BamMoMoMommy
$ Forum Donor $
Anybody got input on over stimulation for these guys?
We did a trip to the dog park...and it was disastrous.
I knew it wasn't gonna be a "day in the park"(ha ha)....we did it for observation.....went over there with the specific intent of visually noting Bam's behavior.
He was out of control as soon as we hit the gates....my gut said turn around and go home..my brain said...nope....stick to it.
By the time we got inside Bam was lunging, not AT anything.... just lunging. This is NOT normal behavior....it is something that started when everything went off the rails a few weeks ago.
Then the barking started.....and he was lost to me, the treats in my hand. I managed to get him semi settled, focus back on me, got him in heel position, walked about three steps..gave him the sit command..he sat..he got his treat. Few more minutes like this.....he's still antsie and dancing but his focus is on me and the treat.
Swapped him over to the 35 ft lead....and I have a lovely cotton rope burn in the palm of my hand he shot out away from me so fast. He's not a big guy.....73 lbs...but he is 73 lbs of SOLID muscle...he was gone and the tug-o-war was on.
NO amount of commands or treats could get his attention.
I gathered the lead started dragging him back to me.......once I got him to me...I had to pick up and force him to a hind leg stance to keep him from charging out again. I walked him to a corner of the fence and backed him into the corner so he was more or less pinned in. (He's not aggressive, he's never been aggressive and there was no aggression in his action today.)
I backed him into the corner to point he had no choice but to sit and focus on me. He was looking at me...but he was oblivious to the fact I was right there in his face, treat in hand, speaking to him, giving him the "easy boy" command....something that does work when he isn't in this state. "Easy boy" means what it says...calm down, it'll all good, you are okay. He was just getting more and more agitated trying to break around me...I had his front paws off the ground so he couldn't get his 4X4 traction going...I was so focused on him...I was oblivious to what was going on around us......I knew my husband and Mo were on the other end of the park (Bam couldn't see them) so I knew someone was watching my back...what neither one of saw was the woman marching toward the fence beside me with three small barking dogs....Bam and I heard the dogs at the same time...reaction from both of us...was to turn and look..and that was it..Bam was gone from me like a rocket sled on a rail...as this woman yelled at me about bringing an untrained attack dog to a dog park for families.
I couldn't be angry with her...she saw what she saw. She didn't know the circumstances...at that point in time Bam looked scary as hell as scary as hell can get......to an observer. He wasn't snapping, he wasn't growling..he wasn't bearing teeth...but she didn't know that...she saw a doberman "barking, yodeling ( yes he's a yodeler when he gets excited) and what looked like lunging out of control"...he wasn't lunging..he was on his hind legs trying to get his 4x4 traction back.
Frankly THAT, what she witnessed.... bothers me more than her saying anything.
Anyway....Husband stepped on the lead and got Bam slowed down...he was looping the dog park like it was a round pen.....as fast as he could go....we loaded them up and by the time we got home...Bam was calm. It's at most with heavy traffic a five minute drive from my drive to the park gate...so in a matter of a few minutes...he was calmed down but panting like he'd just run a 5k at full speed. He got home got his "the park was a sloppy wet mess" bath...did fine..stood still, didn't make a sound...came in the house...and he's sound asleep on his bed.
Me.. til I sat down here.....I am pacing...leaving messages for the trainer and trying to figure out how my boy got broke.
And honestly...
I get it if some are reading this thinking
"Dogs just don't come untrained!!
Believe me...I get it!!
I was of the same mind...until I found myself where I am with Bam.
I know something is going on.....but is it me, environmental, organic?
(That's rhetorical.....but......ideas, suggestions welcome!)
We did a trip to the dog park...and it was disastrous.
I knew it wasn't gonna be a "day in the park"(ha ha)....we did it for observation.....went over there with the specific intent of visually noting Bam's behavior.
He was out of control as soon as we hit the gates....my gut said turn around and go home..my brain said...nope....stick to it.
By the time we got inside Bam was lunging, not AT anything.... just lunging. This is NOT normal behavior....it is something that started when everything went off the rails a few weeks ago.
Then the barking started.....and he was lost to me, the treats in my hand. I managed to get him semi settled, focus back on me, got him in heel position, walked about three steps..gave him the sit command..he sat..he got his treat. Few more minutes like this.....he's still antsie and dancing but his focus is on me and the treat.
Swapped him over to the 35 ft lead....and I have a lovely cotton rope burn in the palm of my hand he shot out away from me so fast. He's not a big guy.....73 lbs...but he is 73 lbs of SOLID muscle...he was gone and the tug-o-war was on.
NO amount of commands or treats could get his attention.
I gathered the lead started dragging him back to me.......once I got him to me...I had to pick up and force him to a hind leg stance to keep him from charging out again. I walked him to a corner of the fence and backed him into the corner so he was more or less pinned in. (He's not aggressive, he's never been aggressive and there was no aggression in his action today.)
I backed him into the corner to point he had no choice but to sit and focus on me. He was looking at me...but he was oblivious to the fact I was right there in his face, treat in hand, speaking to him, giving him the "easy boy" command....something that does work when he isn't in this state. "Easy boy" means what it says...calm down, it'll all good, you are okay. He was just getting more and more agitated trying to break around me...I had his front paws off the ground so he couldn't get his 4X4 traction going...I was so focused on him...I was oblivious to what was going on around us......I knew my husband and Mo were on the other end of the park (Bam couldn't see them) so I knew someone was watching my back...what neither one of saw was the woman marching toward the fence beside me with three small barking dogs....Bam and I heard the dogs at the same time...reaction from both of us...was to turn and look..and that was it..Bam was gone from me like a rocket sled on a rail...as this woman yelled at me about bringing an untrained attack dog to a dog park for families.
I couldn't be angry with her...she saw what she saw. She didn't know the circumstances...at that point in time Bam looked scary as hell as scary as hell can get......to an observer. He wasn't snapping, he wasn't growling..he wasn't bearing teeth...but she didn't know that...she saw a doberman "barking, yodeling ( yes he's a yodeler when he gets excited) and what looked like lunging out of control"...he wasn't lunging..he was on his hind legs trying to get his 4x4 traction back.
Frankly THAT, what she witnessed.... bothers me more than her saying anything.
Anyway....Husband stepped on the lead and got Bam slowed down...he was looping the dog park like it was a round pen.....as fast as he could go....we loaded them up and by the time we got home...Bam was calm. It's at most with heavy traffic a five minute drive from my drive to the park gate...so in a matter of a few minutes...he was calmed down but panting like he'd just run a 5k at full speed. He got home got his "the park was a sloppy wet mess" bath...did fine..stood still, didn't make a sound...came in the house...and he's sound asleep on his bed.
Me.. til I sat down here.....I am pacing...leaving messages for the trainer and trying to figure out how my boy got broke.
And honestly...
I get it if some are reading this thinking
"Dogs just don't come untrained!!
Believe me...I get it!!
I was of the same mind...until I found myself where I am with Bam.
I know something is going on.....but is it me, environmental, organic?
(That's rhetorical.....but......ideas, suggestions welcome!)
I'm at a loss really, there doesn't seem to be an obvious trigger for the attitude change and he should be way past the testing the boundaries age. 
and not very intimidating ( other than the still red hair thanks to Miss Clairol) so I have to work a little harder to get my bluff in on the boys than he does at 6 ft and built like a brick wall half Cajun/half Bubba he is.