was "normal". Retested 3 months later, still high, T4s now low normal. We pushed to have her put on meds because she started to massively lose her coat, dull coat, low energy levels etc. On a low dose now. Immediate turn around! Her coat looks amazing again and energy levels returned.

Luckly our Integrative Vet agreed with me on being at the Low end of Normal Range. We tried boosting levels up to mid-range with supplements. But it didn't work so we went to low dose of meds.

Normal Ranges are for all breeds. But a Dobe is different.

Luckly our Integrative Vet agreed with me on being at the Low end of Normal Range. We tried boosting levels up to mid-range with supplements. But it didn't work so we went to low dose of meds.

Normal Ranges are for all breeds. But a Dobe is different.

That was exactly the problem with Dystopia. Was having her tested twice per year because I suspected something was not right with her but she would just ever so barely make the very bottom of the 'normal' range.

Finally raised a stink about about it and insisted on more testing (a full thyroid panel) which she failed so they finally started her on the meds. Told the Vet (before the full panel was done) that her lethargy was NOT 'normal' for a Doberman, that her weight gain (even after I had reduced her calories) was NOT 'normal' for a Doberman, etc.

Very much appreciate your time and advice here and thank you for the links to help me learn more. :)

Went first thing this morning and had their blood drawn for the thyroid testing. :)

Had to get up at 5AM to give them their meds. :(

I got there about 15 minutes before they opened and that place already had a line forming outside. We waited in the truck until they actually opened and the place was pretty well packed by the time we finally went inside!

A few medium size dogs, a handful of tiny dogs, a few cats - All of the seats in the lobby taken already.

I did get a kick out of some of the other peoples faces when we came in. (especially the lady holding her chihuahua) :)

Was pretty much an 'Oh, crap' look from everyone at first except the employees and the guy with his cat in a carrier box. Girls did GREAT. Once we found a place to stand and I gave the girls a SIT and STAY command and those butts instantly hit the ground the other customers seemed to calm down. Was not a single dog in the place even thinking about starting anything or behaving in an unfriendly way towards any other dogs, cats or people there. (this is always good) :)

12Qo5DD.jpg

I took all of their records for the last few years worth of Vet visits / thyroid history / medication history. (fairly 'new to us' Vet so need to make sure they know all of this stuff) Nice Vet lady 'tried' to give me the spay surgery speech and I think she was surprised when I right away let her know that unless their was some sort of medical necessity for that sort of surgery that it was not going to be happening. She almost immediately mentioned the health 'risks' for leaving them intact but dropped it like a hot potato once I brought up that there can be health risks associated with having the surgery done. :)

Will find out in a few days what their numbers are but I am going to take a wild guess here that both fall in the 'happy thyroid' range based on how their bodies and behavior / activity levels have been here lately. Their last cycle here was darn near in perfect sync with each other. That did not happen before when one or the other was off (from where she should be) on her thyroid numbers.

There was some good news with respect to the weight on my fat girl. She dropped a 1/2 lb! :)
Dystopia (fat girl) went from 94.5lbs last time we checked her to 94lbs even. Woo Hoo! :)

Vet lady didn't really mention the weight on Dystopia as it was not much different from the last time we were there but she did mention Patience and let me know that she clocked in at 92lbs. Said that she had them check it again after she saw the difference from her prior visit here and then checked it (for herself - did not have a helper do it) the third time once I told her that did not sound right. Patience has been a steady and regular weight of right around 84ish lbs for a good while. I am not 'seeing' an extra 8lbs of dog anywhere on her body. If that scale is correct she must have lost fat and replaced it with muscle cause 8lbs of fat would be hard to NOT see.

xNoLXs4.jpg

Will recheck both of them monday at a different place with a different scale. No way Patience is that big with what her calorie volume has been.

My Luke who is 8.5 years old just diagnosed with thyroid.. the vet said it is common for dobies to have thyroid problems.. Luke has a few fatty tumors growing in various places.. she said if his thyroid is off balance the fatty tumors could be happening along with his slight weight gain.. thyroid is all new to me..never had one with this issue.. will pick up his meds tomorrow.. .. i am glad we had him tested.. he will start on a low dose and be tested again in a few weeks.. any info about this is much appreciated.. DSC_3511 (2).JPG

Not for sure about thyroid issues, sorry.

Just had to post to say what a handsome Doberman he is.

thank you for all the replies.. here is an update on Luke.. now on meds... ears standing and playing like a puppy... age almost 9 in march... DSC_1600.JPG

Back