New title - UKC CH !

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
We went to Bluffton, IN to do 4 shows this weekend! Left Friday night to get settled in beforehand and check in to our hotel. Ripley made herself right at home...

1619626155055.png
Going in Ripley only needed 10 more points and one more competition win.

On Saturday, Ripley and Derek won Best Female (against competition), Best of Breed and Group 4 under judge Diana Brumbaugh and finished her UKC Championship title (pending UKC)! Judge Diana pulled Derek aside and said she was really nice and she loved her. Derek and I both knew why she didn't place higher as Ripley was pacing a few times and Derek couldn't pull her out of it. Which she must be going through another growth spurt because she hasn't EVER paced the past 8 weeks in class. She paced one week at our first practice and then never again so everyone said it was due to growing, they all go through it. I told Derek to try gaiting and not looking down at Ripley, let her have some lead and flash the bait at her as she tends to pace when she feels that pressure.

1619626574818.png

It worked because Show 2 they went out there improved and Ripley won Best Female (competition), Breed, and Group ONE under judge Nancy Gallant!

1619626776990.png
Group 1

He will be changing his shoes and pants come Premier and AKC :wacky:. He discovered he must have grown...(kidding) and his dress shoes he brought would make it look even more like he had high waders on LOL. Curses of a tall person. Half of the people in UKC don't even dress this nice so he was ok. Also, forgot to tickle her tail as we were in a rush since it started raining... ah well!

So eager waiting ringside for the next show.
1619630593731.png

Guardians were the last group of the day so the only other dogs left are Best in Show so not many people around! It was also a smaller show than ones we have been to.

Once we came back that afternoon we decided to take a nap. This was the result. Ripley didn't move ONCE for 3 hours.
1619626985291.png

Sunday they had a little pep talk before going in
1619627026123.png

1619627038065.png

Ripley and Derek took two BOBs and two Group 2s on Sunday! The Bernese they went up against every time in group was a very nice dog; a top ten guardian breed at #4! It was an honor to win against them and take Group 1 on Saturday and to be put up next to them on Sunday! On Sunday, Derek was also able to watch Ripley's gait and catch pacing the moment it happened, cued her and got her to hop out of it! We'll be continuing to work on reinforcing the cue at home/class by rewarding her the moment she breaks out of it on command. We are assuming its a growth thing since shes been very good until now!

Sunday's Guardian Group under Judge Kimberly Caines
1619629803175.png

Checking expression; something Ripley has been complimented on but she's all about that bait and if the judge doesn't have any, she ain't bothering LOL
1619629815088.png

Weekend haul
1619627126702.png

So proud of them both for all their hard work starting as complete newbies from that rambunctious puppy in fun matches at 4 months old to finishing her U-CH in the puppy class (6-12mos) at only 3x out. The sky is the limit for them both from here as they are going to continue to her GCH in UKC and will soon be showing in AKC too! They have two more UKC shows this month then Premier in June which is UKC's big national show so should be fun! :D

How proud of them you must be!!!!

I caught the pacing in the one video... I don't know much about conformation but I can see how that doesn't illustrate their best movement. Clever puppy and handler for working through it, though!

I caught the pacing in the one video...
Actually, she didn't pace at all in the videos I linked! Thats why the second show (the videos linked) was a much better outcome in placement for them!! Pacing will be when both legs on the same side of their body move forward and back at the same time, and then the legs on the other side of their body also move forward and back at the same time. They look like those harness horses and from my understanding you are correct, it doesn't show movement very well. The trot is more efficient in covering ground but the pace can be more comfortable if they are going through a weird growth spell or are out of shape. Humans also walk too slowly for dogs so they'll often pace to keep rhythm, its not unusual to see a dog pacing on a heel. Longer human strides can help! Also having them cross over themselves so they reach with the front leg, and drive from the rear will set them off right too. People can also accidentally reward the pace, and then have a heck of a time getting them to break the habit.

Trot (Derek glancing to make sure he doesn't see both legs forward on his side)
trot.png

Crappier quality because facebook screen cap but this is the pace. Both of her right legs are moving forward and her left legs are back.
pace.png

We've been taking her for more hikes with jogging added in to keep her in condition plus their weekly practice classes and practicing at home. We have a sledding hill nearby too so we're going to start using that for uphill fetching to help condition that rear! Its a lot of work but we're all getting exercise together. :D

I'm so proud of you guys and it was a well deserved title after all of the work you've both done and with the beautiful specimen of the breed you have. Okay, I'm a little biased. ;)

maybe because she's slowing down as they approach the end of the line? Like I said, I know NOTHING about conformation so please, educate me!!

View attachment 117885
You are right! I missed it at the very end of her routine here. I was JUST rewatching that and came back to correct myself, haha. 👀She paced from her free stack to the back of the line. The difference I noticed is they didn't do their courtesy turn like they usually do?? Which makes Ripley cross her front over and reach to step off with the correct gait. Always fun to rewatch things and why I'll always take video to see the good and bad as it's great to learn from. Usually never the dog's mistake 🤫

I'm so proud of you guys and it was a well deserved title after all of the work you've both done and with the beautiful specimen of the breed you have. Okay, I'm a little biased. ;)
Can't wait to see you and Pheebs in the ring! She's just as bootyful!! Have you guys started any practicing at home yet?

Not a lot. Our trainer did some and she said she's just so darn wiggly. Same as Ripley was in the beginning, if I remember right. LOL
YEP. Start working on it now! You will have to place that darn foot a million times. And if she's anything like her sister, bait bait bait to distract her because she's a glutton for that bait. 😆

:congrats: I've been waiting to see the show pics and find out how you went. Awesome! A huge amount of work and effort to get there but what a great result. The sky is the limit! :thumbsup:

late to the party here, everyone above said it for me, but for sure Congratulations to all the team for such a great performance!

Wow, super proud of you all! Such fantastic achievements and I’m looking forward to what the future holds for sweet Ripley. Congratulations 👏

And if she's anything like her sister, bait bait bait to distract her because she's a glutton for that bait. 😆
Oh she's definitely bait driven, unlike our other Dobermans. I told the trainer that when I dropped her off and she said that makes it so much easier for training.

:congrats: Ripley is a stunning pup! I know I'm a bit late but still trying to navigate the waters again here.. lol Thanks for all the great photos too.

:congrats: Ripley is a stunning pup! I know I'm a bit late but still trying to navigate the waters again here.. lol Thanks for all the great photos too.
Thank you!! Good to see you back! I can remember the long wait and wondering when is an acceptable time to ask for pics lol! It's the worst!! But I know the breeders are busy busy especially sending pics and updates for 6+ parents.

Back