Dog Seat Belt Harness

HappyJoe

Hot Topics Subscriber
Has anyone used these?
Do you think they are as safe or safer than an airline crate in the back? We have a compact SUV (Mazda CX5) and it seems kinda slidey for the crate.
If Joe was secured to the seat-belt while laying down in the back seat it seems like that would be safer. Opinions please!

If my car could fit a crate thats what I would use. I would strap it in even if it required me to drill fittings into the floor. But there is no way for a crate to fit my sedan. If you go with a seatbelt harness just do research on whether they are crash tested. There are some cheapies out there.

My thought is in worst case scenario (like a roll over) the dog is confined to the crate. Maybe that will even protect him from flying debris like glass or metal. Wonder if they make padded crates for car travel? Hm

A crate is the safest option. But if you have to go with a seatbelt go with a crash tested seatbelt. There are companies that will make crates to fit whatever size you need. Your car crate will be much smaller than at home for safety and fit reasons. You want it just large enough for them to be able to curl up in. TNC crates will custom make. There is a facebook group for car set ups and a lot of people make it work, even with sedans and large dogs!

Other good crates are ruffland, gunner, variocage transk9 and more. I know you asked about seatbelts but a crate will protect them in a rollover and from flying debris. No one plans to get in an accident but unfortunately it happens. We have a soft side crate for keeping Ripley contained but I need to upgrade to something more serious to keep her actually protected, so thank you for reminding me.

I believe Ruffwear has a crash tested harness. Another one I've heard of is sleepypod. No experience with either but I see it recommended on that FB group.

More FYI for this subject.
Dog Sport Vehicle Ideas & Set-ups on Facebook.
Also within the group they have a safety thread which is informative and has some crash photos of crates (nothing gruesome).

More FYI for this subject.
Dog Sport Vehicle Ideas & Set-ups on Facebook.
Also within the group they have a safety thread which is informative and has some crash photos of crates (nothing gruesome).
Yep that's the group!

I ended up getting a Ruff Land from Orvis. $50 off coupon and $20 shipping.
Had to get an XL. Joe is tall. If you look at his photos you can see has got some really long legs.

I ended up getting a Ruff Land from Orvis. $50 off coupon and $20 shipping.
Had to get an XL. Joe is tall. If you look at his photos you can see has got some really long legs.

I have a CX5 as well (2019 model) and am looking at the XL ruffland (long legs here, too, he's a bit taller than his 33in tall crate that he sleeps in when he's standing up outside of it. Does your Ruffland fit well in the CX5, and do you mind me asking how you have it configured? It looks like the only way I can get it to fit would be to have it mostly on top of the back seats because of the curved hatchback/rear window glass, so I was thinking about putting 2/3 of the backseat down and having it sit there (with front and rear entry doors facing the trunk and driver's seat).

Thanks in advance!

Back