Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Fed up with my dog and his diarrhea(PICS)

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by jenniferwb0431, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

No shots! Not right now. Call back and request it not be done.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

Also - prescription food is garbage.

Yes, dogs with EPI generally look malnourished. But there are always exceptions and it takes time for them to hit that point.

I'd find a good, limited ingredient diet with an unusual protein source. Filtered/bottled water only. No treats. Zignature kangaroo would be my first suggestion ... I dont think I've ever heard of a dog having a kangaroo allergy (not saying it's not possible, but I think it would be really rare). Whereas poultry is a fairly common allergen.

Definitely add a probiotic supplement. And I would find a new vet who is willing to test for EPI.

How many times has he been wormed now? I would be extremely hesitant to work again unless testing indicated an actual need. Wormers are poison, a sometimes necessary poison, but poison none the less. I'd also not give anything for fleas or ticks at this time.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That picture.....

He got into something to eat.

Mine eats EVERYTHING!!!

You really have to watch him all the time or put him in the crate.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

NO VACCINATION! Dogs that are vaccinated whilst being ill are at a higher risk of having an adverse reaction. He’s currently compromised and I’m in total shock that they would even contemplate it.

And worming again? Seriously??

• Agree Agree x 8
  5. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

NO on the DISTEMPER SHOT!!!!!!!!! ONLY Healthy animals should get a vaccine!!!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::wtf::wtf::wtf:

Find a new Vet!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  6. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

I wonder...

when feeding raw, the sodium content in meat is a very big deal. if it's over 100mg/serving, it's a no go for dog food. I would check your chicken. Not sure how that translates when cooked but could be exasperating his issues. Are you getting raw and cooking it or getting the rotisserie stuff and feeding him that?

You should look into insurance - if he does end up getting diagnosed with something more complicated, you'll be glad you have it. I would start looking now before he gets too many tests done and they can call it 'pre-existing.'

Hope you figure something out!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. jenniferwb0431

jenniferwb0431 New Member

They already gave it to him :( :(
    Definitely will be doing that. If my puppy ends up more sick, my vet is going to hear it from me. I’m worried now :(

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  8. strykerdobe

:poop: Sorry to hear this! You need to find a new Vet.

Watch him if he is acting different gets lethargic, check his gums for color, they should not be white. The best way to check is with his mouth closed, lift his lip up and look at his upper gum.

I would BITCH at him anyway! Ask him if he has ever read the instructions that come with a vaccine? It's right there in the instructions! Only Healthy Animal Should Be Vaccinated!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

That last poo pic definitley shows something in there. It looks like macaroni or Chiclets gum? Is he getting into human food? Or going through a trash bin? Of all the scary things this can be, it is hopefully and possibly something very simple that you haven't thought of. Go through your house just to be sure. Maybe a box of cookies under a child's bed?

I see in your other pics that there are lots of small toys around. You just can't trust a puppy to not swallow things.

image.jpeg

My boy also had loose stools for a long time. The Doberman tummy is just very sensitive and a lot of people come here seeking help for exactly this, so take a deep breath. You're not doing a bad job and the dog is not unhappy, he is just mirroring your feelings.

I think you should start with the suggestions above. Go through the comments one more time and take notes on paper. Then stick with that routine and he should start getting better. No variations.

Once you get your dog back, just cut back on vet visits. I think the excessive worming treatments are just a cash grab and unnecessary. Sometimes vets make our dogs worse, I know that sounds crazy, but we have all experienced it. Unless it's an emergency, your best bet is to sort him out at home.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

They look good until they don’t, most likely hasn’t had enough time to be malnourished yet. Is this vet dewormer and antibiotic crazy?!?
    Let’s just go ahead and strip his gut of good bacteria oh and yeah let’s get him on a POS Prescription Diet. Gotta push that science diet.
    Annnnnd let’s go ahead and vaccinate. It doesn’t matter that vaccines are for TOTALLY HEALTHY dogs, let’s do it cause hell he already has diarrhea and vomiting so let’s just load him up and make him totally miserable.
    I am ticked off...guess I shouldn’t post when I get like this.
    Sorry for the rant but this is infuriating!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I let my Vet read this thread and what the other Vet is doing for treatment.
    He had a few words to say about it and they were not positive.

The vaccinations while having diarrhea and vomiting really pissed Doc off.
    Also the deworming AGAIN. He said you cannot continually sterilize the gut with anthelminitics or you make the pup worse. The gut needs to be replenished with a good probiotic and he said all dogs with EPI do not always look malnourished as it is progressive with weight loss and poor body scores.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dawg 1419

Dawg 1419 Hot Topics Subscriber

Our girl went through the same exact thing. Her stools would get softer as the day went. We’ve also experienced the runs all day. Got it normal for a day and back to the runs. Bear with your dobbie. The antibiotics will keep it runny.

What we did.

1. Limt food 2 measured cups am 2 measured cups pm.
    2. Added a tablespoon of pumkin (not pie filler) with each feeding.
    3. Outside for bathroom breaks every hr. And right after eating. We finally have her on a schedule. I also have a place if she has to poop, she will in this area.
    4. Do not change anything for weeks. Same routine day in day out.
    5. I added a probiotic every morning and she has a months supply.
    6. I also add a few drops of apple cyder vinager with the mother to help grow good bacteria in gut. Helping fert the probiotics.
    7. We only gave her water with electrolytes. That seem to me ( maybe coincidence) to be her turning moment.

As of today I received so diar eze. I will start adding this in her food twice a day.

Good luck

• Like Like x 6
  13. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

Right?! I really can't understand the "they look malnouslrished" comment. It's not like they just wake up one day thin as a rail with EPI. It's a process. Perhaps most don't get diagnosed until they look malnourished, but that doesnt mean the issue wasn't present well before.

As others have stated - definitely time for a new vet. This one is catastrophically failing your pup.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. C908

C908 Member

It's very disturbing to think you can't trust some vets. You reach a point where you don't know where to go. One vet gets your money but doesn't solve the problem so you try someone else spend more money and still don't have the problem solved. In the mean time you watch your dog suffer and try to figure out your next move. Its very upsetting I understand how she feels.

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

@jenniferwb0431

I don’t have much to contribute to your situation other than to extend a warm welcome to Doberman Chat.

Where’s @Oh Little Oji ?
    If I remember right Tad had some issues with his boy Oji and loose stools early on.
    Perhaps he can share.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Equally disturbing is that the vet is taking guesses at my expense. I would sooner trust the "guess work" of experienced owners. Vets really need to be led. My vet wanted to give all these vaccinations during Kaisers last checkup. I went in prepared to say no to each one and he agreed that the majority of them were not needed! Yet he was not about to volunteer that info to me. I think vets are spoiled. Their patients can't talk and the owners are forced to just trust them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Unfortunately it was not just early on. At nearing 4 1/2 years of age, Oji still has the stool problems and trouble with being too thin.

I've tried several different foods, probiotics, pumpkin, oh I forget all the things I've tried. I've long since given up. I believe there is a simple, natural solution out there but I am not motivated to pursue it any further. Oji, aside from being skinny, seems very healthy and vibrant in every way. His coat is very shiny, he is very energetic and he is very strong.

I have consulted the vet about it a few times. I don't have much faith in my vet at all. Seems they just offer typical general information and don't have any real insights. Yes, they prescribed some medication and their prescription food. I respectfully rejected it all, paid my bill and left with no answers or solutions.

All that said, I will say that Oji does not have diahrea (I never know how to spell that). What you are getting on the floors of your house is pretty bad. You have my sympathy.

Oji just has loose stools. The biggest problem with this is that when I take him out on some of our longer walks/runs, he produces poop after poop and each one is less firm than the other. The 3rd, 4th, or 5th ones are indeed runny and squirted out. It's embarrassing and, really, unclean as he squirts on the sidewalks. I feel like telling people "He's not sick!"

• Empathetic Empathetic x 5
  18. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Any updates? This little dude has weighed heavy on my mind.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  19. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of food are you feeding him? What have you tried in the 7 weeks and how did you transition?

I highly suggest trying some slippery elm as someone has already mentioned. It did wonders for multiple dogs that I know of, even for mine who once had complete water diarrhea suddenly. It's cheap too ($20 or so) and you only have to give when he is experiencing tummy aches. It won't resolve the problem, but it will soothe his tummy in the mean time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. strykerdobe

Also dug this up.
    Try an use Organic Slippery Elm

4C3B08F1-CB68-4FF6-BBA2-32200AF2BBBF.jpeg

How To Use Healing Clay For Dogs - dogsnaturallymagazine.com
    https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/healing-clay-for-dogs
    [Related] There are more reasons why bentonite clay is good for your dog! Click here to check them out. 2. Montmorillonite. Montmorillonite is popularly known as French green clay. This type of clay is perfect to consume internally because it rapidly detoxifies and disinfects the body.

Clay For Pets - Dr. Alfred Plechner
    drplechner.com/learn/clay-for-pets
    Download this FREE chapter from a new E-Book by Earth's Natural Clay, "Montmorillonite Clay - An Amazing Gift From The Earth", written by Dr. Plechner. Treating Diarrhea in Dogs Since clay is a known treatment for diarrhea in humans, it follows that it would work similarly for dogs.

• Informative Informative x 2