Is a Doberman Pinscher right for you?

F

FredC

slide.jpg

The Doberman is an highly intelligent, active and energetic breed that needs mental stimulation from it’s owner. This breed is best for an experienced owner who is not afraid to maintain their role as the "alpha dog." This is an energetic breed and life in an apartment is not the best setting for a Dobe. A fenced yard, and quality exercise is a much better fit for them.

Breed Characteristics, Temperament and Training
The Doberman Pinscher is known to be energetic, watchful, fearless and obedient. They are ready to give prompt alarm (and back up that warning) but are also affectionate, obedient and loyal. The breed requires regular exercise, but needs only minimal grooming for his short coat. If you simply want a pet for your family, and don't have the time or desire to take your dog running or hiking or biking or swimming, or to get involved in agility, obedience, tracking, schutzhund, or a similar canine activity, the Doberman Pinscher is not for you.

The Doberman is a very intelligent breed, and it is best to start their training at a very young age. They have a dominant personality and must be taught early on that you are the "alpha dog". In addition, due to their size and strength, it is imperative that their owners be able to handle them. They are assertive but not aggressive unless they are trained to be such. However, if they sense that you fear them or that you cannot show dominance over them, they will become the alpha.
It is very important that every member of the family be taught to handle the dog with confidence, or the dog will become dominant. Training should be through positive reinforcement and should include the entire family. If you spend time with your Doberman and take the time to train him properly, you'll find no better family dog. They will want to be with the family constantly and will require regular interaction.

This is not a dog that can be isolated, living alone in the back yard!!!
Despite the Doberman Pinscher's poor public image for being a fierce and vicious dog (due to being used as guard dogs and police dogs), most Dobermans are great with young children and other pets. They really are devoted family dogs. By nature a Doberman will be protective, but will not attack unless they feel that their family or property are truly in danger.

They are energetic, and will be happiest if you give them regular opportunity to run off this energy. They should be thoroughly socialized at an early age so that he is comfortable around strangers. They are highly trainable, and they will do anything to please their owners.

If your Doberman is properly trained to be a family dog you have absolutely nothing to fear from having this breed become part of your family. You'll find no more loyal dog breed and they are an effective watch dog, should you need one. They are great with children and with other pets in the home, but they should be introduced to them at an early age. They are extremely intelligent, and they're quick learners who are eager to please their owners.

The feelings between a Doberman and its owner are reciprocal, the love and devotion that one has for the other is of mutual giving and receiving. That is one of the amazing benefits of ownership of this breed of dog
------------------------
Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Why didn't anyone tell us this before we bought two of them us puppies? They are simply out of control, what are we going to do.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343311942.393672.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343311942.393672.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 204
Well I never researched the dobie before I brought my first one home. He was an amazing boy that was in trouble and his eyes just begged me to get him out of the situation he was in. On paper, a dobie is probably all wrong for me. The biggest reason? I am a big softie, and they take control of me. But it is way too late...I am in love with the breed and tried my best to learn to be a strong owner. No other breed for me!

Between what I have learned here,and having Daisy almost 4 years now and what a great member of the family she has become....I don't know that I could ever see myself with another breed of dog ever again?

20 years ago i lost my sweet Brittany Spaniel.. she would run when she hear a gun.. she loved to hunt..I was heart broke.. I decided I was going to get a dog not so easily stolen.. well there was an ad for dobie puppies .. I took my son and we picked out Angel my first dobie. I was in for it lol. they are such a wild child... I was young and had done obedience with my brittany.. and when Angel was old enough she went to her lessons.. she loved it..
I loved the breed and still do...
I am 71years old so now I will rescue older girls like me lol.. I am looking and waiting for rescue I had go Missy , we are looking for the right fit.... I can't hardly wait..:pullhair:
hugs, Bet :dobe:

For me I had one when I was about 10 into my adult years. I had to many kids and couldn't give another Dobe the attention I thought they needed so I got Dalmatians :eek: What was I thinking?? lol. but it turned out they are vary similar in many things so I felt pretty confident when I got Tasha. The health issues I had not expected or anticipated. We are becoming a black belt in care now so I don't get as nervous as I first was but I think just like when you have a baby you can never quite anticipate exactly how it will be until you just close your eyes and jump in!

I think what I see the most during my short time with rescues is, like the Dalmatian, people get these animals for a decoration, because they look cool, and when the reality that they are very sensitive and intelligent animals that need nurture and care they bail. Tragic but I think the more we educate the better it is getting -

Great post Von it really warmed my heart :)

I have had numerous breed during my life from pits, Rottweilers, great danes, and lastly german shepards.

I will say these dogs are the definition of mans best friend. My 2 year old male is like my son and best friend all in one package.

No matter where i go in the house he will be right by my side. When i lay across my bed he lays across my lap. When i go pick up kids from school he goes along for the ride.

I have always been a dog person but i have never had a dog so loving and affectionate. As we all know they are a handful at the same time.

My boy literally ate my couch and love seat. Ate my daughters ipad and many pairs of my wife shoes. None of that ever made me love him any less.

He has bitten 2 people but he was being taunted by a 15 year old kid and a drunk buddy of my. I couldn't punish him because it was their fault for taunting him.

Well when I got Watson a doberman probably wasn't the best fit for me, but I was obsessed which Is kinda a understatement, now I am like full on dobernut and could not get a different breed.

I too have to say I'm "sold" on the breed and won't have any other breed once my other pack members cross that rainbow bridge. My BF believes there is an invisible apron string attached to me from Malina, because where ever I'm at Malina is sure to follow :)

I have always admired the breed but until about 14 years ago did not have one. Ru was the most loving and gentle dog and I have missed her so since she's been gone. Also had Ice and again so loving. Fire is 5 months old and she is a joy. Can't imagine having any other dog but a Dobie.

Daisy is my second Doberman. We got her when my son was 8 months and my daughter was 3 years old. It took about 2 weeks for her to figure out her place in her place in the family. Now we couldn't imagine having another dog. Intelligent, fun, protective, and gentle what else could you want. It's unfortunate that Dobermans got a bad rap in the 70's because while they are protective American Dobermans are generally not aggressive unless forced to action.

Last edited:
I still miss my first Doberman. Shadow was amazing. She lived in a fraternity house with 40 other guys and 3 other dogs. Never a dull moment. I've haven't had a dog since that I was completely confident that she would jump through a glass window if she thought I was in trouble. It might sound crazy to say that but it's just how she was. Awesome dog.

I've always loved Dobermans and I am sooo happy to finally have my girl Ruby! She may be a little pain in the butt at times but I wouldn't change that because I still love her so much! Can't see my life without her in it. My other 2 dogs would be lost without her too.

Back