our new 9 week Dobie Puppy Fred

Dobiemumof2

Hi, We currently have a 7 month old Dobie Called Frank, he came from a breeder who only had one litter, he was loved and they were very sad when they let him go, i still send her videos and pictures now. He came to us knowing what a crate was and knew how to sit and do a wee wee. SO came along Fred, who by the way is only 9 weeks old. This is a different story (they always say you never get 2 kids the same! :) - He didn't know what a crate was which I understood as he had about 7/8 siblings whom he shared a large cage with, he pees where wants and poos also, he will start a poo outside and finish it indoors! - now that i can handle, my biggest problem is the sleep deprivation my husband and myself are currently going through! its like giving birth again yet I have no stitches or a pram!...:) In the evening, they lay around sleeping then at around 10pm we play with both Dobie's to tire them out...we put them in the crates at around 11pm, frank just goes in normally (the 7 month old) and the puppy 9 week one needs me to lay down with him or he will cry - the reason i do this as if he cries i think he will pee and poo his bed. We don't want the puppy in our room, so we want them sleeping in the utility. (by the way we also have an 8 year old French bulldog, but he doesn't interfere much, he's pretty damm lazy!

So the question I'm asking is what i am doing wrong???

Thanks x

Welcome from SE Alabama.

Getting a pup as young as Fred can be trying at times. Although he has house mates, he's probably used to cuddling up with his littermates at night.
Unfortunately, laying down with him is making the problem even worse. Think of him along the lines of a toddler. If they nap in the evening, they're not going to want to sleep at night. If he's fussing and you lay down with him, he's going to want THAT all the time. He is training you!!!

After a good play session or run mid morning or mid day, try putting him in his crate then. If he fusses, put a blanket over the crate and use something like "settle" or "settle down". Don't give in, he needs to learn to settle down when he's put in the crate. When it's time for him to come out, take him directly outside. Reward any potties.

Avoid using the crate if he goes potty in the house. It's suppose to be a safe place, not a punishment.

Welcome from SE Alabama.

Getting a pup as young as Fred can be trying at times. Although he has house mates, he's probably used to cuddling up with his littermates at night.
Unfortunately, laying down with him is making the problem even worse. Think of him along the lines of a toddler. If they nap in the evening, they're not going to want to sleep at night. If he's fussing and you lay down with him, he's going to want THAT all the time. He is training you!!!

After a good play session or run mid morning or mid day, try putting him in his crate then. If he fusses, put a blanket over the crate and use something like "settle" or "settle down". Don't give in, he needs to learn to settle down when he's put in the crate. When it's time for him to come out, take him directly outside. Reward any potties.

Avoid using the crate if he goes potty in the house. It's suppose to be a safe place, not a punishment.
Thanks for replying, funny i knew what i was doing is wrong but im worried that he will mess the crate when i leave him to cry or do i just chance it, then if he does keep leaving it, and then at some point he will get fed up of messing in the crate?

What I would personally do.... when he gets to the point of "over the top" with the fussing, leash him and take him outside, then right back in the crate and cover him. Night time is night time period. You could try to bump or thump the crate "HEY, SETTLE DOG". One of the things you need to be consistent with.

A little off topic:
I don't know why breeders don't at least start crate training. My last litter, when they were 7 wks old, all 8 of them got their own crate. That way by the time I got their ears cropped (I know you don't over there) they were used to sleeping alone. Then 2 wks for their ears to heal up and get ready for their new homes. It just makes for an easier transition into their new homes.

What I would personally do.... when he gets to the point of "over the top" with the fussing, leash him and take him outside, then right back in the crate and cover him. Night time is night time period. You could try to bump or thump the crate "HEY, SETTLE DOG". One of the things you need to be consistent with.

A little off topic:
I don't know why breeders don't at least start crate training. My last litter, when they were 7 wks old, all 8 of them got their own crate. That way by the time I got their ears cropped (I know you don't over there) they were used to sleeping alone. Then 2 wks for their ears to heal up and get ready for their new homes. It just makes for an easier transition into their new homes.
tonight is the night! im going to be a firm mummy! thanks for the advise , and yes thats great as a breeder you do that, out first one did also...im sure little fred will get there (she says ) x

Yep its hard when they are so young and screaming at the top of their lungs but if you are consistent it usually takes a couple of nights and then no more!! Make sure the crate is just big enough for him to stand and turn around. If theres too much room, he will soil on one side and lay on the other.

Beautiful pups!

Hi
What we’ve always done with young pups to settle them down last thing at night is to conceal a hot water (or gell) bottle in the crate. The warmth seems to be a real comforter. It’s got to be well concealed & they mustn’t see you put it in either;)
Good advice to cover the crate too so it’s like a cave.
In addition to the crate you could add to it 3 sections of dog pen to make an overnight toilet area with newspaper on the floor. So pup goes into crate with door shut, when it’s snug and asleep open the crate door so it has access to the pen area to pee or poo in the night. If given a choice they won’t foul where they sleep. Worked for us.

Attachments

• 62B41E17-E084-4D69-A259-8883FC9E1E79.jpeg
    62B41E17-E084-4D69-A259-8883FC9E1E79.jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 7

Back