• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Food Help

DocReverto

Formerly CRD
Hey everybody long time no talk :)

I have been running into some food issues with the pups lately and wanted to see what everyone is using that is reasonably priced for 30-40 lbs. We have 6-7 dogs at any given time now with all the fosters. Dobies have been having extreme gas issues and I'm starting to suspect that the Purina Sensitive Skin & Stomach is the cause. I know this is obviously not the highest quality food but with fostering its just too expensive to feed all of them with something like Acana. I've been feeding the same thing for the past 5 years, and if I'm being honest I really don't follow dog sports/conformation like I used to so I have no idea what's new and improved out there right now.

Update on us....
Recently engaged (again), lets hope this one works out lol. We have been doing a lot of fostering/rescue work lately. I stopped showing conformation as some of you know. Really just wasn't interested in any of the dog sports or the drama that comes with them. Ended up leaving all the breed clubs. I just wanted to spend time with my babies and do my own thing.

Raven is just about to turn 10 and he is living his best life. Retired on the couch gloating about his old days of conformation. Zero health issues, and he's honestly in the best shape. He had a couple teeth pulled last week since one broke, but other than that I am very happy with how he is doing.

Crow unfortunately passed away last year unexpectedly. She developed bloat and subsequently GDV in the middle of the night before I could catch it. By the time I woke up she was in extreme pain and I made the difficult decision to euthanize her. This one was a pretty tough blow.

Jolene is still a wild idiot. Very energetic and loving life. I've fully accepted that she just has the energy levels of a 13 year old boy that just drank 1000 mg of caffeine.

Berlin is also doing well. She recently developed bloat/GDV (this is where the food change comes in. Think there is a pattern here). Thankfully I caught it in time, she had a successful surgery, and is at home recovering well. She will be 8 in a couple weeks, and is still just as sweet as some of you old timers on this page remember.

We just added a new permanent. Failed foster. 11 year old female that has wobblers. Not sure how much time she has left but I'm going to give her a good home until that point.

Hard to post photos from the last 4 years but here are some cute ones.

Attachments

• IMG_1351.jpg
    IMG_1351.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1354.jpg
    IMG_1354.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail_IMG_1352.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1352.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail_IMG_1355.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1355.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail_IMG_1356.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1356.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 13
I've heard a lot of dobe and non Dobe owners having issues with pro plan lately due to a formula change. Sounds like that is what you are experiencing! I feed Ripley Wellness complete health, purple bag, grain inclusive for about $56. She does very well on it. She was put on it to correct knuckling issues and has been on it since. I don't notice any gas hardly at all so I'm happy.

Welcome back! So sorry to hear about the loss of Crow. That's how Ripley's grandmother passed. Sounds like you have a full house that makes sure to keep you busy!

I've heard a lot of dobe and non Dobe owners having issues with pro plan lately due to a formula change. Sounds like that is what you are experiencing! I feed Ripley Wellness complete health, purple bag, grain inclusive for about $56. She does very well on it. She was put on it to correct knuckling issues and has been on it since. I don't notice any gas hardly at all so I'm happy.

Welcome back! So sorry to hear about the loss of Crow. That's how Ripley's grandmother passed. Sounds like you have a full house that makes sure to keep you busy!
I actually reached out to Proplan. I think they are going to cover a portion of Berlin's surgery. From the sounds of it my breeder had the exact same issue bloat/GDV that took one of her dogs.
After Crow I chalked that up to a one off bloat by god knows what. Two dogs in a row and none of my fosters have that issue (cheaper food), I think that's too much of a pattern to ignore.

Nice to see you again Matt and I'm so sorry to hear about Crow.

I really dislike it when a brand you know and trust changes the ingredient list without you knowing about it.
Recently engaged (again)
Congratulations on that!

Thanks Jan. Was a tough blow, but the kids are all getting old so I better get used to it. Just hoping now Raven hits that 10 year milestone without issue.

Wow, a dog food causing bloat issues? Wonder what ingredient(s) are causing this. I hope you will be able to get some reimbursement from Proplan - 2 dogs is beyond a coincidence.

Looks like you have a pretty happy pack there, nice pics!

Wow, a dog food causing bloat issues? Wonder what ingredient(s) are causing this. I hope you will be able to get some reimbursement from Proplan - 2 dogs is beyond a coincidence.

Looks like you have a pretty happy pack there, nice pics!
Just heard back from Proplan, sounds like they are going to cover quite a bit of this.

Back