• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Question about a rather gross habit

StarlightDobe

Hot Topics Subscriber
The situation is somewhat common, I guess, I have a dog with a rather gross habit, she is a poop eater. We have tried the "dis-taste" product from Drs. Foster & Smith, but it hasnt worked, she gets the high end of the dose and still wants to snack on her recycled food. I don't really know the reasons for this, is it lack of something in her food? She east the same food as my other dobe and she doesnt have the same habit. What steps do I take to stop this habit, I watch her when she goes outside, and stop the behaviour as soon as it starts, but there are times when I am not right there and she does manage to consume the whole pile. Will this hurt her? or make her sick? I thought perhaps she would outgrow it but she doesnt seem inclined to stop so I am going to bring it up with my vet next time we see her, but I wanted to get some feedback here since she isnt due to see her vet til early next month for her nail trim.

Don't feel bad and you're far from alone since it's a very common problem many people face - especially with pups or young dogs. Both Boris and Della did it and you're right, it is about the grossest thing in the world and you can't really holler at them or they'll associate pooping with being a bad thing. About the best you can do is to immediately distract her and pick the poop up right away. I also tried the Dis-taste and the F & S brand, which didn't work, but I tried the 8-in-1 brand and that one did the trick with Boris. Della just outgrew it on her own when she was about a year old, but I know of a few dogs who get the habit so bad they have it for life if something isn't done.

Some think it is something missing in their diet, but it isn't usually the case it's just a condition called Coprophagy which is sort of one of those compulsive disorders that some can get.
Here's a bit more info on it.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1551&aid=155

I feel your disgust..lol...BUT I found when Axl was doing it..mind u he would only eat Stella's not his..it was something in his diet..and I was able to stop him..It did take a long time and he became sneaky about it because he knew I was watching him. I did use certain words and he became familiar with them and finally with some tweaking of his diet he stopped. NOW my Stella is eating her own..she is 4 years old and never never ate any poop. Since I changed her diet to grain free, she has started all his habits..eating grass, some sticks, etc...and now the last month or so I've caught her trying to eat hers right after she goes...YUCK! She also knows the words I use about 'not touching the poop'..but she tries to be sneaky too. Now I've been trying to get her to loose some weight and was feeding her less, and thats when I noticed this behaviour..She has lost the weight..it wasnt to be much anyway..so I have started upping her amounts again and already have noticed her interest is less.

I believe its is either a disgestive thing to whatever else they are eating..like either something missing in their diet or in need of something to soothe their gut..or they are just hungry...the other is if its just one dog eating the others in a 2 dog household it can sometimes be a dominant thing. I always think of how a young colt/filly will always eat the mares poop until they can start eating grasses on their own.

Just my own thoughts..:)

It can be the food you are feeding her. Some dog foods tend not to digest well, and bascially come out almost as intact as it was going in. There for making it seem edible again. Try a change of diet.

You might want to also try feeding your dog broccoli, cabbage or brussels sprouts.

These veggies are supposed to turn your dog off from eating their poop.

Purchase a can of 100% pumpkin, make sure it is 100% pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling, pumpkin pie filling will not work. Feed your dog one teaspoon of the pumpkin, once a day, for three days and you should quickly see the desire go away.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think we will start with the pumpkin, as it seems the easiest, and see what happens there, of course the vet visit to make sure there is no other problems going on as well, and hopefully cure her of this nasty habit. I love my doggy kisses but no way she is kissing me until she gets over this habit!!

If you don't mind me asking, what food do you have her on? Also we tried the pineapple thing with our schnauzer (getting poo out of a beard is just gross) and it worked after 5 days he was done and to this day four years later he does not eat his poo!

If you don't mind me asking, what food do you have her on? Also we tried the pineapple thing with our schnauzer (getting poo out of a beard is just gross) and it worked after 5 days he was done and to this day four years later he does not eat his poo!
She is on Wellness Super 5 adult large breed, both our dogs eat it. Her stools look normal, and she has a great appetite, she just likes to supplement it with this very gross choice. She never bothers Nexus's, just her own.

How much of the pineapple would we give her, and how often? in case she isnt fond of the pumpkin, we could try the pineapple or the vegetables.

I was giving our miniature schnauzer one piece of the pre cut chunks from the deli at each meal. It made his stool a bit softer but he wouldn't touch it by the third day. I also (in the time that I was giving it) watched his every move and didn't give him a chance to eat it. He is 18 lbs if that helps. I found that sometimes the veggies make it more palatable and the pumpkin usually doesn't do anything, but the dogs like it.

I heard that pumpkin would firm up trhe stool if it is runny...now it might cause them to eat it?

Cya

Schaudeh did that when she was very young but grew out of it.
Somebody once told me they think they are helping you clean it up
????????? I really don't know if I believe that one.:whistle::shakinghead:

Schaudeh did that when she was very young but grew out of it.
Somebody once told me they think they are helping you clean it up
????????? I really don't know if I believe that one.:whistle::shakinghead:

No thanks on the clean up...I'll get er done for ya!!!

Cya

Back