How bad is this? Ear posting

JustJon

Jr Member
Earlier today I noticed Vito scratching at his ear significantly more than he had been doing since he’s been getting them posted. I had to wait for my wife to make it back to unwrap and see what was going on… this is his left ear, as the right looks perfect.

I got it cleaned up, no more bleeding… I’m wanting to know should he see a vet? Is it safe to repost or leave it alone for a while? He is currently not posted as I wanted feedback before moving forward. Lastly was this a result of him scratching or something else? F6CFA494-21D8-4BDF-A80E-2A864C8CF669.jpeg

Attachments

• EA16C81D-9F9D-492D-A376-E423EE7728BF.jpeg
    EA16C81D-9F9D-492D-A376-E423EE7728BF.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 8
That does look pretty sore so I wouldn't tape over that area. It looks like tape irritation; what kind are you using again?

That does look pretty sore so I wouldn't tape over that area. It looks like tape irritation; what kind are you using again?
Hey Jan, I am using Zonas tape. However the tape is wrapped around the backer-rod with the sticky side out, where it can stick to Vitos ear

Hey all, thanks for the feedback so far. I'd been using Zonas tape... however the sticky side has been facing out, in order to stick to the inside of the pups ear. We also had put a sandwich back over the posting yesterday evening, and it stayed on there overnight and through most of today until we got the posting off. It had been raining all yesterday and a good portion of today. Perhaps that was another mistake I made, alongside having the tape facing outward and sticking to the ear? I feel terrible

It had been raining all yesterday and a good portion of today. Perhaps that was another mistake I made, alongside having the tape facing outward and sticking to the ear?
Don't feel terrible. Zona's is one of the recommended tapes for posting and so is back wrapping but my money is on it raining on them since it can cause a lot of damage as it dries and shrinks after it gets wet.

Earlier today I noticed Vito scratching at his ear significantly more than he had been doing since he’s been getting them posted. I had to wait for my wife to make it back to unwrap and see what was going on… this is his left ear, as the right looks perfect.

Looks like he scratched the mess out of it.

Learn to do the ears by yourself. You should not 'need' 2 people to do ear work.

SUoQhho.jpg

That and find some neosporin / antibiotic ointment and a cone to keep his feet away from his ears. After a while the dog forgets the cone is even there.

We also had put a sandwich back over the posting yesterday evening, and it stayed on there overnight and through most of today until we got the posting off.
Don't feel bad. Lessons learned! Just don't do this. You can put a bag on temporarily while he goes outside, then it must come off once inside. I think the bag trapped moisture from the air and from his body and then shrink wrapped the tape. Back taping is completely fine to do, it's one of the recommended ways to help keep posts in. So, bag only while he goes potty.

Sorry to tell but edges indicate necrotic tissue, which is mostly from cut off circulation- tape/wrap was too tight.

Tbh, feel lucky you caught it early. Folks have posted before with 1/2” of ear tips being completely black.

Keep the ears clean, get your some Vashe wound care cleaner or Vetericyn solution to help keep wounds clean and accelerate healing. I would also add antibiotic ointment.

Backtaping is fine and a lot of times needed to help keep the post in.

That’s awesome.

Ragnar had the same problem.
Sores on the edges of the ears.

Hard not to worry but if you looked at Rags ears now…you would never see it.

Are you posting now?

Are the ears folding over?

Because there is a way to safely post if you absolutely have to.

Are you posting now?

Are the ears folding over?

Because there is a way to safely post if you absolutely have to.
We’re not posting yet… it’s been about 3 days no posting. It’s wrecking my nerves. I’m hearing wait for scabs to fall of before posting again

I had the same issue as you when I got Ragnar. About 1/2" of the outside tip on both ears. They were both bloody and goey--close to infection.

I work in a hospital and I am pretty knowledgeable with wound care.

I kept posting because I did not want any time down and I did not want it exposed. He was so damn rough that he would have gotten dirt all in it.

Went to the drug store and got some 4x4 sterile gauze. I cleaned the wounds thoroughly with Vashe wound cleaner and then put Silvasorb gel on the ear wound and also on a cut out portion of a 4x4 gauze.
IMG_2711.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

When you put the back taped backerrod in the ear tape, tape the base around the ear first to secure it in the ear, then go up to the middle and tape that in-all the while going towards direction of ear fold.

This will help secure the backerrod in the ear while you fold the tip of the ear back and place half of the cut 4x4 on backerrod and then fold it over on top of the ear.
IMG_2713.JPG

Mind you that this piece of 4x4 gauze is not dry nor is the wound area. It is saturated with Silvasorb gel. Instead of Vashe wound cleaner- you can use Vetericyn. Instead of Silvasorb- you can use antibiotic ointment.

Check out this thread I posted.
Wound care solution/ointment

Wrap the area of the wound and fold it over like a taco, the wound is now covered and protected (the Silvasorb gel will help it heal). You can now tape over it and secure this area to the backerrod and not have to worry about it flopping or getting dirt on the exposed wound. Also, when I took the tape and 4x4 piece off for reposting, I was slow and careful, it did not pull at the wound area because the 4x4 was previously saturated with the gel.

Easy to say instructions but not that easy to do. Just stay calm, don't get frustrated--

Just have all the stuff laid out and ready. Be methodical and have a plan. It will get better as you do it.

I had the same issue as you when I got Ragnar. About 1/2" of the outside tip on both ears. They were both bloody and goey--close to infection.

I work in a hospital and I am pretty knowledgeable with wound care.

I kept posting because I did not want any time down and I did not want it exposed. He was so damn rough that he would have gotten dirt all in it.

Went to the drug store and got some 4x4 sterile gauze. I cleaned the wounds thoroughly with Vashe wound cleaner and then put Silvasorb gel on the ear wound and also on a cut out portion of a 4x4 gauze.
IMG_2711.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

When you put the back taped backerrod in the ear tape, tape the base around the ear first to secure it in the ear, then go up to the middle and tape that in-all the while going towards direction of ear fold.

This will help secure the backerrod in the ear while you fold the tip of the ear back and place half of the cut 4x4 on backerrod and then fold it over on top of the ear.
IMG_2713.JPG

Mind you that this piece of 4x4 gauze is not dry nor is the wound area. It is saturated with Silvasorb gel. Instead of Vashe wound cleaner- you can use Vetericyn. Instead of Silvasorb- you can use antibiotic ointment.

Check out this thread I posted.
Wound care solution/ointment

Wrap the area of the wound and fold it over like a taco, the wound is now covered and protected (the Silvasorb gel will help it heal). You can now tape over it and secure this area to the backerrod and not have to worry about it flopping or getting dirt on the exposed wound. Also, when I took the tape and 4x4 piece off for reposting, I was slow and careful, it did not pull at the wound area because the 4x4 was previously saturated with the gel.

Easy to say instructions but not that easy to do. Just stay calm, don't get frustrated--

Just have all the stuff laid out and ready. Be methodical and have a plan. It will get better as you do it.
Thank you as this is detailed and informative. I’m a visual learner and it seems as if you included pics, however, the links won’t load. I’ll try again on my laptop… either way I will move forward in a methodical and patient manner with the steps you mentioned

Back