Ear posting issues

kcrossan

Hi all, we’re desperate need of advice. We got our dobies ears cropped at almost 13weeks old. The vet told us to keep them on for 5 days straight and rest for 1 day. At 7 months we stopped the vet advice and just kept leaving them on and only breathe for like 30 mins.

He’s just turned 9 months this week and his ears are still not standing on their own regularly. Only when he alert or bends down. Otherwise they flop. We got the long crop when we we should have gone medium crop.

Here’s a few pics of him, please help 🙏

Attachments

• ED0CB482-5537-44A7-A064-281918A05714.jpeg
    ED0CB482-5537-44A7-A064-281918A05714.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 9F854F5B-303F-423D-8706-5EF2E02DC305.jpeg
    9F854F5B-303F-423D-8706-5EF2E02DC305.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 17
Oh its good you stopped listening to the vet to leave them out for a day, that is way too long! Since he went so long like that, I would keep posting. You have to believe and keep posting to make any ground for the months of posting and letting him sleep on them. If they stand when he is alert there is still some hope but you absolutely can't leave them out any longer than 15-20 min to dry.

Oh it’s good you stopped listening to the vet to leave them out for a day, that is way too long! Since he went so long like that, I would keep posting. You have to believe and keep posting to make any ground for the months of posting and letting him sleep on them. If they stand when he is alert there is still some hope but you absolutely can't leave them out any longer than 15-20 min to dry.
🙌🏻 we have hope. Thank you.

I think you still have a chance for them to stand. Sometimes the longer show crops take a year. It's too bad this isn't discussed more with the puppy owners who don't intend to show, so many would opt for the medium crop if they knew. You sound determined and that helps immensely - you can get this done! Welcome to Doberman Chat!

Long crops can take 12 to 18 months of posting for them to stand. Post them for 3 days, take them out clean the ears and let them dry. The posts should stay out for only an hour and then immediately post them again. Don't assume that because the ears stand for that hour, that you are done posting, as they will probably flop after a day or two. It takes patience and consistency but if you stick with it the odds are very much in your favor! Vets rarely know the correct timing of posting ears. Read everything you can on this site about ear posting. Stick with it! You got this!
:welcome: from Wisconsin!

I think you still have a chance for them to stand. Sometimes the longer show crops take a year. It's too bad this isn't discussed more with the puppy owners who don't intend to show, so many would opt for the medium crop if they knew. You sound determined and that helps immensely - you can get this done! Welcome to Doberman Chat!
Seriously, if we knew this ahead of time we would have gone medium crop definitely. Appreciate the kind words. I’m not giving up.

Long crops can take 12 to 18 months of posting for them to stand. Post them for 3 days, take them out clean the ears and let them dry. The posts should stay out for only an hour and then immediately post them again. Don't assume that because the ears stand for that hour, that you are done posting, as they will probably flop after a day or two. It takes patience and consistency but if you stick with it the odds are very much in your favor! Vets rarely know the correct timing of posting ears. Read everything you can on this site about ear posting. Stick with it! You got this!
:welcome: from Wisconsin!

Seriously, if we knew this ahead of time we would have gone medium crop definitely. Appreciate the kind words. I’m not giving up.
Long crops can take longer but they also can be done just as soon after teething like any other crop. I think your issue was leaving them out for an entire day based on what the vet said and then him sleeping on them. Every time they fall and smash them it is a HUGE set back!

Yes keep posting. Vets give terrible advice on posting and every time they flop it sets you back a couple weeks.

Back