• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

New with question

mc2.see

I lost my blue dobie last year. I adopted him from a rescue with an unclear background. The only thing we knew for sure was that he was a purebred dobie with too short of ears and bad skin. While I couldn't change his ears, a good diet and coat regimen helped his skin. We had an amazing life together, eight years of love. He was my friend and family pet. He was perfect for my sons, with his playful energy and goofy "please drop the food, little human," begging.

I still miss him.

My boyfriend and I have decided it is time for another dog. It's been a little over a year, and the house feels empty. But my boyfriend put a stipulation on our future dobie: has to be a fawn. This is because he has always had weimeys, and prefers the silver coat, but loved the temperament and intelligence of my dobie.

I know.

I told him both the fawns and blues are harder to come by from reputable breeders because they aren't the desired coats overall. I explained the difficulties I had with my blue concerning his coat, and that a fawn would most likely be similar. I was fortunate my blue didn't have health issues beyond a flaky coat, especially considering he came from a rescue with little knowledge of his history.

So, I am asking, where do I find a fawn dobie from a healthy, kind breeder or rescue? *NOT* white... Fawn... I'd like to find one who offers the same services as most: vaccinations, ears done, worming. I am willing to reimburse for spay/neuter if breeder wants to ensure future dobie won't used for breeding. Just a pet for a family.

Welcome from Ohio!

I think you sort of summed it up here: "I know." But...

...I'll try not to editorialize about wanting a mutation color.

I would think a Blue would come closer to the silvery coat of a Weimaranner. Fawns can be sort of tannish.

You are in for a challenge finding a reputable breeder. Any that I have been made aware of that tout having Fawns and Blues are not very good breeders. I'm sure there are some out there somewhere.

Not sure I can offer any help, but I did want to say welcome!

Welcome from Ohio!

I think you sort of summed it up here: "I know." But...

...I'll try not to editorialize about wanting a mutation color.

I would think a Blue would come closer to the silvery coat of a Weimaranner. Fawns can be sort of tannish.

You are in for a challenge finding a reputable breeder. Any that I have been made aware of that tout having Fawns and Blues are not very good breeders. I'm sure there are some out there somewhere.

Not sure I can offer any help, but I did want to say welcome!

Thank you!

I did hesitate posting. I've been watching this site for awhile, joined earlier this week, and couldn't decide whether to post my question or not. I was afraid of retaliation for intentionally seeking out a genetic anomaly.

I am hoping somewhere out there, someone has a crop-out litter with one unexpected, random fawn. Needle in a hay stack!

The whole fawn thing came about because I was looking at puppies on Pinterest. No reason other than, why not spend a work day playing on Pinterest?? :) My boyfriend saw the pics, commented on how the fawns were lighter than my blue was, asked about it, then decided that's what he wanted. We have been talking about getting a dog for months, but kept going back n forth between another dobie or another weimey. This is the compromise.

While Blues and Fawns are approved standard colors, I imagine breeders typically avoid them because their coats are not as nice, true. I believe most reputable breeders can guesstimate what the litter colors will be based on the parents color genotype so avoid them. As @OhLittleOji stated, they should not tout dilutes but titles and health testing. I do see a lot of Fawns and Blues at the rescues I follow so maybe another route, like you said, and they always have so much love to give.

Check to see if there is Doberman-specific rescue in your area. You might get lucky!

There is. However, they don't seem to be active. I used to be in charge of arranging our local pet events with rescues and shelters. Each fall, the rescues and shelters we're welcome to bring their adoptees to our locations. Each spring, the same places set up fundraisers, such as microchipping, doggie baths, etc. Each event, I reached out to our doberman rescue only to be completely ignored. Not even a courtesy "we're not interested." The sites who did attend our events said they weren't even aware we had a doberman rescue, which leads me to believe it was a single person who may have bitten off more than they could chew.

Thank you!

I did hesitate posting. I've been watching this site for awhile, joined earlier this week, and couldn't decide whether to post my question or not. I was afraid of retaliation for intentionally seeking out a genetic anomaly.

I am hoping somewhere out there, someone has a crop-out litter with one unexpected, random fawn. Needle in a hay stack!

The whole fawn thing came about because I was looking at puppies on Pinterest. No reason other than, why not spend a work day playing on Pinterest?? :) My boyfriend saw the pics, commented on how the fawns were lighter than my blue was, asked about it, then decided that's what he wanted. We have been talking about getting a dog for months, but kept going back n forth between another dobie or another weimey. This is the compromise.
I'm sure you can tell we tend to be the friendly Dobe forum here. A lot of us have strong opinions about the breed, but it really is amazing how civil and kind things remain. I think it starts at the top with what a good person Jan is. Well, and I know the guy who originated the forum was tired of being shunned and judged by snooty Doberman people so he started his own forum here.

I'm sure you can tell we tend to be the friendly Dobe forum here. A lot of us have strong opinions about the breed, but it really is amazing how civil and kind things remain. I think it starts at the top with what a good person Jan is. Well, and I know the guy who originated the forum was tired of being shunned and judged by snooty Doberman people so he started his own forum here.

Definitely! I suppose I was nervous because I have been in a horse community for years (I show hunter/jumpers). Sometimes, when a new person joins and immediately asks a question, the mean girls come out with claws ready. I'm not sure what makes people want to act like that. There's no need. So, asking about something that isn't exactly favourable is a little sensitive. I should make a meme that says "I just want a puppy to spoil!" Lol

There's nothing wrong with dilutes. They are an approved color after all. I had a beautiful fawn girl that was actually diagnosed with CDA. I did my research and experimented with ideas until she ended up with a nice full coat. Worst case scenario she'll be bald, nothing sunscreen and a coat in the winter won't take care of.
If you end up with a fawn girl there is more than one thread on here to give you tips.
Here she is at 9 1/2 years old. Just look at that pretty full coat.
Greta in grass 2 May 2015.jpg

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about people who boast about breeding. I found two 2wk old fawns listed. Contacted the breeder. She said they came with health certificates and three year genetic testing guarantee (I have a question about that later). $1500. Seemed right.

I explained to her that I live nowhere near her, therefore would like her website info to checkout the parents. She replied no, no website, no need. Then told me she would send pics of the pups for a deposit.

So, I googled her. She is a member on a few dog sites, boasting that she breeds white dobermans. Kept searching... She was on Judge Judy, being sued by a client who bought a parvo pup. In fairness, Judge Judy sided with the breeder over the client. However, I kept scrolling, and found out she lost her home and had to re-home 250 birds.

That's a buyer beware if I ever saw one!

I talked to the boyfriend this morning. Again, I explained to him that weimeraners are supposed to be that colour! As much as I want another doberman, I don't want an unhealthy one! I'm going to keep searching for a dog to make us both happy. But I think I have an uphill battle!

Genetics question: the lady I mention above offered a three-year genetic testing guarantee. Now, I'm definitely not a scientist lol, but, aside from cancers, shouldn't genetics remain constant?

And, for fun, a pic of my old baby...

FB_IMG_1510339125919.jpg FB_IMG_1510339095584.jpg

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about people who boast about breeding. I found two 2wk old fawns listed. Contacted the breeder. She said they came with health certificates and three year genetic testing guarantee (I have a question about that later). $1500. Seemed right.

I explained to her that I live nowhere near her, therefore would like her website info to checkout the parents. She replied no, no website, no need. Then told me she would send pics of the pups for a deposit.

So, I googled her. She is a member on a few dog sites, boasting that she breeds white dobermans. Kept searching... She was on Judge Judy, being sued by a client who bought a parvo pup. In fairness, Judge Judy sided with the breeder over the client. However, I kept scrolling, and found out she lost her home and had to re-home 250 birds.

That's a buyer beware if I ever saw one!

I talked to the boyfriend this morning. Again, I explained to him that weimeraners are supposed to be that colour! As much as I want another doberman, I don't want an unhealthy one! I'm going to keep searching for a dog to make us both happy. But I think I have an uphill battle!

Okay, what? Sheesh, that pretty much describes the low-life "breeder" that should get the frique right out of our breed. They breed for white? They demand a deposit in order to make available a few pictures over the internet? I wouldn't doubt if they said that so it would buy them some time to grab some pictures off the web to claim as their own.

:sonic: :machinegun:

Genetics question: the lady I mention above offered a three-year genetic testing guarantee. Now, I'm definitely not a scientist lol, but, aside from cancers, shouldn't genetics remain constant?

And, for fun, a pic of my old baby...

View attachment 77316 View attachment 77317
What a magnificent Dobe! Those nails look like weapons!

I wonder if this "breeder" meant that any test that comes up negative – if the dog developed that disease within 3 years they would (supposedly) do right by it. ? Doesn't totally make sense, but that's a guess.

What a magnificent Dobe! Those nails look like weapons!

I wonder if this "breeder" meant that any test that comes up negative – if the dog developed that disease within 3 years they would (supposedly) do right by it. ? Doesn't totally make sense, but that's a guess.

That makes sense, I suppose.

Yes! I was always afraid to do his nails myself. Our humane society offers nail trimming as part of their fundraisers 2-3xs a year. We always went to that! Aside from that, I would take him for runs twice a day, hoping the pavement was enough.

That makes sense, I suppose.

Yes! I was always afraid to do his nails myself. Our humane society offers nail trimming as part of their fundraisers 2-3xs a year. We always went to that! Aside from that, I would take him for runs twice a day, hoping the pavement was enough.
One of the best investments we’ve made is buying a dremel. With 2 dogs and hardwood floors it paid itself off in 3 months.

The most important thing is to find a breeder that you like and can have a great relationship with. I have many breeder friends and they do not normally breed to throw all for colors. They are usually looking for a certain combination and hoping to produce there next champion. Since both parents must carry all four colors, it doesn’t happen to often. And they might not even produce all four colors in there litter. I say find a good breeder, pick male or female 1st and then see what puppies are available. Waiting for a fawn to get produced could take years. I know @Genny waited a long time just trying to get the red male she wanted and still ended up getting a black male instead

Back