Mabel the pig

Brioddy

Hot Topics Subscriber
As requested, here is my pig thread. I’m fairly certain it is a SHE although there is a possibility that it’s original owners had him neutered. But I don’t think so.

I’ve never been around pigs before and I will say this, they have no concept of personal space. She is all up on me! Very friendly, and loves to eat. Like a pig. Lol!

Here’s a video I took yesterday after I set up a straw bed for her in the barn. It’s been cold and raining here all day so I’m glad she has a dry cozy spot to hang out in.

 
I LOVE pigs, they are easily trained, smart and fun with a Doberman fondness for attention and food!!

Mabel is a great name. Mine was Maudine, Maude for short.
 
DSC01461x2.webp Mabel is a cutey. Do you know how old she is?

There were pigs kept on the farm where I grew up, and the ones who lived freely outdoors with a shelter smelled sort of nice and spicy. They are clean if given a chance. Natures clowns too! She sort of reminds me of a pig I met on a trip to NZ that only grew to about that size, although the one I met had been living the high life and you couldn't really tell which end was which!DSC01466x2.webp
 
I admit, she is actually quite cute. I really don’t know anything about caring for them. Im actually sitting here wondering what you will feed her. I imagine they just eat lots of veggies and some sort of commercial pig feed. Hm. Research time!
 
Awww, so nice that she has a warm, dry place to stay! How are the dogs with her?
She sort of reminds me of a pig I met on a trip to NZ that only grew to about that size, although the one I met had been living the high life and you couldn't really tell which end was which!
Not knowing much about pigs, I have to wonder.....are they always on the chubby side? Or is that normal size? I don't know if I've even seen a pot bellied pig that wasn't pretty, well.....on the large side. ;)

Did that woman give you a reason why she gave up Mabel? Or was it just because she was never home anyway?
 
Ok so here’s a background story on Mabel:

About a year and a half ago the neighbors show up with a pig that he said was wild and found wandering in the woods. She was definitely someone’s pet who probably escaped, not feral in the least bit. So he said he caught the pig (she was much smaller then) and was going to fatten it up to eat. Then winter came and they decided to hold off on butchering. It’s been like I said well over a year and now the pig routinely escapes from the pen and they do nothing about fixing it, and every time they took her back she just got right back out. I don’t blame her either, her pen there is a disgusting mud pit and the only shelter is a dog house she’s too big to fit in. So she started coming over to my house, and it was over once she discovered delicious duck pellets. Not sure why but all the animals, dogs included, love it. The first time I mustered the courage to pet her, she just soaked it up and it made me feel so bad for the life she’s lead. But anyway I texted the neighbor after I did some research and was really friendly just like “what do I gotta do to get the pig from ya?” I explained she’s not a meat pig but a pot belly and not getting any bigger... I even offered to pay. She wasn’t about it, but later that evening when I went over to their house she had apparently left the decision up to her husband who said I didn’t need to pay anything, and he was gonna tie a red ribbon around her neck and send her over. Lol!

Honestly they have their good points but when it comes to other things, like animals, are ignorant as they come. Even if you are going to butcher, you should give that animal the best quality of life you can.

She is actually a little over weight, but I think all pigs are gonna be a bit chunky. They eat everything! I bought a bag of swine feed that I have to give to her first, away from the duck food, because that’s still the preferred fare. And since I work in a restaurant I bring home a lot of odd ends of fruits and veggies, her favorites are tomatoes. Otherwise she’s been rooting around the yard, much like the ducks do. My house looks like old McDonald driving by with five ducks and a pig standing by my front door with a parrot and three dogs in the window...
 
My house looks like old McDonald driving by with five ducks and a pig standing by my front door with a parrot and three dogs in the window...
Well, I'll tell ya, it just gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling and a lump in my throat!! I think your 'story' has been a favorite of mine since you moved there! A beautiful area, a creek, hills and woods and a bunch of animals that are all beautiful, well cared for and loved to pieces!!:love: I love hearing about it all. :thumbsup: Miss Mabel is gonna fit right in!
 
I know absolutely zilch about piggies but oh my, she’s pretty adorable! Her oinking at the start was so cute.
I think being greeted home from work, by a pig, is pretty awesome! She’s landed on all 4 trotters with you. She’ll have a wonderful life, I really love this!
 
This is a true loving ‘Christmas Story’.
She chose the best home ever to come to. Animals know!!!

You are going to really enjoy having her around as pigs are so funny and have great social characters about them. Pretty soon you can get her potty trained and have her cleaned up and her own bed in the house. All that’s missing is that Partridge in your pear tree. :D
 
She is such a sweetheart and I'm glad she was able to come and be part of your family! I agree that they're extremely clean if given a chance so it's great she has it now. I can't wait to watch her journey.
 
Well, I appreciate all the well wishes but unfortunately a pig just isn’t meant to be. The neighbors verbally said I could have it, but when I expressed wishes to find it another home their tune changed. Then it was “that’s food for my kids and I’ll make lye soap”. Right. So it was perfectly okay for me to go buy food, bedding, and to take care of it meanwhile they’re straight up talking about how they’re going to butcher it for Christmas. They’ve done nothing to keep it contained which is why she kept coming over here to begin with, especially after discovering the ducks food.

Truth be told, I never really wanted a pig, I just felt bad for her. They’re pushy, stink, tear up your yard, and it’s near impossible to feed my ducks. I can’t let my dogs out because they’re too interested in her and she charges them, and yes she has tusks. She even rolled Odyssey and bit at her multiple times, thank goodness none landed. My dogs are a thousand times more important to me than a wayward pig. I don’t have the means to construct a pen, nor do I really want to. I offered to find her a nice home and solve everyone’s problem, seeing as they can’t contain her and apparently aren’t going to butcher either. But that wasn’t good for them. I used to be friendly with these people but after this, I’ve wiped my hands clean.
 
Unfortunately that attitude is not uncommon in the South among country folks.
Seems they thought you got her fed (fattened up) with good food and then when you mentioned finding her a home they took that to mean you were going to sell it and make money from it.

People are greedy and this is the perfect example of it. I don’t like disagreements with neighbors because of retaliation but I would want to include a bill for the damages incurred by the pig when they pick her up. So sorry this happened!
 
They know me well enough to know I wasn’t going to sell for money, I was only interested in a good home. And if it was about money, hell they could have it. I think it was more along the lines of “well we gave her the pig because we thought she wanted it, but now she wants to give it away. If she’s going to give it away we might as well keep it and eat it.” But they made no move to come remove the pig from my care, which leads me to believe it was okay for me to deal with it until they were ready to do what they do. No thanks, that ain’t right, and I told them about the issues between the pig and other animals. I even told them that pot bellies aren’t meat pigs, they’re mostly fat. I digress, they’re ignorant and I’m just going to let it go. I have my ducks and dogs to worry about if they felt a need to retaliate for anything, as evidenced animals don’t matter a bit to them.

They are literally across the street from me. I had to physically tell them that if they’re keeping the pig, they need to come get it. Otherwise it was cool to just leave it here, despite their other plans.
 
Sorry to hear how this has all turned out. :( And it is the reason that I keep a comfortable distance with all my closest neighbours. People can be :poop:'s and the friends we keep and value are often few and far between. I do hope it all settles down with no lasting fallout as it isn't comfortable with them so close.
 
Thank you all, it’s been a little stressful. It’s not so much that my dogs have an issue.. they’re just interested (except for Rio who couldn’t care less) and the pig does not like them getting close. Either to itself or me. I’m more comfortable not having her but wish I could find her a good home. But what can I do.
 

Back
Top