Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

My old man, Buddy

Discussion in 'Senior Dobermans' started by MyBuddy, Jan 27, 2020.

1. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

^^^^^ That does look weird! Glad he's back to his happy self though!

2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Oh, Buddy! I'm glad he's feeling better but gosh they have a way of scaring us so bad :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Doesn't it?? Any idea what that is? I sorta feel it's like a cramp or something!

4. jazzies mum

I don't have enough medical knowledge to do more than guess. Does it feel hard like a cramped muscle, and is it equal on both sides? It would make some sort of sense. Anyone who has had a back spasm will know how extremely painful that is. The equivalent in the neck muscles would explain how miserable Buddy was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MyBuddy

It is sort of Equal on both sides, although maybe a little more prominent on the right. I think you can even see that in the video. My husband fed him already, so I'll have to check tonight when I feed him. I don't remember it feeling hard. I do notice that he doesn't seem to want to reach down on the floor for a treat sometimes. He knows it's there. But doesn't want to bend down. Makes me feel like there's still some pain there. But then other times, like for his dinner, he will bend down no problem. :scratch:

6. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That sure does look like something is raised in that video. Be it his hair, like when Ragnar’s mid back gets his hackles up or as what @jazzies mum said about a cramped muscle.

Don’t know why he would have next hackles up at home...so I would have to say one of his neck muscles is cramping or tightening up when he goes down to eat/drink.

Can you put the bowl up a foot or two to where he does not have to bend to the floor?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Interesting with the fur like that...looks more like hair loss than hackles though...? If it is a cramp, I wonder if chiro would help? Or a warm wrap with some massage after?

I agree on raising the food bowl. Maybe the raised feeding stations developed out of dealing with neck strains in dogs? It will make him more comfortable at the very least. You will want a table that is at his height so his neck is flat with his back. I’ve used things like flower stands or buckets turned upside down until I got Kaiser’s current table which, according to my mom, is my old desk from when I was a kid. Just elevate the bowl to the right height. Just a note that risk of food splashes on your walls increases. I put cardboard pieces around the corner where Kaiser’s table is to prevent that.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It looks like he ran into something that may have caused his neck sensitivity or may have injured it. Is the hair missing from the area? It was hard to see as it blurred when I enlarged the photo. Does his collar have any scratch or abrasion marks on it?

9. MyBuddy

Its not hackles like on their back. I think its more of a ligament??

He's always so eager to get his food that I forget about raising his dish on something and/or checking his neck again! If he were hesitating or something, it would remind me. But for his dinner or a treat like this, he digs right in! :wacky:

In any event, I thought maybe if I posted the video you all can get a better look. Its kind of fast, so may be hard to see, which was why I thought a GIF was better. Check it out.

10. jazzies mum

That was much clearer. You could be right about ligaments and I tend to think @Tropicalbri's could be right about him causing the injury initially by running into something. It was a sudden onset. What does your vet think about that?

11. MyBuddy

Well, that was his first thought. He said as soon as he came into the room, he knew his neck was hurting. We never came up with a suspect so I can only guess it was chasing Kali and zig zagging back and forth with her. At his age, anything can 'give out' with a sudden movement.

This was one of the pictures that I took the day before !

20200116_142043.jpg

Running and turning on a dime.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  12. MyBuddy

I just came across this photo. I was sleeping on the floor with him. And I finally was able to get up onto couch. With him on the floor below me. He was very comfortable!
    20200123_105609.jpg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. MyBuddy

20200217_075701.jpg 20200217_075658.jpg 20200217_075657(0).jpg 20200217_075655.jpg

This was yesterday morning. Shows you all the zigging and zagging that they do. Obviously he's able to do it now, but I wonder if all of this is how he hurt it.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Has to be a neck muscle....

When he flexes his neck bending to eat, he could be putting his spine in a position to entrap a nerve this involuntarily causing that muscle portion to spasm.

Since his age and how rough/tumble these monsters are, wouldn’t be surprised if there are some degenerative changes in his cervical spine.

Be me?
    I would try and keep his neck in a neautral position and keep out of flexion and extension.

Sometimes, in humans, these things have a way of working themselves out through normal muscle movement patterns.

Good to see him up and moving.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. MyBuddy

Thank you! I will try that!

16. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

How is his neck muscle now? Does it still look cramped?

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  17. MyBuddy

Thanks for asking!

Yea, I saw it the other day when I put something down for him. It's weird. Not sure what to think about it. I mean, do I worry? He's been acting pretty much 95%. He's back to his old self, just a wee bit slower. I can tell it mostly when he's chasing Kali. It's a sort of halfhearted attempt to chase her when she takes off like a bandit! If you know horses, it's more of a canter than a gallop. :D

And there are times when I can tell he doesn't really want to pick up a treat on the floor. I mean, he does, especially if its something good! But sometimes I'll toss him something and it lands on the floor and he looks at it for a sec....and then back at me. Like, Ok, ya got something else so I don't have to bend down?? :spit: Arthritis? Old age? (Ya think? lol) But he is super duper better than when this first started. I thought he was dying. :(

He pretty much trots out to the back of our property like nobody's business. :thumbsup: Loves going outside!

Feb 23
    Can you find him?
    20200224_183913.jpg

• Like Like x 2