Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Fed up with my dog and his diarrhea(PICS)

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by jenniferwb0431, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Drogon

Drogon Hot Topics Subscriber

Has this worked as well for you as it has for my boy? I ended up adding 1tsp per 1/4 cup of kibble.

2. Dawg 1419

Dawg 1419 Hot Topics Subscriber

Idk yet. We are on day two. Last night I would say no. But it was only 2 feedings. I will report back in a few days.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Max Hawk

Max Hawk Hot Topics Subscriber

I am really sorry your having so much trouble with this.. and your pup too.. he doesn't look sick ..I had a problem similar with a Doberman and he ended up having an auto-immune disease he had diarrhea from the time we brought him home as a puppy ..after trying steroids he died before the age of four.. that being said I would for sure follow a vets advice and if your not getting results then look for a different vet.. someone had to graduate last in their class. I hope you can get it solved ..he looks that a really sweet guy. Pumpkin is supposed to help a bit with diarrhea but of course this sure seems to go farther than just a passing upset. Hang in there and don't give up on him ;)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Sit-rep??

5. Dawg 1419

Well after 6 feedings I’m disappointed. Had a major setback tonight. Pure water and nothing has changed. Same food, pumpkin, and dier eze. If anything it’s worse tonight as she went in the crate when we went to dinner. And right before we left she went out to do her business and did it. Guess I shouldn’t count my chickens before they hatch. Unbelievable

• Empathetic Empathetic x 5
  6. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

The pumpkin is a diarrhea treatment and so is diar eze, I’d eliminate the pumpkin and see if that sorts her out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Too much pumpkin can have the opposite effect! So yes I would try one thing at a time. I really think its beyond a pumpkin fix.
    And a second opinion from a different Vet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I still say you should go to a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice and give limited portions at a time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. strykerdobe

Maybe a 24hr fast then the boiled chicken and white rice?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Skippy22

Skippy22 New Member

disclaimer: I'm not a dog doctor. I'm a bioethics/micro major.

I stopped using probiotics a few years ago, and made the upgrade to kefir.

I tried a couple different methods and I prefer the powdered culture starter from the health food store compared to using live/active kefir grains. I used to have a source for raw cow's milk, that made the best tasting for humans, imo. But they sold their cow.

The great part for a dog, is that the kefir bacteria feeds on the lactose, so kefir can be made to be like 99.9% lactose free. Or, you can use coconut milk, or almond milk or coconut water. The Lifeway brand is lactose free too.
    The benefit of kefir compared to probiotic supplements is the live population of different bacteria and yeasts. They latch on to the gut better, and they're not in yogurt or supplements. The doggy's pewp doesn't look super watery or look like it contains mucous or blood, but I wouldn't rule out a large intestine issue based on that.

--but from a (human) micro POV, after a CBC, and a blood allergy panel (don't know if they do that for goggies?), I'd start a regimen of corticosteroids that targets the ileum and the colon before I started working on a possible small intestine issue. If there is a bacterial infection like diverticulitis, the metronidazole should take care of it ---so that is good, it's a good AB for intestinal infections. I'd try to rule out every large intestine issue first because they're easier to treat, often temporary, and have a better outcome.

Someone mentioned a pancreatic enzyme deficiency, that could be a possibility. An enzyme deficiency could be causing Dog to not properly digest food and absorb nutrients. The feces would show higher levels of fats and oils, noticeable in the underwear (or carpet in this case). But there would be a reduced appetite and noticeable weight loss. But dogs eat cat shit because they think it tastes good, so I don't know if that matters..

Active with a good appetite and maintaining/gaining weight makes me lean more towards a colon issue like and inflamed/irritable bowel (or colitis in humans).

I'd do a steroid and a butt scope.

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. strykerdobe

Yes all the store bought kefir and yogurt is pasteurized. This is why I use the Raw Goats milk, Fermented Cow kefir and Fermented Fish Stock, all from Answers Pet Foods. We also rotate with them every week.

12. Dawg 1419

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 3
  13. Skippy22

Skippy22 New Member

So this is just my experience.. I’m only an undergrad, and this is an ongoing project in my school’s micro lab.

I use the same powdered starter, but two variables with the milk.
    I used pasteurized and raw cow.
    When I start and grow the cultures with the pastuerized milk, that gives me a pretty good baseline of bacteria.

When I start out and grow in raw milk, the bacteria numbers are through have about 35,000 more ppm. But then they die off after about 24 hours. My conclusion is that the raw milk brings its own established bacteria and yeasts into the experiment, that they compete with the kefir cultures and destroy them.

The best results I’ve had, is to start off the powder in pasteurized milk, get the cultures established, then slowly add small amounts of raw milk over a course of a couple batches.

My hypothesis is that we need to start off with baby cultures, and have to feed them clean baby food (pasteurized milk) until they become a hungry angry little army. Only then are they able to process the lactose in raw milk with becoming destroyed. Once the colony is established, the evolved cultures can handle straight milk.

I won’t have this project finished until the end of next semester, but I think i have a pretty good handle on it, it’s repeatable, and I’ve been getting the same results so far.

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. Izzy’s Mom

Izzy’s Mom Jr Member

May I ask what vaccinations you were saying no to?

15. Izzy’s Mom

Izzy’s Mom Jr Member

I went and read about the Probios Intelliflora. Was thinking I’d like to have something on hand. One review said the product is 40% sugar. True or false, good or bad?

16. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

As soon as I read your initial post I though EPI. Please get him checked. If he does have this no amount of food supplements or diet changes will fix it. You will need to sprinkle enzyme onto his food so that his body can absorb the nutrients.

17. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I said no to everything :) We did titer tests which showed he still had antibodies. Here’s the thread:
    Our first annual vet check up

• Like Like x 1
  18. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I wish. :( She hasn't been back since December of 2018. We are all going to wonder what happened to the little guy. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Georgina

Georgina Lurking Member

Can someone please Advise what EPI stands for

20. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) in Dogs
    If the pancreas fails to produce enough of these digestive enzymes, exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, or EPI, develops. EPI may affect a dog's gastrointestinal system, as well as general nutrition, and can cause problems such as weight loss and chronic diarrhea.

• Agree Agree x 1