Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Featured Is a Doberman Pinscher right for you?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by FredC, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Maly

Maly New Member

All right on. I didn't pick the breed. Dobermans chose me. I was raised with German Shepherds, but heard a lot of horror stories about Dobermans growing up. I never saw any as a kid, but my idea was their owners were maniacs who'd sic their dogs on a person and rip his arms and legs off.

The first Dobie I saw was at a shelter. I wasn't looking for a dog at the time, just visiting regularly. Every day I'd walk away from her. She'd howl and howl like her heart was breaking. I finally decided to take her home because no one else was. After her, I was hooked. My last Dobie was a blue male. I lost him to cancer 15 years and still cry over how much I miss him.

Finally, I have a Dobie puppy and I feel like me again.

If I were to meet a first timer, I'd really suggest obedience classes. That's how I came to understand my first Dobe. Seeing how she worked versus the other dogs, the labs and basset hounds, oh wow what a difference. In school, I was the nerdy kid in the front row right across from the teacher. I think of Dobermans like that too. None of them will be sitting at the back of the classroom cracking jokes while the teacher's writing on the board.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Polskadot

Polskadot New Member

Mars is my first Doberman but he is not my first experience with the breed. My oldest son has been with the same in-home daycare provider since he was 2 months old. She has two dobies. They are the sweetest dogs I had ever met. I formed an immediate bond with their male black and tan, Rock. My oldest is now 4 and my youngest is 11 months and I trust those dogs fully around my boys. I have been obsessed with dobes ever since and I kept vowing I was going to steal Rock from my babysitter. I finally convinced my husband to let me get a baby daub and I brought home my Red and rust boy, Mars. I have another dog, an American Eskimo mix named Nanook, who is nearly 11 and she puts up with him, but puts him in his place. She is far more patient than i thought she would be.

Mars is just about 14 weeks old and he is such a handful! I'm by myself when I get home from work with the boys until about 3am when my hubby gets home, so I have a lot on my plate. A toddler, an infant, a cranky old dog, and my puppy. I'm apparently a glutton for punishment. I don't know if he truly is the best fit for us right now, but he's here, I love him and he's not going anywhere. He stays by me, doesn't leave the yard (much) and offleash, and is ridiculously intelligent. He's a great, crazy boy who likes to be by me all the time. The perfect velcro boy.

• Like Like x 4
  3. ChiDobe

ChiDobe Jr Member

AMEN!! I felt exactly the same way, the first few months were really hard, even when we began training. The first truly joyful, eye-watering moment I experienced with him was when I had completed his off-leash training, and I was able to let him run around in the park completely free (with e-collar, of course) for the first time. It was pure bliss :) That was right around 8 months; he's 18 months now and I'm so madly in love with this boy.

I do, however, have to respectfully disagree with a statement from the original post: "This is an energetic breed and life in an apartment is not the best setting for a Dobe." We live in a 2bd apartment in downtown Chicago, and Miko gets more stimulation and exercise than nearly every average suburban dog. When he's not at the dog park, playing in Lake Michigan at the dog beach, or meeting up with fellow dog friends for a play date, he's chasing rabbits and squirrels and running around off leash in the huge park behind our building every day. He's constantly meeting new people, new dogs, and experiencing new environments and smells. We took him to my parents' house for Christmas last year for a week, thinking he'd love their massive back yard, and all he did was sit on the porch and whine/cry because he just wanted to be inside with us Just had to stick up for all the city dogs out there!

• Like Like x 3
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You are very right there. As long as they get sufficient exercise, training and mental stimulation I don't think your living quarters make much of a difference.

I do think we need some updated pics though. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yes, with my first Dobe (so obviously I was a new Dobe owner) I lived in a number of different apartments. They can handle it just fine if you give them nice daily walks and mental stimulation.

I think that "not an apartment dog" mantra is just a blanket statement geared toward covering the irresponsible.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. sky

sky Lurking Member

Hi i am lost with A question i got a dog but some says it's a dobe some says it's a cross breed with a rotie and dobe how can i be sure? Help

Attached Files:

7. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

@sky - Please do not post your question in multiple threads, especially older threads. I moved your posts to a new thread of your own, you can find it here (Is my dog purebred? I want to breed.). Thanks :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Eltoroloco

Eltoroloco Novitiate

I cannot imagine a better dog. But I know I said this in the past about all my dogs Haha!
    I got ours when my son was just 7. Living in a big house just the 2 of us, I wanted protection. I know could have just put the doberman warning on the house I guess... But he is a great friend, a play buddy, my son's best friend and incredible companion. He adopts well to whatever we do and he seems pretty happy in all situations. Easy going if you ask me. Maybe a little stubborn but incredibly smart and trainable, even still at age 7 he learns new things. Obedient beyond words and he is always eager to please me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

THE PROBLEM DOESN'T START WITH YOUR DOG...those of us who have been dog lovers have known a TWO facts for years...The first fact is some dogs are like kids who never leave home or grow up...Secondly, we know some people never research the breed they are choosing for a forever friend...(lower your expectations and understand the breed, both you and your friend will live happy forever)... thus ends the lesson. ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  10. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

I am smitten with the breed too, but they can challenge you! If you persist past the puppy stuff though, there is pure gold, and it is early days for me as Jazz is just 13 months. Just lately she is delighting me with her growing willingness to please, and almost intuitive grasp of what is required of her. It was her assertive nature that had me flummoxed in the beginning as I had never encountered this to such a degree with any other dog I've lived with, and getting the balance right with being firm enough without being harsh was a learning curve off it's own! We now respect each other, and I try to make sure that I take time to work out WHY she might be doing something undesired, apologise when I get it wrong, and expect the same apology from her if she has messed up, and mostly get it these days. She is, after all, a Doberperson! Love them!

• Like Like x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  11. Patti Ann

Patti Ann Novitiate

I did all the research on dobes when my 12yo golden retriever passed. I was heartbroken and wanted another companion, guardian, friend, and another barking alarm (besides my Chihuahuas and my daughter's 11yo pittbull.who btw is afraid of my chis.)
    But I wanted a breed completely different in appearances and personalities as a canine could be, but still a dog with great intelligence and ease of trainability. I came across an article where A dobe was referred to as "Velcro Dogs" I was sold. 6months of research later HIDALGO (Spanish for gentleman) was welcomed home. There is not a thing anyone can do or try that will keep that best friend of mine from my side. We hike often, we love to stroll in the local creek, and we love -love- love long car rides. HIDALGO is now 1year and 3weeks old and weighs in at whopping 110lbs and still growing. The vets have us holding off on neutering because of the growth hormones released after. As a European Dobermann I wasn't expecting such a mush. He is the greatest hugger ever. I'm bruised and scratched from head to toe since at 5'5", I am already shorter than him when he's on his hind legs, but every ache pain and scar is worth it a thousand times over because I love him more then I could've imagined. He's goofy when he sees I'm down. Serene when life gets noisy. Most of all he's definitely what I needed most my friend, my baby, my pooper.
    Thanks to his size and and stance he's an ex husband deterent. No more knocking neighbors, no more whining family members, no more johovahs witnessas. In fact not a soul has rang my doorbell for months now. The mailman throws packages Over the hedges and hightails it away from fence...i love it .i.i just hope I can be the best human my Dobermann deserves and thinks I am.

• Like Like x 5
  12. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

:spit: That's hysterical but I get it!! I did see a Jehovah Witness leave my property once without knocking when they saw Buddy. :whistle::thumbsup: But our mailman loves animals and he and my dogs (I have a Chi mix too) are best buds! In fact, twice, Kali (my Chi mix) snuck past me out of the house to greet him!! Of course, she loves everybody. :rolleyes:

You got yourself a real Pal now! Dobermans are the best!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Eber

Eber Novitiate

My Doberman is my first dog ever. I thought I could never train a Doberman, and it's too complicated but I'm happy that my boyfriend said that there are no other breed options and I can do it. Also, I was terrified I couldn't be enough "alpha" for the dog, but there haven't been any issues with that. In the beginning, the breeder said that everything needs to be black and white with this breed and I have followed that. If something is no, then it will be no forever and opposite. When I was a child, there was very aggressive Doberman in the neighbor, so I thought they are all like that. I'm amazed at how easy they are to train if you just make some effort. The first year was the most difficult, but it was because my Dobie had so much energy and my boy really tried where his limits are. This is not the right breed if you don't like your dog being on your side 24/7. More work than I could ever imagine, but now I'm happy being the crazy dog lady hahaha. Mine is super gentle, feels like he understands what I speak to him, will protect me if needed, very adaptable, learns quickly in a good and bad. I couldn't imagine any other breed. I am very proud Doberman owner!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You said it all very well right there!

• Agree Agree x 2