• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Puppy weight. Healthy?

Ok, so that's a quarter pound. You must have bought the little ones. They have all different sizes, but bigger will be cheaper. The biggest size portion I ever bought was a 2 lb piece and it was shaped like a brick - I bet it would even break a window 😆
Lol!
Omg, yes this is so convenient and makes me happy knowing he is getting the right nutrients. Unfortunately I couldn’t find the bigger ones. The only ones my store carried were the 4 oz ones. I’ll have to check a few places!
For now.. if I’m only feeding raw (and not adding any homemade food), should I do 4-5 patties? Or more? Seems like he will still be hungry only feeding 4 of those patties. But I don’t want to over feed either.

if I’m only feeding raw (and not adding any homemade food), should I do 4-5 patties?
At 40 lbs, 4-5 patties would be right according to this calculator:

I feed this brand and Kaiser is eating like a 100 lb dog at a normal energy level. He's barely 80 lbs but very high energy, so maybe that balances out 🙃 As a puppy, you can still split his meals into 3 portions. I do find that feeding a whole 2 lbs at once makes his stomach bulge out a bit, so watch out for that - I'd prefer not to overload the stomach. And make sure he rests before and after eating to prevent bloat.

At 40 lbs, 4-5 patties would be right according to this calculator:

I feed this brand and Kaiser is eating like a 100 lb dog at a normal energy level. He's barely 80 lbs but very high energy, so maybe that balances out 🙃 As a puppy, you can still split his meals into 3 portions. I do find that feeding a whole 2 lbs at once makes his stomach bulge out a bit, so watch out for that - I'd prefer not to overload the stomach. And make sure he rests before and after eating to prevent bloat.
Perfect, thanks for all the information! I will continue to feed him 3x a day and stick with 4-5 patties. You have been so helpful!!

Ugh...so first full day of feeding Jax raw and the first feeding went well. He ate 1 1/2 patties this morning. However, when attempting his other feedings he smelled the patty and walked away..? I also noticed he pooped about 4-5 times today - they all were solid (darker in color however). He usually only poops once or twice a day on his homemade food.
Any reason why he doesn't seem to want the patties now? Is he just being stubborn? Does the more poop have anything to do with going raw and it effecting his stomach?

Thanks in advance!

UGH....nothing worse than trying to "figure" these things our with a young one....I am not familiar with feeding all raw, but I am certain you will get some response. I also use Kiefer (in the dairy section for people, dogs can have a teaspoon too!). Or Plain yogurt...a dollap for the food...may help with his sniffing it.

Ugh...so first full day of feeding Jax raw and the first feeding went well. He ate 1 1/2 patties this morning. However, when attempting his other feedings he smelled the patty and walked away..? I also noticed he pooped about 4-5 times today - they all were solid (darker in color however). He usually only poops once or twice a day on his homemade food.
Any reason why he doesn't seem to want the patties now? Is he just being stubborn? Does the more poop have anything to do with going raw and it effecting his stomach?

Thanks in advance!
If he doesn't eat his food within 15 minutes, put it away for the next meal time. It may be that he's just full. Kaiser will always eat even if he's not hungry, sometimes he'll even burp but continue eating like his life depends on it. I guess they are all individuals that way lol. Let's see how his pooping stabilizes over the next few days.

UGH....nothing worse than trying to "figure" these things our with a young one....I am not familiar with feeding all raw, but I am certain you will get some response. I also use Kiefer (in the dairy section for people, dogs can have a teaspoon too!). Or Plain yogurt...a dollap for the food...may help with his sniffing it.
Thanks! I was adding a spoonful of yogurt on his homemade food so maybe I'll do that on his raw to get him more used to it.
I never thought it would be such a struggle to get him to eat!

If he doesn't eat his food within 15 minutes, put it away for the next meal time. It may be that he's just full. Kaiser will always eat even if he's not hungry, sometimes he'll even burp but continue eating like his life depends on it. I guess they are all individuals that way lol. Let's see how his pooping stabilizes over the next few days.
He ate fine at his 8 am feeding. Then at 1 pm when I tried to feed him, he just sniffed it and walked away. I picked it up after 20 mins and he didn't seem to mind or go looking for it. I offered again at 5 pm and he did the same thing!
Hoping nothing serious is going on and he is just being stubborn and seeing if I'll give him something else (which I didn't).

Do you recommend I keep picking up each feeding after 15 mins if he doesn't touch it?
I'm just worried he will go the whole day without food and not even seem to mind.

Do you recommend I keep picking up each feeding after 15 mins if he doesn't touch it?
I'm just worried he will go the whole day without food and not even seem to mind.
They won't starve themselves, so I'd say keep it going as long as he is acting normal otherwise. It's possible the new food has filled him with less food than they recommended.

They won't starve themselves, so I'd say keep it going as long as he is acting normal otherwise. It's possible the new food has filled him with less food than they recommended.
Thanks, he was acting completely normal today and seemed to have the same amount of puppy energy.. so I will keep it going!

I never thought it would be such a struggle to get him to eat!
It is kinda bizarre if you ask me. I'd try what @Kaiser2016 said about picking up whatever he leaves after 15 min. for a few days to see what happens. I understand your concern, because it really isn't normal behavior, especially for a puppy of that age. Keep us posted, I'm curious how this pans out.

Hey Everyone!

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! :)

Just an update...
Vet did a full blood panel on him, checked his stool and urine.. everything came back great! Except he did have a UTI which he is on antibiotics for.

Wondering if the UTI had something to do with him not wanting to eat..
He seems to have a much better appetite now.

I've been trying raw still and he just doesn't seem to interested in it.
I noticed he's very sensitive when it comes to cold food (or just picky LOL).

He only ate the homemade food if it was room temp or heated up.

I started Ziwi peak dehydrated raw about a week ago and he LOVES it. It is really expensive but I think I actually found a food he will eat and love.. I think he thinks they are treats.

Anyone have any input with Ziwi Peak? Is it a good food? Can I just feed him that for his meals?
I definitely don't mind paying the money if it's a good food and he will continue to eat it.

Thank you!

Glad for the good report....of course he loves it....costs you a fortune! ;). My husband shakes his head everytime we get a delivery...it's always dog food, or dog supplements. He has no idea what I spend on this stuff, but is not amused.....always tells me when "he was a kid" you could just give your dog a whole chicken and they were fine. He just does not understand....

40 lbs. at 4 mo. is not underweight. It's more than most Dobes weigh at that age, it seems to me. He must have good height.

He looks great! Most likely, his chest and ribcage will widen just a little bit later on, but they are already fine. Your boy is wider than my male. Mine is very narrow in the chest and always will be.

But yes, Dobes – especially males – take a long time to fill out. Some are not all done until 4 yrs.! This is amazing to me, as my Dobes have lived until age 8, so they haven't been fully mature physically for half their life.

Generally, feeding more doesn't do anything to ensure a dog will be a larger dog.
Thanks! I definitely need to read this thread. I've been wondering the same thing as well if I'm feeding my boy enough. He's 4 months and always hungry even though I'm feeding the recommended amount of food from the Purina Proplan chart plus snacks. He definitely looks gangly lol which was why I was concerned. He had Bamby legs for a little bit but getting stronger every day.

I think he looks beautiful.... and your feeding plan is very good.. maybe add sardines once in awhile.. but your doing great

Hi. I know your concern. My Uzi looks identical to your fur baby. Uzi at 4 months old was eating 3 cups of Purina Puppy Chow, until he developed a sensitive stomach at 5 months old and he always had a good appitite. His stool became loose and we tried adding rice, cooking with chicken (which left him with big flaky dandruff) and vomiting once in a while. We finally had to put him on a prescription dog food suggested by our very knowledgeable Vet. Uzi is four years old now and looks identical to your fur baby at his age. He still has a lean body and ribs show according to how he stands (ya know how they lean on us standing up and it shows his ribs in the way of wavy hair on the side of his rib cage.) I think your baby is just picky. How is his stool? That was what steered us to his digestive problems. He can only tolerate Royal Canin wet and dry food and Ultimate Freeze dired beef liver treats. Also he MUST HAVE A WATER ADDITIVE or his skin will still flake up terribly--BIG FLAKES but no broken skin. Now that we have the formula for what works, everyone thinks Uzi is a show dog. He is really, really beautiful! And he only had people food when we experimented in his early years. Good luck.

Back