Doberman Sensing Emotions

Lizbeli

Hot Topics Subscriber
Long post warning.

So I have read how in tune dogs are with their owners feelings. Especially so with these Dobermans. I experienced it today with Jasper. Not like any other dog I have had.

My dad went the the hospital yesterday. He is battling stage 4 cancer and the new immunotherapy caused him to fall into diabetic ketoacidosis (sugar over 400).

This morning I got more bad news regarding his white cell count being zip. And of course with covid- he is all alone and in a lot of pain from other new medical concerns. He is fighting a big battle all alone, it kills me.

I had a major anxiety attack, which is NOT like me. I have control. I can handle stress. But im a daddys girl, my father means the world to me, and I feel like I am losing him. So, I lost it.

Jasper would not leave me alone. I sat down, sobbing, and he laid his whole body on me and continuously licked my face. I wrapped my arms around him and immediately felt better. It was so strange. I went from hardly being able to breath, to petting the dog and halting my tears. When I calmed down he just stayed on me. But I went to grab my phone after getting more text updates, I started to get upset again. Jasper knocked my phone out of my hand! On purpose? Did he attribute the phone to my stress? Idk. Maybe just a coincidence.

Since then he has been closer to me today than usual. He is calm too. Not pressuring me for exercise. Just letting me be. I took the day off of work, I can’t risk messing up and harming my officers from a bad dispatch or whatever.

But I have Jasper by my side and I finally understand through experience, what an emotional support dog could do for people who go through these feelings on a day to day basis. I am just a loss for words. Wanted to share this to show my appreciation for this breed.

6CDDEF78-8CB7-4EF7-9CC6-FD51A61ED143.jpeg

I firmly believe ESA have a place in this world alongside SDs. Even with no training required, they should be well behaved. Jasper is a fine example of that. So sorry to hear about your Dad and him being alone. My Dad is my world too and I couldn't imagine. Jasper is a good boy for recognizing your needs in a time like that. He's in your life for a good reason.

Praying for your dad and you!

I know from personal experience just how amazing this breed is.

They are in tune with your emotional and physical needs and are right by you to guide you through it.
They love you more than themselves and show it everyday.

Good boy Jasper.:love:

Sorry that you are in such a situation. So hard not to be able to be there with your Dad! Jasper has proved himself again and he is still only a youngster.

So sorry to hear about your Dad, I really hope things get better.

Amazing bond between you and Jasper.

I am sorry for the difficulty you are going through. Jasper is a gift. It is very true they feel what we are feeling.

Also, when you send your dad loving and healing thoughts and prayers they sure reach him even though you are not in the same room. We (living beings) are invisibly connected in so many more ways than we take for granted on a daily basis.

Sending you good vibes and healing wishes.

I'm so sorry about your dad. Like AnnV said, connections can be made across the miles, just as we are doing here, sending heartfelt thoughts to you. But also as we all know, physical connection like how Jasper wants to be close, is so important in times like these and it's got to be unbearable that you can't be right there with your dad. Know we care, and without a doubt Jasper will be at your side to comfort you.

Thanks everyone for the prayers, definitely more painful without visitation..

I was just so taken back with his reaction. Throughout the rest of the night there were times I was starting to think about it and I teared up. Jasper would nose poke me. He gave me a distraction. Just amazing.

But now this morning he is rearing to go haha.

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear about your dad, but I hope he will pull through this. This part of the pandemic, the isolation, is really just the worst. As if a person doesn’t feel helpless already going through an illness, now families can’t even be together. It is comforting to hear how Jasper reacted. Bringing you his ball, I always take that as a sweet gesture of them trying to share the things that make them happy.

I'm so sorry for you and your Dad having to go through this. :( These dogs are amazing support and are so in tune with our feelings that they really do help you through things like this.

Sorry to hear about Dad and I will keep your family in my prayers.
Yes in my experience Dobermans are very sensitive and in tune with their owners emotions.
Inspite of their reputation as a vicious breed anyone that has formed a close bond with one knows better.
I lost a dear friend about a month ago, it was sudden and unexpected. I was devastated and in mourning.
Maja definitely picked up on it and was not about to leave my side. She is always very affectionate & loving but was especially so while I went thru the grieving process.
Just another reason why I love dobermans so much.
MR

What a sweetheart Jasper is!! A sweet distraction and a loving companion! Sending you all prayers during this difficult time! Not being able to be with our loved ones in the hospital now is certainly frustrating.

I’m so sorry to hear about your dads struggle :( I can’t even begin to imagine what you guys are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you throughout this difficult time.

Jaspers picking up on your emotional distress. He’s telling you “I’m here for you.” That’s really special! You’re going through a hard time, having a completely nonjudgemental, non-verbal, loyal companion will be an incredible help.

We’re here for you, too. Take care of yourself!

Prayers for you during this time!!! Love the comfort, peace, love, strength and all the other feels dogs can give us when they just know we need it!!:love:

Back