I feed each of our dogs separately but asking for suggestions

Spryte

Hot Topics Subscriber
Our three big dogs are very food oriented. I feed one doberman Gunnar (male) in the house, one Aussie female Josie on the back porch, and the new female doberman Beretta 7 months old in her crate on the back porch. The Aussie has, from eight weeks felt all food is hers, but typically "leaned" over the other dogs to win.

However, she isn't the one I'm talking about. I feed Beretta in her crate first. Then I feed Josie - but as soon as I tell Josie sit and wait, Beretta starts barking loudly and rumbling - WHILE SHE IS EATING. I'd like tonip this in the bud. Any suggestions?

Ours are fed in the crate regardless of age and they respect it. Lately I've been letting Albert eat out of the crate because of some health issues but they both respect the boundaries.

The crate is at one end of the porch, and I feed Josie at the other end. Gunnar is fed inside his crate as well, in the house. Beretta is contained in her crate. Josie does not have a crate, but even if she did, Beretta would throw this fit. I just wondered if there is a good way to address this issue. Our back porch is 20 feet long, so there is at least 15 feet between them.

We’ve never had a pack, just Kaiser who is like a pack of wolves on his own, but why is the youngest dog being being fed first? Pack structure requires the original resident members to eat first. So Josie first, then Gunnar, only then the “young gun”. Also, at 7 months, Beretta is in the teen stage, she and the other female should not be sharing the porch.

I’m not sure if I’m outside of the normal or just one that insists on a level of rules my dogs must follow, lol.

I feed both Dobers in the same room and at the same time.
The wife and I are in dogs numbers three and four as a family, 3 of them Dobermans and one smaller mixed breed that was our first family dog.

Both dogs have “their” bowl and their place. We feed in the garage. Their bowls are about 9 feet apart.

I collect the bowls, add kibble and add whatever topper they are getting that day.
Tell them both to go sit.
They go to their place and sit.
Bowls are dropped in front of them and they retain the sit.

I give them a release word. They each have their own word. Sometimes I give him his first, sometimes hers first.

I’ve noticed the newer female is adapting Rocky’s release word😂

I don’t have a google account or a YouTube account but I’m pretty sure I sent a quick dinner at the compound video to @Oh Little Oji last year. The female is a little bouncy going down MTI her sit, but holds it till the release word.

It didn’t happen overnight, lol.
The new girl will celebrate her 2nd anniversary of being here in January.
It was a good month and a half to get her to “get it” but once she did it goes like clockwork.

I don’t have a google account or a YouTube account but I’m pretty sure I sent a quick dinner at the compound video to @Oh Little Oji last year. The female is a little bouncy going down MTI her sit, but holds it till the release word.
I'll see if I can find it. Since I don't do "the cloud," and my phone is perennially at storage capacity I have to sometimes go through and delete attachments. :)

I free feed all mine together. Same large bowl. Fir kibble. I hand feed other meats but they all sut and wait their turn(Rocco the new pup is learning). They take turns according to who is alpha, older, etc. they all get enough to eat and none of them are overweight as they do not over eat. I’ve just always had a pack of dogs this is how we always fed them and they learn the hierarchy amongst themselves. Works for us. I do pick the food up at 8 PM because I have a schnauzer that likes to go crunch on kibble in the middle of the night and it wakes me up! She needs to learn to eat during the daytime! Enjoy❤️

Our three big dogs are very food oriented. I feed one doberman Gunnar (male) in the house, one Aussie female Josie on the back porch, and the new female doberman Beretta 7 months old in her crate on the back porch. The Aussie has, from eight weeks felt all food is hers, but typically "leaned" over the other dogs to win.

However, she isn't the one I'm talking about. I feed Beretta in her crate first. Then I feed Josie - but as soon as I tell Josie sit and wait, Beretta starts barking loudly and rumbling - WHILE SHE IS EATING. I'd like tonip this in the bud. Any suggestions?

None of my dogs have ever been food motivated or excited about food or fight over food probably bc of the free feeding I do. Lol. Sometimes it makes it hard for them to do a trick to get a snack because they could care less!

I fed separately for several decades. When I first had two dogs, one would gobble down her food and start 'investigating' the one who wasn't finished, so that one would hurry up and gobble down his food. That's why I separate them so they're not anxious and hurried. When everyone is done, I release them and they investigate the others food bowls.

I currently have a 10 and a half year old red, a 3 year old black and a 8 year old Sheltie. The tiny Sheltie will duck in and steal a mouthful if she can. (She's funny because if she thinks someone is going to steal her food, she barks with her mouth full.) The red is slowing down in all areas, including eating. She went from the first finished to finishing long after the others are done.

I think it makes life safer because it lowers the risk of food bloat and they don't have an opportunity to fight over food.

I always fed fixed portions twice a day. I trial my dogs so want to keep their weight down so they don't injure joints and can move swiftly. Before we were married, my wife used to feed both her dogs who were littermates from a single bowl that was kept full all day. That seemed to work for her as her dogs weren't overweight and didn't fight over food. So there's many different options that work for people and their dogs.

Good luck finding your optimal situation!

Back