My new pup was born Feb. 12!

We got to this tonight. Zastava tried to put her chin on Katyusha's leg for an afternoon nap and Katyusha kinda bolted. but after another 6 or 8 hours, we got to a place of her accepting Zastava's affection. I thought this moment might take all of my 10 days off to achieve, but here we are tonight. Then again, we all know Dobermans to be over-achievers here.;)20240425_202907.jpg20240425_195212.jpg
it was a great day!

We got to this tonight. Zastava tried to put her chin on Katyusha's leg for an afternoon nap and Katyusha kinda bolted. but after another 6 or 8 hours, we got to a place of her accepting Zastava's affection. I thought this moment might take all of my 10 days off to achieve, but here we are tonight. Then again, we all know Dobermans to be over-achievers here.;)View attachment 145920View attachment 145921
it was a great day!
Awww they are beautiful! They do warm up and I had a feeling you were going to see this soon! I have posted some photos of maybe what you can expect soon I bet!
We got to this tonight. Zastava tried to put her chin on Katyusha's leg for an afternoon nap and Katyusha kinda bolted. but after another 6 or 8 hours, we got to a place of her accepting Zastava's affection. I thought this moment might take all of my 10 days off to achieve, but here we are tonight. Then again, we all know Dobermans to be over-achievers here.;)View attachment 145920View attachment 145921
it was a great day!
Awww They are beautiful! I bet soon you will see what I am now seeing I attached some photos

Attachments

• Brothers.jpg
    Brothers.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Give me a lift.jpg
    Give me a lift.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 1
Katyusha play bowed to me tonight, so I engaged her. Soon the Zastava in all her 11 pounds jumped in the ring and Katyusha went to play with her. Immediately, the tiny one got scared and yelped and got dramatic. Katyusha felt so bad hearing the yelp, so she went full stop, Zastava retreated, and Katy came to me for re-assurance. which I gave her. Good girls they are, trying to figure each other out early on and try new things together. 🥰

She went for social practice to play with Katyusha and her big girl "aunties" Squid and Karen today. She learned a lot and did great! But she did get very tired! 20240428_200657.jpg

Oh boy…memories of when Freyja came home and integrating her with Ragnar. It sure is a special experience to relish and remember.

She is beautiful and a puppy always brings the sweet innocence of life to us doesn’t it? Good for you and yours- so happy for y’all!

I can only laugh a little because the shit stirring whirlwind will be coming out soon. Haha.

I know you know what you are doing but if I can add one thing. When little Freyja went too far with Ragnar and he corrected her…I chastised him too much when I should have let him set his boundaries.

I know you know what you are doing but if I can add one thing. When little Freyja went too far with Ragnar and he corrected her…I chastised him too much when I should have let him set his boundaries.
Well, I would rather say that I know what I have gotten myself into, rather than that I know what I am doing? It's still a first time through for 2 dobies for me! Always happy to have advice especially from those who have experience and also success, and I believe you have both, as some others here on DCF do as well.

So far, I have Katyusha comin' in hot from time to time to play bow, but, as with most things Katyusha it's full send or full stop, so she has scared the little Zastava a few times. I have not intervened, but I did make a comment to Katyusha today like "geez girl, ya might wanna come in a little slower, cuz the little one is scared". In the latest episode I couldn't actually tell for sure if Katyusha was issuing an invitation to play, because she did play bow, or more of an intentionally frighten Zastava to keep her a little more at bay, because she also gave a sharp bark at the same time? A reminder, if you will, of who's bigger here? Sometimes Katyusha will check on Zastava, like when we were out Saturday, she kept checking back, sniffing Zastava and then forging ahead.. I think she might love the little one, even if she doesn't like her just yet. For now I probably have a lot to learn by just trying to quietly observe and praise for good, peaceful, or clearly playful, behavior from either one.

Am I barking up the right tree?

Edit to add that when we went to play with Karen and Squid, they got really interactive with the baby, and Katyusha really did notice and is much less hesitant to calmly be near the puppy after that.

Well, I would rather say that I know what I have gotten myself into, rather than that I know what I am doing?
Lol… you are well equipped and will do great.

Always happy to have advice especially from those who have experience and also success, and I believe you have both, as some others here on DCF do as well.
A great compliment and I am humbled. My success is from my failures and DChat support.

So far, I have Katyusha comin' in hot from time to time to play bow, but, as with most things Katyusha it's full send or full stop, so she has scared the little Zastava a few times. I have not intervened, but I did make a comment to Katyusha today like "geez girl, ya might wanna come in a little slower, cuz the little one is scared". In the latest episode I couldn't actually tell for sure if Katyusha was issuing an invitation to play, because she did play bow, or more of an intentionally frighten Zastava to keep her a little more at bay, because she also gave a sharp bark at the same time? A reminder, if you will, of who's bigger here?
This is good stuff. Let Katyusha do her thing, you will know when it’s not appropriate.

Sometimes Katyusha will check on Zastava, like when we were out Saturday, she kept checking back, sniffing Zastava and then forging ahead.. I think she might love the little one, even if she doesn't like her just yet.
This is great progress already! I ran that video in my mind and smiled warmly. Really like your statement that she might love her but doesn’t like her just yet. I don’t know how @JanS did that with Olive and Elroy..they absolutely adore each other- how special is that? Ragnar loved Freyja but I don’t think he particularly liked her.

For now I probably have a lot to learn by just trying to quietly observe and praise for good, peaceful, or clearly playful, behavior from either one.
You got it…right on.

No way I would have gotten this yesterday, so I'm happy knowing that there is progress

there was another progress pic of the baby laying her head on Katyusha's leg for a snooze. The reason the pics are so different are that in the first progress pic, we had company who was soothing Katyusha on the couch. The other difference is that here, the puppy was already in place and Katyusha moved towards her knowing she was there.20240429_180822.jpg

It'll all work out fine.

I had the opposite problem - Asha came at 10 weeks and my housemates dog was 5 years. It was pretty good for about a week but Asha came in owning the place and started terrorizing poor Reckless. I won't go into it here, but it really was relentless. They are happy house mates, and travel and work together, but no such thing as cuddling or sleeping next to each other. They've never ever had a fight. I almost think Dobermans are difficult for other breeds to understand!

It'll all work out fine.
I really appreciate this as I do have watchfulness about SSA. But hopefully these girls will never experience it.
I almost think Dobermans are difficult for other breeds to understand!
I agree and even think Dobermans are difficult for other dog breed owners to understand, To be honest. One student asked about Doberman origins today, asking if they are herding dogs, or hunting dogs, or? No, they really aren't any of those, or, they are a mix of those that is so special, they are the Tax Dogs. The student loved the background. It also helps explain crops/docks.

Back