Dog Crate and Standing Desk

crypticintent

Hot Topics Subscriber
So our project before we got our little girl was to build a crate.
I just got authorization from my work to be able to do a lot more remote work (my job does not matter about being in office) so my wife, good friend and I decided to make a combination crate and standing desk.

If need be, I’ll try to get the design docs from my friend.

So, here is our lumber.
AB9E7D08-C5C4-4D82-B68A-47C1B34B1465.jpeg

This is what all our framing looks like before adding floors and tops, windows and doors
D050E3F6-002E-415C-946B-5F2B513192DB.jpeg

Fully assembled and testing for location.
E91923D6-5896-495C-B8E9-2F5091A92F0F.jpeg

Staining time! (Two weeks prior to arrival of puppy)
DA8CC0C4-31E7-400E-AB11-EBB45D1B9B2E.jpeg

Adding office elements and comforts
D08589CA-F807-43BE-87A4-49D6137FAF39.jpeg

First time in crate, learning what it is
FB762D16-12E3-4A07-996B-61CB19D718EA.jpeg

First day actually working from home. Already consider the crate a home base and really loving the fact the daddy can be bugged for scratchies any time.
B6F360C9-A823-4625-B277-C44121B8AFCB.jpeg

When my youngest son was in high school he excelled in shop class. He loved designing and building things. He designed a huge wall unit that housed our computer, sound system and television along with 2 built in crates and bookshelves. The unit was huge but was in pieces that came apart in sections for easy moving. It was also way too big for this house but the people that bought our house loved it and wanted to buy it. Still regret selling it.
Good job on your masterpiece and I think it will be a perfect place for your girl to safe while your working.

Looks good but you have no toe space. If you put it up a bit, it will be more comfortable.
ETA: What is the height at top?

So far we are fairly able to redirect it.
She loves bark outside but anytime a mouth goes near window sill or her crate she gets one of the harshest gutteral no.

We also designed all sides to be removable and can put in steel or wrought iron for windows/doors, in case she just has to chew on wood

So far we are fairly able to redirect it.
She loves bark outside but anytime a mouth goes near window sill or her crate she gets one of the harshest gutteral no.

We also designed all sides to be removable and can put in steel or wrought iron for windows/doors, in case she just has to chew on wood
Good planning! Redirection is the best thing. Kaiser was gnawing on baseboards as a puppy. The first time I actually caught him I was really furious because I was standing right next to him but had turned my back to look at my phone. Then I hear this unusual sound. Anyway, he got the memo and that's the last time he's done that.

Very creative and nicely constructed! I'd be more worried about the pup chewing up the crate pad than the wood. LOL
I think a good share of us have been there with buying nice pads or beds only to have the pup think it's fun to chew up. ;)

I thought the same thing @JanS but then zoomed in that it is made by Kong. Does this make it somewhat indestructible?

then zoomed in that it is made by Kong. Does this make it somewhat indestructible?
I've never tried their crate pads but it's been hit and miss depending on many of the Kong toys we've had over the years.

She does not chew the kong pad at all, now put a blanket it there and she bites and suckles it.

Its a heavy duty vinyl canvas. We shall see if it holds up.

Back