1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Head tremor videos

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by JanS, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I hope your boy will be fine and that this is nothing serious!

2. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes, please give us an update after your Vet visit! Good luck!

3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I just wanted to say welcome and I hope your vet visit turns out okay. What you describe sounds just like this and in many cases it goes away with age.

4. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

Just read the thread and wanted to comment on the hypoglycemia. I have a Yorkie with this condition. Here's how it goes...she begins to shake, then it quickly progresses into spasms, body jerking spasms, then full on seizure. Full body seizure to the point where she cannot walk, loses her bowels and literally is screaming. It never progresses to this point because as soon as I see it starting, out comes the medicine syringe and she gets a dose of caro syrup. From the worst seizure she is back to normal within 10 minutes. I am not saying that's what is causing the tremors but maybe feeding smaller meals more often could help? Especially for a very active dog that may burn up their resources quickly; running around like maniacs in the yard :) . Caro syrup is quickly absorbed and inexpensive. The first time my yorkie had one the vet couldn't figure it out, said maybe brain tumor, that maybe we should put a shunt in her head...Glad I didn't listen to him!! My yorkie's problem is she would rather sleep than eat. I have to wake her up and make sure she eats and I feed her multiple times a day. Again, I am not saying this is what it is, but I know how scary it is to watch something happening to your baby and not knowing what to do. For those of you that give treats and they stop...are these treats high in sugar? ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Are you sure this is Head Tremors and not something like epilepsy? I had Poms for years and had a couple that would act like your Yorkie. I wish I knew about the sugar thing back then, I would have tried it. Head tremor or epilepsy, it may have helped, but their seizure sounds a lot like your description. I can't remember now if I actually had a diagnosis of epilepsy or if it was something I assumed simply because of the dogs actions. :scratch:

6. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

Hypoglycemia is very common in small dogs...mine is 2.5 lbs. Epilepsy and true Head tremors cannot be alleviated by sugar substitute. But it wouldn't hurt if diagnosis has not been confirmed. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. kitchentales

kitchentales New Member

My girl Kraken gets these head wobbles - she is 2 years old and it started about a year ago I guess now. We've been to our vet and everything seemed okay, so we're just watching it for now. She responds to my voice while it's happening and we can usually snap her out of it if we start playing with her and distract her in that way. Sometimes they are really mild, but she has had a couple that look like Thor's video, with the lip flapping and everything. I have a video somewhere too, not great quality though... if I find it I will upload it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RodneyE

RodneyE New Member

My Rockie only had slight head wobbles and it started about 6 months back, when it happens we usually distract him by giving some treats. He only gets them very rarely so I haven't consulted a vet yet but anyway thanks for sharing this information it really opened my eye.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NikiL02

NikiL02 Formerly Nlr02 $ Forum Donor $

Nero gets the head bobs... But they are just up and down like Boris's were and if he gets up and moves around they tend to stop. He has been getting them more frequently which bothers me (once a month.. sure... twice a week? wtf?) Vet said they'd normally happens when he's relaxed, which is true... He's generally lying down. But he does like to rest his chin on us and things, which makes me wonder if he's stabilizing himself?

Maybe I should write on a calendar when I see them so I can give the vet a notice saying how often they happen. She saw them at his last visit and that was her conclusion. I actually loathe to transfer him to the clinic I work at because they've been seeing him since he was a puppy, he loves to be there, and absolutely is enthralled with his vet and the techs. He's nervous at my work. Thankfully after his neuter he won't need to see the vet but once every 3 years.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brucie

Brucie New Member

Thank you for posting!!!
    I am new to the page and not a 100% sure where to post! But I had concerns about my pup doing this! He’s a year and a half and they only happen periodically and you are so right they scare me. They are usually subtle but the odd one he shakes a lot. The vet saw him doing it once and she checked him out and he was fine! I have read it is common but I was wonder if there is a point I should look into more help? Or I should just keep an eye on it since he’s still young!!

Thank you!
    This is a video of him doing it

11. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Brucie

Most likely these are Idiopathic which mean they don't know! Yes Dobes are known for these. Could be genetic.

Try and distract him with food or a treat to snap him out of it. Looks like it did when you said Who's Here!

They can be up or down or side to side.

She does stay alert and responds to you.

They start and stop spontaneously?

There are many other types of seizures. But lots of testing like CT or MRI or EEG.

If he got a clean bill of health maybe look for a Holistic/Integrative Vet that does acupuncture?

Also would try CBD Oil.

Personally also I would not give or use any topical or internal pesticides for fleas and ticks. These act on the nervous system of these critters! Who knows what it does to a dogs nervous system after a while????

I would try and do something about it now and not wait. But that's me!

Also something to think about
    Idiopathic Head Tremors FAQs and an Update - Oh My Dog!
    ohmydogblog.com/2016/01/idiopathic-head-tremors-faqs-and-an-update
    But in researching the head tremors, I read from an online vet, that rabies shots will exacerbate the condition, and cause tremors, which, unfortunately, has been true in my dog’s case. She had not had a head tremor in over a year…I asked the vet if they could give her less of a dose of the rabies shot, as she was due for her booster.

• Like Like x 2
  12. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I just posted in your other thread but you're right, it is scary.