Games with your dogs!

Ravenbird

Moderator
$ Forum Donor $
Our kennel club had our first (hopefully annual) Dog Play Day. Several hours of playing silly games for fun and prizes. What an incredible day of fun and laughter for everyone. For those of you who belong to local dog clubs or even informal groups, these are great ideas for a day of fun that involves the dogs, and obviously a little bit of training background, but all contests were voluntary- you could just watch the whole day if you wanted. Probably at least 20 dogs were there!

Since we met at the agility field there was a "how many can you do" in 40 seconds. There was a novice & advanced section and you just went in with your dog to see how many you could complete in 40 seconds.

Then a spoon race where you had a small potato balanced on a spoon (no holding it down with your thumb!) while heeling the dog, do a 365 circle at the center line, heel further then a 180 and come back. 4 - 5 teams went off at the same time.

Then a cup of water filled to the brim, heel the dog to the center where you do a left about turn and the dog goes right. You manage your glass of water however you want to, as this Rally move requires moving the leash from hand to hand! Since one hand was holding the water, I opted to drop my leash completely then pick it back up on my continued heel. At the turn-around point you had to ask your dog to come front/sit/stay, walk around then heel back to the finish line. Your water cup was measured after your run to determine who returned with the most water still I their cup. Here's what a Left-About-Turn looks like, switching the leash hand as the dog goes around:


There was another exercise full of Rally exercises but instead of signs they were called out as everyone heeled their dog in a huge circle.

And Musical Chairs - All heeling their dogs in a big circle while music plays, when music stops you stop and down your dog. Last dog to lay down gets eliminated and music starts up again. There were about 15 dogs to start and we made it to 3rd place. J & Reckless won. Reckless has the most spectacular natural down elbows first followed by her butt.

And a 2-team race: dog-person-person-dog, people have arms linked and the 4 move together weaving 3 cones.

Here's Asha & me doing the spoon race. Did I ever mention how she loves to bark? She decided I was taunting her with something in my hand so she started barking at it non-stop. I was sure if I didn't stop laughing I was going to drop my potato, but we made it.

.

I'll try to get more on YouTube or at least a couple of screen shots of those other exercises...
 
So much fun! OMG I'd be bent over laughing at Asha's excitement- a picture tells a thousand words so a video must be 10x that...NOW I really grok what you have written about her!😉🤣

Side query, not OT but related:
For y'all- Is this a national trend especially since COVID for the younger generations looking for meetups, sportsparks, SniffSpots and other dog specific fun stuff in a free market way thats

NOT formally tied into purebred only collecting points, titles, ribbons?

I'm hearing of this in SoCal, seems a trend but not that dialed in...a market opportunity for sure. I think the old school German dog club with a beerhouse for families coming to do sport is wonderful.

Once upon a time I did Hash House Harriers- a drinking club with a running problem.
 
Was this open to the public to come join in or just for club members this time?
All members. I think two invited guests that were interested in club activities and had brought their dogs to a training day, which we require one or two visits with them & their dogs before they can apply for membership. But no people dogs from the wilds would be considered. Too many unknowns, people who don't have control of their dogs etc etc. Its purpose is to have a fun day for all club members no matter what they are doing in training. :thumbsup:

For y'all- Is this a national trend especially since COVID for the younger generations looking for meetups, sportsparks, SniffSpots and other dog specific fun stuff in a free market way thats

NOT formally tied into purebred only collecting points, titles, ribbons
This is an AKC dog club without the higher status of being able to put on an actual AKC show or trial. Not positive, but I think the insurance required for holding public events by AKC standards is a big issue, plus being in a town well off any beaten path would not likely draw many entries. So we have a 2nd tier club. We have two evaluators so we can offer CGC, CGCA, CGCU and Trick Dog but that is all. Probably, I'll guess a third or more of the dogs are not purebred, maybe only 1/4 of us trial in sports. I don't think any do conformation, but could be wrong there. A PAL dog recently achieved her RACH - a tippy-top of achievements in Rally! Most just come to train together and have fun with their dogs.

LOL, I'm too old to know what the younger people trends are. 😅 But many of us in the club are older and retired or older and still working. There are more younger people than we use to have, and there is a bright young boy about 9 or 10 who works with his dog.
 
All members. I think two invited guests that were interested in club activities and had brought their dogs to a training day, which we require one or two visits with them & their dogs before they can apply for membership. But no people dogs from the wilds would be considered. Too many unknowns, people who don't have control of their dogs etc etc. Its purpose is to have a fun day for all club members no matter what they are doing in training. :thumbsup:


This is an AKC dog club without the higher status of being able to put on an actual AKC show or trial. Not positive, but I think the insurance required for holding public events by AKC standards is a big issue, plus being in a town well off any beaten path would not likely draw many entries. So we have a 2nd tier club. We have two evaluators so we can offer CGC, CGCA, CGCU and Trick Dog but that is all. Probably, I'll guess a third or more of the dogs are not purebred, maybe only 1/4 of us trial in sports. I don't think any do conformation, but could be wrong there. A PAL dog recently achieved her RACH - a tippy-top of achievements in Rally! Most just come to train together and have fun with their dogs.

LOL, I'm too old to know what the younger people trends are. 😅 But many of us in the club are older and retired or older and still working. There are more younger people than we use to have, and there is a bright young boy about 9 or 10 who works with his dog.
Thats great that you have both structure and reducuced liability plus flexibility - sounds like a good place to start for any mixed breed puppy or unregistered rescue- just get the PAL or Canine Partners and you can earn points and ribbons if thats of interest.

If you wanna wait for best health on dobe girls ie "two years before spay" just plan to submit then for PAL or CP. Uncut males ; find something else to do, I guess.
---
Nice thing about structured competition is its a fair third party validation of the teamwork.
Same as horse shows, sailing, etc etc.

And at a local level the politics and culture is a better match for a functional hobby thats a reflection of local culture, functional dog needs.

Thats my $0.02 and YMMV,
With no hidden meaning intended as to the rest. Huge respect for breeders and owners who show and trial purebred to the top as well.

I'll do a little looking again at the other "outside of AKC " fun stuff I saw springing up a couple years ago. And share if useful.
 
Obviously Asha had a terrible time. How could you taunt her with a potato like that? 😂😂

Seriously, this looks like a such a fun way to practice and enforce skills but in a low "risk" scenario (which dogs can always read). The laughing with friends always makes it better, too 😁
 
I read a while back about a new dog sport that I think is like doing an Escape Room, but with your dog. Can't remember the name of it. Lots of it in the northeast I think. It looks like so much fun!
I know it's OT but I was fascinated by this and had never heard of it. I looked into it and the governing body is WCERA if anyone wants to look it up and learn more. It looks really interesting and challenging to me. They have a whole sport of it! It challenges both the dog and handler in order to escape.
 
I know it's OT but I was fascinated by this and had never heard of it. I looked into it and the governing body is WCERA if anyone wants to look it up and learn more. It looks really interesting and challenging to me. They have a whole sport of it! It challenges both the dog and handler in order to escape.
Yes, that's it! It's like a melding of all kinds of obedience exercises, nosework, agility, all rolled into one fun game, actually making use of what the handler/dog team is doing with all of these different sports. I'm surprised it hasn't really taken off yet.
 
I know it's OT but I was fascinated by this and had never heard of it. I looked into it and the governing body is WCERA if anyone wants to look it up and learn more. It looks really interesting and challenging to me. They have a whole sport of it! It challenges both the dog and handler in order to escape.
I looked it up and here is the brief descripton.

What is WCERA?​

It's escape rooms with your dog that focus on both the dog and handler having to complete tasks. For example, the dog may need to correctly identify a scented article (birch), then the handler must solve a puzzle in order to “escape”. Or the dog must retrieve an item, then the handler must untie a knotted item in order to “escape”. In another game the handler must solve a riddle that is missing a word, then choose between 2 obstacles and have their dog perform the correct task based on the missing word. Picture this: There is a small jump and a floor mat (2 obstacles); the riddle is “The cow jumped _____ the moon”; The missing word is “over”, so the handler would send their dog “over” the jump to “escape”. There are several different games offered. Games offered are scent-based, retrieval based, rat based, obedience based & tracking based.

For more information, click here.
 
I'm surprised it hasn't really taken off yet.
I looked and couldn't find any clubs that weren't Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and north of there. Of course, I may not have been looking in the right places, that's just what I found. I haven't read all the rules, but I imagine you have to have participated in trials in order to start one. I think it would be popular in the cold part of the midwest, if it was available.
 
I looked it up and here is the brief descripton.

What is WCERA?​

It's escape rooms with your dog that focus on both the dog and handler having to complete tasks. For example, the dog may need to correctly identify a scented article (birch), then the handler must solve a puzzle in order to “escape”. Or the dog must retrieve an item, then the handler must untie a knotted item in order to “escape”. In another game the handler must solve a riddle that is missing a word, then choose between 2 obstacles and have their dog perform the correct task based on the missing word. Picture this: There is a small jump and a floor mat (2 obstacles); the riddle is “The cow jumped _____ the moon”; The missing word is “over”, so the handler would send their dog “over” the jump to “escape”. There are several different games offered. Games offered are scent-based, retrieval based, rat based, obedience based & tracking based.

For more information, click here.
Wow, that looks like serious fun!
 
In re my hypothesis of "changes post COVID ...less breed club organized more community vibe", its a mix of new and revitalized old

Of the post-2020 boom sports, the ones that are not AKC programs are NACSW nose work, Barn Hunt, DockDogs/NADD, and UpDog. Fast CAT and Trick Dog are AKC-only.

The one I heard about a couple years ago in San Diego is described here:

Here's another up north:

Couple equestrian centers newly hosting dog sport, Del Mar Fairgrounds/Track

And out east
 

Back
Top