Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Questions - 10 week old puppy

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by hunterdobie, Aug 14, 2019.

1. hunterdobie

hunterdobie New Member

helloo!

I've got a few questions regarding different things for Hunter (my puppy) so I figured I'd just make one thread and ask everything :D apologies if this ends up really long..

- I am currently in the process of changing Hunter's food, he's going onto Orijen and its been 3 days and all is going well! I was wondering how much to feed him though since I hear a lot of different amounts. He still seems very hungry after eating but his weights fine right now. I feed him about 350 grams of kibble a day (split for breakfast, lunch and dinner). Should I up the amount and by how much?

- To change up his diet a bit at times what sort of things do you feed your dobermans?
    I'm giving him 2 chicken necks a week but I'd love to add other things in the future, just not sure what. Also, when I'm giving him these extra foods should I reduce his kibble for that day or just add it on top?

- He's got a great temperament most of the time, he's fine with car rides and his collar and leash but while i'm putting him into his harness (I use it for car rides to secure him in on that instead of by his collar), he growls and goes to bite me every time, multiple times before its even on. The part he hates is the strap that goes under his chest and buckles around. I've used treats to help but he still goes to bite my arm and its not in a playful way. Any possible reasons why he might hate it being put on so much and how to help? I'm probably going to try putting it on inside to get him used to it.

- Crate training! So he goes into his crate easily when I tell him to and once he's asleep he'll be in there for anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 and a half hours. However, if I don't stay there before he's fallen asleep he will cry, and cry. I've tried to ignore him but it goes on and my household gets pretty annoyed by it at night. Is it alright that I stay there 'till he falls asleep or is that bad? I don't make it a big deal when I let him out or put him in but he struggles to be alone, ever. I don't want to make his separation anxiety worse than it will naturally be, how to go about helping him be alright alone?
    Also, when he cries in the middle of the night is it alright that I get up and go let him do his business and go back in? When should I start making it so that I decide when he comes out for that? (I know puppies need to go quite regularly).

- Lastly, I took him to the vet yesterday because I was concerned at how much he started urinating. Upwards of 15 times a day (excluding nighttime), he would go and then 10 minutes later go again and then 10 minutes later again.. They tested his urine and basically, the vet wasn't totally sure he had any infection but there was a small trace of one. He said getting the medication was up to me because he didn't know if it was necessary. A day and a half later and his urination seems to be pretty normal despite me not giving him the medication yet (typical lol). Should I still give him the antibiotics? Any downside to giving him them if he mightn't need it?

Thanks for reading if you did haha, much appreciated. I feel like I'm still forgetting some questions but I guess I'll make another thread once they come to me :p

2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Unless the Vet specifically saw evidence of infection or grit in his urine sediment I would Not give any antibiotics. His immune system is immature and still developing and antibiotics can interfere with that. Also if kills off good gut bacteria. Find a good probiotic and start him on that, also a Tri Cran C, which is a powdered (granular) vitamin C with cranberries. It’s great for their system and helps prevent UTIs. I use Nature’s Farmacy for all my supplements and probiotics. @strykerdobe uses some good quality supplements and can chime in with his vast knowledge on this subject.

I would reconsider giving Orijen as its formula has changed significantly from the original. Also research diet related DCM in dogs before making a food switch. I feed a raw diet which I feel is far more healthy than any kibble so do some research on feeding raw. Many on the forum feed raw so hopefully they will chime in since they are far more experienced than I am.
    @strykerdobe, @Rits, @AresMyDobie

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Forgot to mention the growling and biting. That’s puppy behavior but I would firmly correct that behavior with a quick scruff and a firm NO until he learns that is not acceptable behavior.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hunterdobie

hunterdobie New Member

Thanks for your response : ) I'll look into probiotics and cran tri c!

As for feeding Orijen, I made a post regarding which kibble to feed him and was considering Canidae but went with Orjien. A lot of people use black hawk here. I'm struggling to find a kibble I'm comfortable with as there aren't many reviews on the Australian brands and the others sold here are controversial. It's likely I'll consider a raw diet in the future but it works better for me to use kibble right now.
    If I change his kibble every 1 or 2 bags do you think it will be alright if I still use Orijen in the rotation? SUPER difficult finding a brand that is safe, oh my gosh.
    If you have any time to, I've listed a lot of the brands available to me in this thread, Puppy Food - anything off that list you might recommend just from looking at it?

Once again, thank you :'D

5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It's hard to give a specific amount since they all vary so much. I keep and eye on their body condition and adjust from there. With growth spurts they will need a bit more but if they start looking chunky I'll cut it back by 1/4 cup or so.

That's a tough one at night when the rest of your family is trying to sleep. I think it's okay to stay in the room where he can see you as long as you don't interact with him to let him know he's going to get attention if he raises a fuss. I'd definitely make him get used to it alone during the day when there's no one to wake up if he does fuss. I also fed our pups in the crate so they really looked forward to going in there at certain times; whether I was in the room or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

I can't answer all your questions but I'll touch on midnight potty sessions!

If he's alerting you, yes, get up and take him outside. But it's right out side, pottying, and then right back inside. No play or anything exciting. I think I still gave Moo a treat when he went back into his crate after because I wanted him to look forward to that, as well.

Puppies can typically be in their crate without an accident for about 1 hour for every month of age. He's 10 weeks so his 2.5 hour crate naps in between potty breaks are a pretty indicator that he's right on track. They seem to get overnight grooves a little bit faster; I think Moo was about 5 months before he was consistently sleeping throughout the night.

I don't think you can decide to *not* acknowledge nighttime potty needs sounds. My almost 4 year old started making sounds two nights ago in the middle of the night so we got up and took her out (the runs from something :pullhair:). It's honestly better than the alternative...

If he gets to a point where he's making potty sounds and then NOT going potty when you take him out, that would be an issue but we can deal with that later if it happens :thumbsup2:

Oh, for the not being able to leave him in his crate while he's still awake, I would get a kong or something that he gets ONLY when you leave him in his crate. It'll give him a tasty treat and a little mental stimulation! Kongs are also generally OK to leave your dog alone with but make sure you're checking the integrity of the rubber.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

I see you live Down Under. Does the Orijen you feed say Made In Canada???

CHAMPION PETFOODS LP

11403-186 STREET NW
    EDMONTON, AB T5S 2W6
    CANADA

It would be a little concerning if the bag says Made In USA. Champion Foods built a brand new plant a few years ago in Kentucky U.S.A
    And their ingredients have changed from the Canadian made Orijen.

We used to feed Orijen long time ago before (the new plant was built) switching to a Raw Diet.

For a puppy feeding chicken necks if they are eating the bone. I would be concerned with them getting too much calcium.

There are lots of great Raw Feeding sites on Facebook.
    I always tell new people to joint these groups and read some books.
    Some people think a raw diet is just feeding chicken wings! I tell them no your eventually are going to kill your dog if you just feed chicken wings. From the lack of not feeding Organ, other muscle meats and Omega 3's!

Raw feeding is not hard once you get going.

About Raw feeding. You do have one of the most knowledgeable persons right in Bathurst, New South Wales Australia. Look up Give Your Dog a Bone by Ian Billinghurst and some others. Lots of great books and probably cheaper there.

Dr Ian Billinghurst | Pet Nutritionist
    https://www.drianbillinghurst.com
    Dr Ian Billinghurst. B.V.Sc.(Hons), Bsc.Agr., Dip Ed. Veterinary Surgeon Acupuncturist Nutritionist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one on Amazon is very expensive. It's on Amazon in the U.S. for $110 :rp:
    [​IMG]

8. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

@strykerdobe there are 2 "Grow your Pups" books on ebay right now, for $52 and $60 pre-owned, if you're wanting one.

• Like Like x 1