DNA testing and High level of COI

absover

Novitiate
Hi everyone, I'm a new member and the owner of an European Doberman puppy. The boy is 13 weeks old. Recently, I got his DNA results from Embark. All markers are clear. Then I noticed that his inbreeding coefficient is 54%. After doing some online research, I realized how serious this factor is. I'm concerned regarding his future health issues and life span. Have anyone here had a dog with a high level of COI and can share their experience? I greatly appreciate any thoughts or advices regarding this matter.

Welcome from Minnesota!

The COI is going to be a bit higher in Dobermans because of their original breeding. I will say that 54% is getting up there but it doesn't necessarily mean he's going to have health issues because of it. I'd worry more about the health testing on the parents and the longevity of the lines.

What were his parent's health test results? That will give you a good idea of what you need to look out for. Any doberman I would try to get a yearly echo and holter done starting at 2 to keep an eye on heart health. DCM is often a silent killer or you won't see any symptoms until its too late.

I have a friend who's dobe is at 49% and if you look at the pedigree; there are no related dogs in 3 generations..... My Clarke's COI was 48% and he was out of a 'line breeder' where all of them were related. Not so sure how COI works; but agree that knowing what the parents health is and longevity in the pedigree will give you an indication of what to look for. And cardiologist exams starting early are a must in this breed...no matter where they come from.

I have a friend who's dobe is at 49% and if you look at the pedigree; there are no related dogs in 3 generations..... My Clarke's COI was 48% and he was out of a 'line breeder' where all of them were related. Not so sure how COI works
The COI measures genetic relatedness, so even if the recent pedigree shows all different dogs in 3 generations they are still very much related (some more than others) if you keep going back. That's why they came up with the genetic COI rather than looking at pedigrees. Our breed is snowballing downhill so to speak, picking up more & more of the same genes faster & faster. There is nothing good to come of it, sadly. Breeders must work on out-crossing good longevity lines instead of just using the same lines repeatedly.

but agree that knowing what the parents health is and longevity in the pedigree will give you an indication of what to look for. And cardiologist exams starting early are a must in this breed...no matter where they come from.
^^^ Agree^^^

any thoughts or advices regarding this matter.

First of all, congrats on your new puppy - we'd love to see pictures and for you to share his antics here as he grows up!
Is this your first Doberman?

What's already been said says it all. I'm on a soapbox on it quite often here, but what you have you cannot change. If you aren't up on DCM news we have several threads you can find on here using the search box. The main thing to know is that the DCM1 & 2 tests can be clear and the dog still develop DCM and you can have markers for one or both and the dog never get it. Not to say they are useless, they have been associated with the disease. Just know that they are not to be relied on for your dogs heart health. That's why it's repeated here about testing to catch it early.

Welcome to Doberman Chat from New Mexico!

Back