• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

my boy won't gain weight :'(

i went earlier and got Blue Buffalo and im goin to start leaving food out all day until he gains about 10 pounds
Beau is about 60 lbs and I don't know how tall he is.
He just turned two BUT he did weigh 73lbs before and now that i take him to our park he lost a bunch of weight
He has gained two pounds !!!!!!! :)

I'm personally not a fan of free feeding because they can tend to gorge themselves (risking bloat) or become finicky when they know they can get it all the time, so we keep ours on a routine all the time. It's not a problem to increase the amount they get per feeding to get the weight up there though. :)

Glad to hear he put a couple pounds on!

i went earlier and got Blue Buffalo and im goin to start leaving food out all day until he gains about 10 pounds
Beau is about 60 lbs and I don't know how tall he is.
He just turned two BUT he did weigh 73lbs before and now that i take him to our park he lost a bunch of weight
He has gained two pounds !!!!!!! :)

Maybe you should do a blood panel to be sure that's not health related. I always do it.
Does he have good appetite? Is his poop normal? Did you check it for worms?

i took him to the vet and he said that Beau was perfectly healthy. He has a great appetite !!!
His poo looks normal. YES ! thankfuly!!! i was worried when the vet said "weeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllll. . . . ." but he was just messing arond cause once he said this he said "your boy is perfectly normal"

I agree about free feeding and would only feed him controlled by dishing out his portions and feeding at scheduled times. You'll know exactly how much he's eating and he'll eat it all at one sitting. The biggest thing is you'll know exactly how much he's eating..(;) ;)) so you can tell if you need to change the amounts and such. :)

@DV, I've always thought Gino and Asha looked fantastic.

Some intact Doberboys have a high sex drive and they lose weight "dreaming".....
Gino is still intact but he is not crazy about females. Perhaps Asha gave him "good" lessons ;)

HAHA ! but no he isnt intact anymore.
I have started feeding him twice a day (2 1/2 cups).
The reason i decided to start twice a day agian is he ate 2 whole 48oz bowls full of food and then the next hour or so he threw up probably about half of it :eek:

HAHA ! but no he isnt intact anymore.
I have started feeding him twice a day (2 1/2 cups).
The reason i decided to start twice a day agian is he ate 2 whole 48oz bowls full of food and then the next hour or so he threw up probably about half of it :eek:

Good to hear you are feeding on a schedule. Yeah, a lot of times our dogs don't know what's best. I could set Java in front of an entire 40lb bag of a food and she'd attempt to eat it all until she got sick. I wish you luck and hope you see some results in his weight gain!

I feed my dogs 2-3 times a day (3rd feeding is more like snack - raw bones mostly).
Overfeeding may cause bloat and it's very high risk to lose a dog.
That's the main reason I don't like free feeding. Some dogs are doing well but others are like pigs and they won't stop eating!

Our boy Ranger just turned 6 months, he eats 6 cups of Canidae and a can of wet, we feed him 3 times a day and he still is slim, we are just starting to cut back to 2 meals a day.

I think it might have to do with his name! ;) My Ranger (1 1/2 yo) cant gain weight for anything eats twice a day same amount as my pit (who is older) and looks like hes anorexic every morning! And if I dont feed him right before we go to the park I will get questions for other owners on how much he eats!

Saint was a nightmare to put weight on. She never stops moving, EVER. What worked for me was to find a dog food that had more calories per cup. I was feeding her Diamonds Naturals and it wasn't helping maintain her weight. If I fed her extra it would come out as diarrhea and if I gave her satin balls it just gave her a reason to guard the fridge.lol I started her on Diamonds High Energy and it has worked wonders. Granted, its not the best food out there by a long shot but its the best I can afford that will maintain her weight. Another thing to consider is he just might not be completely physically mature. When Saint went through her puppy uglies you can bet she was one fugly puppy. She shot up and all her puppy fat seemed to disappear overnight! Now at almost two years old she is finally starting to look like a somewhat mature Doberman. Saint didn't get the memo that she is supposed to a composed, regal looking dog.lol

When I got Matrix he was about 18 months old and was severely emaciated, I will include a pic, he was so thin, and weighed no more than 60lbs. He is also a sport dog and thus burns lots of calories, therefore I feed him six cups per day, three cups twice a day of diamond hi energy sport dog formula, because it has a very good fat to protein ratio, and helps with dogs that burn alot of calories, I also mix in some missing link supplement as well. He is now a solid 90 lbs of muscle.

This was when I first got him
matrixskinny.jpg

and this is a more recent picture.
162.jpg

146-Copy.jpg

My Eda is 16 months old and very thin. I free feed her an all natural diet with beaver meat supplement, as well as derm-tabs to help her coat. She does not gain weight very well. She has been constantly free fed for 2 months now and is still very thin. I have attached a photo. Hopefully you can see the condition of her body. She is very active and would run for 5 miles straight if i let her, but i try to keep her from running off TOO much of what she eats.32620_187091168108367_1597642472_n.jpg

Hi Friends

I have a doberman who is 1 Year 4 months old and from india. He is not developing chest and he suddenly thins down. any help in gaining weights.. i feed him chicken and rice in the morning and around 8pm i feed him dry food called science plan.

Attachments

• IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 29
Id recommend upping his food and maybe satin balls he does look thin to me. I would consider switching kibbles and not feeding the chicken and rice and replacing it with good quality kibble.
Good quality kibbles are orijen, taste of the wild, acana, Fromm and there are many others :)

Id recommend upping his food and maybe satin balls he does look thin to me. I would consider switching kibbles and not feeding the chicken and rice and replacing it with good quality kibble.
Good quality kibbles are orijen, taste of the wild, acana, Fromm and there are many others :)
Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately, I'm from india and I dont think ill be able to get kibbles. but may i know how much quantity i should feed him?

Back