• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Knox Gelatin Powder for ears

Anyone heard of using Knox gelatin powder to help ears stand up and form cartilage? Just bumped into a Great Dane owner who swore by it and said she had done her last 3 great danes ears using it to great success. Just sprinkle a little powder on the food and give it a couple weeks. Never heard anyone from the dobe world doing it and was wondering why?

Years ago, I remember women used it for stronger fingernails....... very interesting!

''Our vet has also recommended giving a teaspoon daily of Knox Gelatin for about two weeks. You can mix it with a teaspoon of canned meat. ''

I just googled it and found the above on a Westie site...interesting!

Thanks Silent but Shepards ears stand on their own so I'm not sure if that would compare here. Not saying it wouldn't either.

Thanks to you, too, burly.:) At the very least I could try this for a couple of weeks and report back on anything significant that develops with Chloe's left ear. Please let me know what your sister-in-law says.

Sometimes Shepherd ears are taped or mole skin foam is used to encourage erect ears. They don't all just automatically stand. Westies are another breed I've seen mole skin foam used on.

Shepherds ears should stand on their own but.... Depending on the lines some shepherds have huge ears and some have soft ears. I have seen them posted just like a dobe, more often they do use molefoam.

Soft ears is considered a genetic fault in shepherds.

Will my German shepherd puppy's ears stand?
Although some puppies' ears stand as early as 8-10 weeks, don't be concerned if your pup's ears don't stand until 6-7 months (especially pups with large ears) after teething. Some pups ears never stand. This is known as a "soft ear". Sometimes taping is successful. "Soft ears" are a genetic trait, and dogs with soft ears should not be bred even if taping is successful. It is a disqualification in showing.

The google search actually shows issues with several prick ear breeds that should stand.

Well I tried a little dusting of it last night and so far so good. Zulu's ears were already about done but it couldn't hurt. Since I tried putting a little on, his poop is still nice logs so no upsetting of the stomach occurred. it kind of makes sense since gelatin I believe is made from cartilage and bone. How it makes its way from the stomach to the ears is beyond me though. For a 1.29 it cant hurt to try.

its made from cartlige and bones??????? ewwwwwwwww!! I have heard it does wonders for hair and nails, never thought of it for ears...

and my male GSD had big ears, he had one that flopped til he was a year and a half... how embarassing, LOL

Good to know on the stool facter burly. I think I'll pick some up tomorrow. It would be nice if Chloe's left ear would stand all the time instead of just when she spots a squirl or is mad at me.:)

I think I will have to try this as well. It cant hurt. I drank it all the time growing up. I had LOOONNNNGGGG beautiful nails and thick hair. Everyone thought my nails were fake..so I guess it worked. Hope it works for ears !

He's been posted up pretty much all week. I will let you know when I change em today or tomorrow if I see a difference yet.

Another member was haviing concerns over ears not standing completely upright so I thought I'd bump this up to look at again.:)

Thanks MLR, Knox Gelatin Powder seems to be a pretty routine thing for many of the other 'ear' breeds. I found quite a bit online and in person from Great Dane people. They swear by it. I used and still continue to use the Knox and I think my guys ears look pretty darn good. Not sure if thats the reason why but we definitely did not leave his ears up 100% of the time as so many others do. It was more like 50%. Currently I only sprinkle the knox on a couple times a week.

great to hear burly ! Lexi's ears are for the most part done now..but similar to another poster somewhere on here ( not sure where ) her ears a a tad floppy when she runs..they are up straight but a slight bend in the middle when running.. ( looks like a bird flapping wings ) and one ear when super super excited tips in just a tad. I dont mind that too much. My other gal for the first yr when super excited her ears would almost fold flat into her head. After that first year, everything relaxed and never folded inwards again. *shrug* but I would rather they tip in than fold over LOL

Back