Grabbing some lip

Gelcoater

Expert ThreadCrapper
$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
This new one is learning some rules, lol.
She and Sam play some bitey hand game.
Millie has tried playing with me.
I’m showing her I don’t play that game. Most people don’t.;)

So when she tried I grab some upper lip. And maybe a little cheek.
79932025-1AD6-46FD-A3F5-C8A6E2972DD1.jpeg

She’s a toothy one. :D
It may look like she’s being a snot, but she’s playing.
833223CA-CAE3-4318-A953-AA5BE5CDA07B.jpeg

Rocky knows the rules.
He chest bumped her a couple of times.

That's exactly how I teach NO TEETH ON ME. Never had a Dobe just not get it, however... this Dalmatian... it was all in the game. WRONG. I squeezed her lip a bit harder with a little growl, she hasn't done it since.

We do the same to teach "no teeth".....but ya gotta be ready for the nip....I'm always a little leery to explain this method to people looking for ways to stop nipping....cuz there's always a chance of a hard nip.....and freaking out over the nip...may bring on a real bite..over a nip.

Rocky knows the rules.
He chest bumped her a couple of times.

Does Rocky correct her, often?

Mo does this with Bam....when he knows Bam is in trouble over something...it's a chest bump kind of thing...or a slight body slam..like
"HEY...you know better!"

Everyone who handles them...from vet/staff and the people at daycare always comment on how when they correct Bam..Mo will come along and thump on him.....but it never goes the other way around..LOL...Mo gets corrected and Bam just turns around and heads away.

I always curled the lip under/into the mouth on to the teeth so that she would be biting her own lip. I would just up the pressure if she closed her tried to close her mouth and nip. She learned pretty quickly.

I always curled the lip under/into the mouth on to the teeth so that she would be biting her own lip. I would just up the pressure if she closed her tried to close her mouth and nip. She learned pretty quickly.

This is my method exactly. With “NO BITE” even if it was just teeth on skin. Did that from day one with DeSoto, he learned from 9/10 weeks that nipping was no fun anymore lol. Haven’t had a mouthing or nipping problem since.

Interesting. I've never tried that method but it makes sense.

This method was the ONLY one that stopped Jazzies nipping altogether. It's not always easy to get the hold, but you get crafty about watching out of the corner of your eye when you know a nip is coming!

This is my method exactly. With “NO BITE” even if it was just teeth on skin. Did that from day one with DeSoto, he learned from 9/10 weeks that nipping was no fun anymore lol. Haven’t had a mouthing or nipping problem since.
I did this exactly with Daisy in her puppy phase.
This one, she’s a little different.
There isn’t as much lip/flue to curl for starters, lol.

And, she’s not “biting” just mouthing. No pressure at all but I still feel wetness and tooth, so I grab a little lip:D

I did this exactly with Daisy in her puppy phase.
This one, she’s a little different.
There isn’t as much lip/flue to curl for starters, lol.

And, she’s not “biting” just mouthing. No pressure at all but I still feel wetness and tooth, so I grab a little lip:D

Haha! That complicates things for sure. But kudos to your finding a solution bc I’m not sure I’d have thought of that, lol.

Back